College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

Apparently they have to tell the NCAA which players were involved within the next 45 days, and that will determine which games are vacated.  I'll bet anybody $1000 that none of those players participated in the title win :rolleyes: 

18 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Apparently they have to tell the NCAA which players were involved within the next 45 days, and that will determine which games are vacated.  I'll bet anybody $1000 that none of those players participated in the title win :rolleyes: 

That's the thing... the NCAA already knows which players were involved (at least the ones that admitted it in their interviews).  Supposedly 3 of them went on to play at Louisville... Makes one curious if they are testing Louisville to own up the truth (good luck with that), or if something more nefarious is going on.  The feeling around local circles here (the Cardinal ones) seems to be they'll be vacating 100+ wins, along with a final 4 and the banner.  Maybe the NCAA is so mad at UNC that they're going to throw the book at UofL?? 

20 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

It is rather bizarre.  They can read a box score as well as any of us.

Kentucky Sports Radio looked at it yesterday.  Some of the dates were odd.  One of the prospects was said to be part of the program from December 2010 until July 2014.

After looking, it was found that Russ Smith played his first game in December of 2010 and was drafted in July 2014.

The local assumption is that banners are coming down.  

And now that the NCAA has crossed that line... even UNC should be nervous.

• 2 weeks later...

Kentucky might have lucked out by missing on Bamba.

His older brother has a very detailed video online describing improper benefits that Bamba received from a booster who reportedly wanted to be in his inner circle when he made the NBA.

Texas is very clearly not implicated, but there's a very real chance that he never plays a mjnute of college ball.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Kentucky might have lucked out by missing on Bamba.

His older brother has a very detailed video online describing improper benefits that Bamba received from a booster who reportedly wanted to be in his inner circle when he made the NBA.

Texas is very clearly not implicated, but there's a very real chance that he never plays a mjnute of college ball.

Sounds like older brother is a bit disgruntled

If I was a top prospect, there is zero chance I'd go play for free and enrich the NCAA. I'd sign a shoe deal and go workout for 9 months with trainers dedicated to teaching me how to play in the league.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

If I was a top prospect, there is zero chance I'd go play for free and enrich the NCAA. I'd sign a shoe deal and go workout for 9 months with trainers dedicated to teaching me how to play in the league.

Yeah.  I'm with you there.

I think a Dante Exum is the poster child for this.  Be a mystery candidate.  Wow them with some athletic highlights but nothing to pick apart.

Skal Labissiere is the flip side of that argument.  Had he sat out a year, he would have likely gone top ten.  Instead, he played and looked lost and only the ineptitude of the Kings kept him in the first round.

Interesting:

Update: Andrew Slater from 247 Sports reports that the NCAA is already aware of the relationship between Mohamed Bamba and Greer Love. The bond between the two goes back further than Bamba’s brother led on, which would make gifts acceptable under the condition of Love being a longstanding relationship before Bamba was an elite prospect. Love founded a program, “Locke’s Lions,” to support the students of an elementary after-school program that he worked with in 2008. Johnson, who made the allegations, faces various criminal charges in multiple states. Love is not a booster of a university, despite the allegation from Johnson.

1 hour ago, S John said:

Heard Coach Cal was interested in the Knicks.  Musta seen the Mountaineers on the schedule and got scared.  :smoking:

Naw, he's just angling for his annual off-season raise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Duke is cancelling their overseas trip so that K can have knee surgery.  Surprised they are letting them go with an assistant coaching, just to let the team get all of that extra time in before the season starts.  But of course the last time an assistant took over it didn't really turn out that well.  How long before he hangs it up?  That's his second surgery this year.

On ‎08‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, Rhom said:

I think that's likely, but part of me will still be shocked if he doesn't pick Duke.

No need to be shocked - he went the wise decision to partner for 35 weeks to be with the best coach in all of coaching history.  Obviously very happy that he has selected Duke, but it's still tempered with they can have all the talent in the world, can they put it together one year at a time since the team will be different in 2018.

Archived