College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

21 hours ago, dbunting said:

Could you imagine the outrage if Luke Kuechley's dad said Carolina couldn't win because of Cam Newtons race?

Personally I chuckled when I read it but it's not ok for him to get away with it.

"Oddly, none of them were beat off the dribble possession after possession in the Bruins’ 86-75 Sweet 16 loss to Kentucky. That honor belonged to Lonzo Ball, LaVar’s son, who watched De’Aaron Fox go for 39 points in 36 minutes."

OUCH!

Yea, I just don't understand. They made a damn movie proving that white men can jump. I guess we need one on footspeed. I find it funny though, that if something was said the other way around, racist accusations would be flying around. "Ahhh, that's just my Dad. He doesnt hurt anyone, always been that way!" Isn't their mom white? Is that why Fox lit him up?

On 4/6/2017 at 3:49 PM, Rhom said:

The Ball family of the South, the Lawsons of Memphis are leaving the program.

After just one year, the local papers are already asking if Tubby was the right hire for Memphis.  :stunned:

Running to Lawrence.  Daddy is staying home though, which actually makes me feel good about the situation.

On 4/6/2017 at 4:49 PM, Rhom said:

The Ball family of the South, the Lawsons of Memphis are leaving the program.

After just one year, the local papers are already asking if Tubby was the right hire for Memphis.  :stunned:

Calkins actually went easy on Tubby in that article. The local radio hosts have spent the entire week eviscerating him, mostly around his lack of engagement with the city and his laziness on the recruiting trail. 

5 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Calkins actually went easy on Tubby in that article. The local radio hosts have spent the entire week eviscerating him, mostly around his lack of engagement with the city and his laziness on the recruiting trail. 

Yeah, its been getting uglier from what I've seen this week.  Tubby has never been one to enamor himself of the AAU circuit.  I think Memphis may have been mistaken if they thought they were getting a guy who would play the city basketball circuit and all the stuff that goes with it.

I don't know how long he'll make it there.

One thing's for sure; I don't see a long line of national writers lining up to apologize to UK fans after writing article after article telling us we should have appreciated such a great coach more than we did in 2008.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

One thing's for sure; I don't see a long line of national writers lining up to apologize to UK fans after writing article after article telling us we should have appreciated such a great coach more than we did in 2008.

:rolleyes: You mean to say you weren't appreciating Tubby circa 2008, during the reign of He Who Shall Not Be Named?

I foresee Memphis continuing to plow through a long line of coaches until they find their next Calipari.  The snapchat video posted by one of the Lawsons seems to highlight fairly well why they weren't a good fit in Tubby's style.  You're getting a good one there, REG

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Then why didn't he play second semester?  Seems pretty evident he didn't want to get hurt and or hurt his draft stock.  1% chance he's back next year.

I think that's exactly it.  Calipari said multiple times that he would only play Diallo if it was right for him, not if it was right for the team.  There's definitely a bit of backlash in the fanbase today. 

Now, if he stays in the draft... how will I feel about it?  I don't know.  Ambivalent I suppose.

What will he decide if he gets a first round grade?  What does a team late in the first round have to lose by taking a flyer on a super athletic, long guard?  At that point, you aren't looking to immediately impact your team anyways, so why not take a guy like him?  Kentucky has a ton of guys in the league, but most of them are on terrible teams because they are drafted high.  Diallo could get a chance to go to a team like Cleveland and be a key reserve.

But if you're Diallo and you think you can be a top 10-15 player in next year's draft, then what do you do?  Its certainly a dilemma I'll never have to face!  :lol: 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I think that's exactly it.  Calipari said multiple times that he would only play Diallo if it was right for him, not if it was right for the team.  There's definitely a bit of backlash in the fanbase today. 

Now, if he stays in the draft... how will I feel about it?  I don't know.  Ambivalent I suppose.

What will he decide if he gets a first round grade?  What does a team late in the first round have to lose by taking a flyer on a super athletic, long guard?  At that point, you aren't looking to immediately impact your team anyways, so why not take a guy like him?  Kentucky has a ton of guys in the league, but most of them are on terrible teams because they are drafted high.  Diallo could get a chance to go to a team like Cleveland and be a key reserve.

But if you're Diallo and you think you can be a top 10-15 player in next year's draft, then what do you do?  Its certainly a dilemma I'll never have to face!  :lol: 

yeah, this was an invested decision on his part - gets the time playing with an elite team, gets some exposure and now can dip the toe in to the lake to see what the appetite will be for him.  I agree with you - this might be his best chance to get to one of the teams who is competing for the title or atleast deep into the playoffs.

Oh wow... in all the carnage yesterday with the ESPN lay offs, this one must have come late and I missed it:

So they let go Katz, Dana O'Neil, and Eammon Brennan over there... who's even left to report on college basketball?  Hey! Last one out, be sure to turn off the lights!  :stunned: 

Also, UNLV pulls in a surprise late addition and gets the number 12 rated recruiting class.

The big surprise was pulling in ‘17 5* Brandon McCoy, who the experts have been calling an Oregon lock for 6 months now. I’m surprised it hasn’t gotten more press. Both because he was supposed to be the dude to continue Oregon’s national ascension and UNLV has been a basketball wasteland that had difficulty finding someone who wanted to coach there last offseason.

And then UNLV signed two 4*s to round out the class yesterday. Talk about late period signing success.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Did Joe Lunardi get canned?  No way that guy should have a job if Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil were let go.

Fake news is much more popular these days than quality reporting.

And Lunardi is the definition of Fake News in the sports world.

Archived