College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

42 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Okay... what am I doing wrong with posting tweets?  I have been posting in the direct link which always used to embed the tweet on this board.  Am I missing something?

You need to hit return/enter after pasting the link, and then give it a second to populate.

48 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

You need to hit return/enter after pasting the link, and then give it a second to populate.

Perfect.  Thanks.

And that’s good news from Daniels! :lol:   No fanbase should feel 100% safe right now.

What makes me somewhat less worried about this whole situation, and KU getting mixed up in it, is how many top recruits we've lost out on recently that were "locks" for us.  And they were lost to the schools already implicated: (off the top of my head) Colin Sexton to Alabama, Terrance Ferguson who eliminated us and it then came down to Arizona and Alabama before academics forced him overseas, DeAndre Ayton committed to Arizona out of nowhere, Kaleb Tarczewski who grew up dreaming of being a Jayhawk and bafflingly chose Arizona.  Yeah, if we were bidding for players, we sure as shit wouldn't be outbid by fucking Alabama basketball.  

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

As a Kentucky fan, I'm not gonna lie.  While I don't think we are going to be in trouble, it'd be wrong to say that I'm 100% confident.  Part of me hopes that schools like UK, Duke and UNC are too big to fail.

I do think that this will expand to at least 20 or 30 schools before its all over.  Will it cross over into college football?  It will likely be the biggest scandal to ever hit college sports.  

I don't think it will cross over to football very much... the AAU/endorsement circuit seems much less prevalent when compared to basketball.  Plus with football it's much more difficult to project high schoolers to the NFL, and the 3 year minimum gap between high school and the pros.  I'm sure football recruiting is still a shady business, but probably not in relation to shoe companies having their hands in it.

ETA:  And I'm with you on not being overly eager to rub it in with fans of little brother until I'm 100% certain UK isn't in on any of this.

28 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I don't think it will cross over to football very much... the AAU/endorsement circuit seems much less prevalent when compared to basketball.  Plus with football it's much more difficult to project high schoolers to the NFL, and the 3 year minimum gap between high school and the pros.  I'm sure football recruiting is still a shady business, but probably not in relation to shoe companies having their hands in it.

ETA:  And I'm with you on not being overly eager to rub it in with fans of little brother until I'm 100% certain UK isn't in on any of this.

Oh... I’ve still been rubbing it in.  I wore a UK tie to work yesterday and today. :lol:  Because even if we were slipping Anthony Davis a couple hundred grand, we weren’t doing it while on probation for hiring hookers. :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

Yeah, this isn't how football cheating works. No apparel company will drop so much as a dime on any high school football player; too much uncertainty. Shady alumni and shifty eyed "football staffers" aka bagmen are a different story. :P

I'm probably spitballing this situation far too extremely but a friend and I were talking about this yesterday - as most are aware, the prime cash cow of the NCAA (the institution, not its member schools) is the men's basketball tournament. If this scandal ends up shaking the foundations of college basketball, could the ripple effect carry down to the core of the NCAA itself? 

@Rhom  

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

The revelation that Coach 2 is (as suspected) Pitino and that "no one swings a bigger dick at Adidas" has had me thinking of this scene from Hot Shots all day.

Nurse check his penis...

:rofl: 

Here's my thing.  Pitino brought us out of The Dark Years left behind by Eddie Sutton (busted for the same thing, more or less, here at UK).  He gave us The Greatest Basketball Game Ever Played using a bunch of farmboys from our home state and one decent recruit in Sean Woods, who embraced the state and the program.  He gave us Banner #6 in 1996, and a runner-up in 1997 (and debatably another banner in 1998 absentia, but I still give credit to Tubby for that one).  Whether what he was then and what he turned into after were one in the same I'll never know... but seeing so many UK fans revel in this just sits wrong with me on several levels.  I'll not join in it.  As much as I revel in defeating Baby Brother on the field, and on the court, I can't revel in this catastrophe, which is still far from over. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Newsflash Rhom, the FBI has documents about UK's involvement with Nike.  Oh (no uh needed), and water is wet!  Story at 11!  Fucking students try to get their names out there.

I don’t know what is out there and what isn’t.  I assume every college paper in America filed a FOIA request within 24 hours of that first day.

Today at media day local asshole Jerry Tipton kept asking about the FBI and Cal said he wanted to talk about his team.  Tipton told him “It’s media day, not coach’s day.”

:lol: 

Here's what our associate AD said:

“What you’re asking about is essentially an inflammatory Tweet that references a story with no real news in it,” Marchiony said. “For example, the Kansan wrote that the presence of documents appears to contradict what Kansas Athletics has said. That’s just inaccurate. All we’ve said since news of the investigation broke was that we had not been contacted by federal investigators. The FBI’s response to the Kansan doesn’t change that.”

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I assume every college paper in America filed a FOIA request within 24 hours of that first day.

And they all got the same form letter back that ours did, they were just smart enough to actually read the letter, because it literally says this in it:

This is a standard notification that is given to all our requesters and should not be taken as an indication that excluded records do, or do not, exist.

But yeah, let's tweet that out as BREAKING NEWS!!!!!N!@!RFWB!(F@!@#!!!!  Trump's standard response actually would be accurate here.

I hope all the blue bloods go down. They deserve it. You know and I know UK is paying every one and done in that roster. And, I hope Calipari doesn't set foot in a gym ever again. You know who's name wasn't brought up????? Anyone? Huggins. We do it right at WVU and still beat the UK's and Duke's. You all deserve what you get. Irrelevancy. See how many 5 stars wanna come to _Kentucky when they ain't getting paid shit. 

Archived