College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

That's a tough loss for WVU.  I feel for you guys.

I keep hoping we can get a little breathing room, but Purdue keeps making some crazy threes.  Haas for Purdue is damn good; kid looks like Hitler's wet dream though.

14 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Lavar Ball - I cannot even watch that, nor do I want to or even see any reason why this guys opinion even matters. It's like the Kardashian's and the dumbasses that keep their bank account fat by giving them attention, for what? I know it's a going to get him rich and having at least one son that can play in the NBA, will help that. But, for the life of me, why does this man get national airtime and headlines? Its the ravings of a madman. Jordan cant gaurd him? Shit, the Roof is the Ceiling, man!

Watch it. It's absolutely the rantings and ravings of two crazed blowhards. 

9 hours ago, Triskan said:

I thought Gonzaga played like shit today and yet won.  How do they not feed Karnowski way more?   

Thing is, WVU had another poor shooting performance. My hat go w's off to the Zags, I think they're a good team. But, we wasn't near our best offensively, and the reason the Zags didn't look their best was because of our D. I do think they handled it fairly decent though. If we could've had some shots fall, we win that game by 10. Offensive boards, and wait for it....FREE THROWS kept us in the game.

Your daily dose of UK propaganda:  Kentucky is the most honest team in college basketball.

With a little shade thrown Coach K's way as a bonus :)

My favorite quote:

In fact, Duke product Kyrie Irving believing the earth is flat suggests the Blue Devils aren’t going to class or learning beyond basketball at all.

If anything tonight, I would love Lonzo Ball to go fucking Gonzo on UK. If the guy is legit, then let's see a game from him for the ages. Bombing 35 footers and just controlling the game in every fashion. If he does, He's won me over. If they lose and he can't handle the spotlight then that don't hide well for who he is as a player. That said, this tourney hasn't has that signature player that just wills his team to victory. I want that. The tourney needs that.

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Thing is, WVU had another poor shooting performance. My hat go w's off to the Zags, I think they're a good team. But, we wasn't near our best offensively, and the reason the Zags didn't look their best was because of our D. I do think they handled it fairly decent though. If we could've had some shots fall, we win that game by 10. Offensive boards, and wait for it....FREE THROWS kept us in the game.

More or less agree.  I give Gonzaga's half court D a lot of credit.  They were a real pain in the ass.  WVU did shoot very poorly, the entire game :bang:, but Gonzaga did a good job of not giving up anything easy.  Was a defensive battle with neither O really clicking and WVU got edged out at the end.  That last 3 from Gonzaga... even though there was still about 1 minute left it just had the feel of a dagger type shot.  We were shooting so poorly overall that overcoming a 3 point deficit in the clutch actually felt a bit out of reach to me, and unfortunately it was.  I think if you play that game 10 times, WVU takes half of them, but someone had to win.

As to the future outlook.  WVU is going to miss Adrian from a leadership standpoint, but he is the only significant loss.  Meyers has been great in flashes and is super like-able but certainly not irreplaceable as a guard coming off the bench.  Other than that, everyone is back next year.  Carter has a shot at being the best PG in the Big XII next year.  The other ray of hope is that despite a poor shooting performance last night, and a handful of other times this season, this years' team was a much better shooting team than the last one - and if you look at the youngest guys on the team - West, Bolden, Bender - they are all shooters.  West killed me missing some wide open looks last night from 3 but I've seen him hit those before and he's just a freshman.  He'll get better.  Anyway, if WVU can maintain the same level of defensive intensity and continue to improve as an offensive squad then next years' team has the potential to be even better than this one.  It'll have plenty of veterans and the young guys should help continue the trend of better scoring.  

4 hours ago, S John said:

More or less agree.  I give Gonzaga's half court D a lot of credit.  They were a real pain in the ass.  WVU did shoot very poorly, the entire game :bang:, but Gonzaga did a good job of not giving up anything easy.  Was a defensive battle with neither O really clicking and WVU got edged out at the end.  That last 3 from Gonzaga... even though there was still about 1 minute left it just had the feel of a dagger type shot.  We were shooting so poorly overall that overcoming a 3 point deficit in the clutch actually felt a bit out of reach to me, and unfortunately it was.  I think if you play that game 10 times, WVU takes half of them, but someone had to win.

