The dark underbelly of Facebook groups

zelticgar

So I've been spending some times with friends trolling facebook groups and I have found a lot of scary stuff. My most recent discovery is Reptilian Alien Discovery groups and Flat Earth Dating groups.

Does anyone else have experience with some of these eeerrr, unique groups? I'd love to hear about any wacky groups you are familiar with or even involved with. No judging but the deeper I dig into this world the more enjoyable it becomes. 

I don't have a direct reply, but I read this quote somewhere, but I can't recall who said it. It was along the lines of: "Parody and sincerity are impossible to distinguish at their most extreme."

It's really hard to tell who is genuinely deluded and who is just pulling your leg.

Well not really that related but I joined a Blade Runner fan group on facebook and as I am cosplaying Pris in a couple months I posted some pictures of myself in the wig and makeup and asked for tips and apparently totally offended quite a few people with...well, my FACE. One dude  who had such a problem with my face (claimed I was doing a duck face when it was just my natural lip shape LMAO..not duck face AT ALL) claimed he went through all my pictures that were public and he zoomed in on a few and said I was contorting my face (WHAT !?) and that his wife was a plastic surgeon and he knew I was a liar and that I was an emotional manipulator and I should apologise to him for causing him distress!!! 

I honestly couldn't get over such a freakin WEIRDO like..GET A GRIP !!!! such a WEIRD dude can only imagine some of the people that pop up in genuine weird facebook groups and not just fan pages for famous movies

only 'weird' groups I'm a part of are some 'shitposting' groups lol. 

but some people are just so ...well...strange!!!!

most people were really nice and offered some great makeup tips and tips for my wig but other than a few ''your face looks stupid comments'' this one dude was just AGGRESSIVELY offended and outraged that after his insult i calmly called him out on it being rude and unnecessary to make a comment about my appearance and he wouldn't stop going on tirades about how i had tried to make him feel guilty and i was emotionally blackmailing him and causing him distress and i was a liar, a liar, a liar. 

creepo - i should have blocked him straight away 

43 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I don't have a direct reply, but I read this quote somewhere, but I can't recall who said it. It was along the lines of: "Parody and sincerity are impossible to distinguish at their most extreme."

It's really hard to tell who is genuinely deluded and who is just pulling your leg.

Poe's law

37 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

other than a few ''your face looks stupid comments''

Does this group have any moderators? All those people should have been banned immediately, let alone the particularly obsessive creep. :angry2:

4 minutes ago, felice said:

Does this group have any moderators? All those people should have been banned immediately, let alone the particularly obsessive creep. :angry2:

It does I think the admin was one of the people being nicest to me about my cosplay so I was a bit upset nothing was done about it really. It kind of really upset me for a couple days I only wanted to share my costume with some fellow fans and most people were nice but some were real nasty like the very act of posting a picture of oneself was totally offensive even tho the group rules said it was a page for cosplayers as well as fans...

I didn't care about the negative comments tho just this one dude who got so weird about it and so personally offended and hostile towards me and claimed to have gone through my profile and analysed every single one of my photos to come to his deluded conclusion that I was doing a duck face...which...I wasn't...such a stupid thing to get so weird about it and he looked old enough to be my dad ...

5 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It does I think the admin was one of the people being nicest to me about my cosplay so I was a bit upset nothing was done about it really. It kind of really upset me for a couple days I only wanted to share my costume with some fellow fans and most people were nice but some were real nasty like the very act of posting a picture of oneself was totally offensive even tho the group rules said it was a page for cosplayers as well as fans...

I didn't care about the negative comments tho just this one dude who got so weird about it and so personally offended and hostile towards me and claimed to have gone through my profile and analysed every single one of my photos to come to his deluded conclusion that I was doing a duck face...which...I wasn't...such a stupid thing to get so weird about it and he looked old enough to be my dad ...

Maybe you took his idea for a costume and upstaged him. 

Just now, maarsen said:

Maybe you took his idea for a costume and upstaged him. 

Lol maybe!!! 

He went on some huge rant out stringing up people who do duck face so more likely he's just a total delusional weirdo with a chip on his shoulder who hates young women :lol: 

50 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Flat Earth dating groups?  What so their inability to recognize simple truths will "breed true"?

Theda,

The person you were dealing with in the Blade Runner group is known colloquially as a "raging asshole".  He's not worth your time or effort.

I've been posting photos of the earth from space to freak them out. :) 

5 hours ago, Squab said:

Poe's law

WOW! :D

This was just some bloke! That's so cool! :D Nathan Poe, just somebody whose words are now immortalised. Impressive. :) 

I came across a dino denier group once. It was crazy. Their nemesis was "big paleo". Their theory was that big paleo was spreading dinosaur lies because money. I was not aware that there was so much money in paleontology. I don't think paleontologists are aware that there's so much money in paleontology. My roommate ended up texting back and forth with the admin of the group. The admin even sent him a picture of her black eye, which she said she got when one of big paleo's goons threw a bottle at her.

7 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Theda, wtf are you doing giving that guy's idiocy any time/thought after he proved himself such an idiot? 

Also: stop making duck faces!

Well soon as he said he had gone through my profile I was like NOPE and deleted - got caught up in trying to reply and be a smart ass I guess when should have just blocked instantly 

And I don't :( 

I've been on a pretty long thread in the Reptilian Alien group arguing that I am capable of physically defeating a reptilian if I were ever to be in a 1:1 combat situation. I've been warned of their amazing strength and ruthlessness. Eventually it devolved into a debate around whether Reptilians are capable of extending friendship to earthlings. 

I got booted from the Flat Earther group though. I accused the wrong person of being a Rounder. 

9 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Okay, I've got a story.

About a month ago I took part in a discussion on a feminist facebook page that I follow, where people were talking about a chapter in Lena Dunham's autobiography where she talks about looking at her sister's genitals when both girls were younger than ten. I made a comment basically saying that I've spent a lot of time working with children through CASA, and that this sort of behavior, while to really talked about very much due to taboos, is pretty normal. Also that it's not possible for a child of seven to be a pedophile (as many were claiming).

Now child abuse is obviously some heavy subject matter, but I thought I made a pretty reasonable response.

Then about five minutes later a gentleman with a Gadsden flag as his profile picture posted about a dozen responses in a row calling me a liar, claiming I want to be a woman, decrying the hypocrisy of feminists, progressives, and liberalism in general, and personally accusing me of being a pedophile. I blocked him shortly after that, but apparently not before he found his way to my friends list, because the next day a number of my contacts received messages from him claiming that I "advocate child rape."

Jesus...people are fucking nuts!! I honestly don't understand what makes people think they can go on to someone's profile and contact their friends!! Soooo creepy...

6 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

I've been on a pretty long thread in the Reptilian Alien group arguing that I am capable of physically defeating a reptilian if I were ever to be in a 1:1 combat situation. I've been warned of their amazing strength and ruthlessness. Eventually it devolved into a debate around whether Reptilians are capable of extending friendship to earthlings. 

I got booted from the Flat Earther group though. I accused the wrong person of being a Rounder. 

LMAO this reptilian group sounds fun 

Nothing so fun as a lizard person conspiracy group, but I've been a member of a picky eaters' group for a while now. I'm not a picky eater at all, but it's not against their rules, lots of their members are there to figure out how to deal with a picky eater in their family, often a kid. Originally I joined out of morbid curiosity and I figured I'd just snicker to myself once in a while, but it's actually kind of sad. Lots of them are nice folks who are very much aware that they have a problem and would like to eat better, but just can't. I haven't left because it really is kind of illuminating, and I'm definitely more sympathetic as a result.

Archived