As to the future outlook.  WVU is going to miss Adrian from a leadership standpoint, but he is the only significant loss.  Meyers has been great in flashes and is super like-able but certainly not irreplaceable as a guard coming off the bench.  Other than that, everyone is back next year.  Carter has a shot at being the best PG in the Big XII next year.  The other ray of hope is that despite a poor shooting performance last night, and a handful of other times this season, this years' team was a much better shooting team than the last one - and if you look at the youngest guys on the team - West, Bolden, Bender - they are all shooters.  West killed me missing some wide open looks last night from 3 but I've seen him hit those before and he's just a freshman.  He'll get better.  Anyway, if WVU can maintain the same level of defensive intensity and continue to improve as an offensive squad then next years' team has the potential to be even better than this one.  It'll have plenty of veterans and the young guys should help continue the trend of better scoring.  

Plus ttwo great recruits coming in (Nebraska POY (forget his name, Teddy something, who could replace Adrian maybe, but is more of a 2 or 3. Said he could be a 5 star by end of year.) And a point guard from Hargrave, that Huggs likens to a Staten with a jump shot. Plus, I'm sure the trend will continue of getting highly rated JUCO players who fill a roll. I also think Konate (sp) has a chance to be a really great big man.

Watching Pit, and Tony K said WVU shot 27% from the field...... like I said, only team that could beat us is us and that's what happened. Tony K said, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but if WVU shoots 29%, they win that game. I knew it's what would end up beating us, and it fucking pisses me off. Rant over. 

If anyone had even a small amount of doubt about Lavar Ball not being out for himself more than his kids despite his constant statements in public saying otherwise, give this article a quick read. This shit goes way beyond just saying outlandish shit for attention, dude is a fucking prick.

8 hours ago, Triskan said:

By the way, Rhom and Ned, I would be remiss if I didn't say something like this today:  Your scent is weak.  I challenge you.

If memory serves, Gonzaga is nigh-identical to Oregon in that they've made the 8 three times in the modern era:  that first breakout year under Dan Monson and then twice under Few in the last, ahem, few years, but lost at that round all three times.  My hunch is that Gonzaga edges out Xaxier to make their first Final Four this year but that Oregon loses to KU who looks like the most complete team now.  

It's almost comical to compare the two regions going at it today.  In one you have all top seeds remaining with UNC v. Butler and UK v. UCLA.  Then you have chaos across the way with the 1 and the 2 gone.  

Challenge accepted! 

Xavier will give Gonzaga all they want... not predicting a win, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't come down to the final minutes.  

SoCar is owning Baylor!  

Now I'm going to rant about my disdain for Fairweather Fans for a moment... Ned Jr. and Ned III are at their mother's watching the game tonight, much to my chagrin, but that's how the parenting schedule worked out.  On that note, at least 3 of my neighbors and 3 people in my circle of friends have asked to come over tonight to watch the game on 60" 1080p and Dolby surround.  None of them gave a shit until 5 days ago, and when I asked each in turn to name 4 players on UK's roster, none of them passed the test.  So I politely replied "I prefer to watch these things, instead of have them on in the background."  Fuck off.  Sure, it would've been a great watch party, with the game as an afterthought.  No thanks.  

And yes the bourbon is flowing freely.

S-E-C  S-E-C S-E-C!!! :D 

I hadn't looked at the brackets since mine went to shit yesterday with Arizona losing... but I notice Junior still hanging in second place with 3 of his final 4 teams still alive... pending a UK win later tonight.

Baylor is trying to mount a late surge.... Frank Martin needs to get his mobster on

Frank Martin got his mobster on.  None of those players want to see themselves and all their relatives sleeping with the fishes this night.

Joking aside... my opinion of him has completely changed over the tournament.  I used to think he was too intense and worked his players too hard throughout the regular season, but we're seeing the fruits of that labor pan out.  I'm sure none of the players are complaining.  And I hear from another poster here that he's actually a likable guy when he's not completely focused on a game.  

37 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Frank Martin got his mobster on.  None of those players want to see themselves and all their relatives sleeping with the fishes this night.

Joking aside... my opinion of him has completely changed over the tournament.  I used to think he was too intense and worked his players too hard throughout the regular season, but we're seeing the fruits of that labor pan out.  I'm sure none of the players are complaining.  And I hear from another poster here that he's actually a likable guy when he's not completely focused on a game.  

His players really seem to love him.  I really liked watching him when he was at K-State, still don't know what they were thinking when they fired him.

Hopefully the late games tonight will be better than the early ones!

Here's some awesomeness to watch during halftime:

"I tell you what, you know what Gary, I hate you.  I've been telling you the whole time it was a Malibu, and now you're the surprised one? Kevin, don't look at me like that. You guys are probably going to edit me right out of the commercial, hunh. I hate all of you."  

:lmao: 

Archived