Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, TEN-POCALYPSE

JonCon's Red Beard

16 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Many of my arguments are still valid for Huns, so I am not sure your point. However, even if you are saying the Huns are not as technolgically advanced : War of the Roses - 1400's. The Mongols rise to dominance - Starting in the 1200's. The Huns, for example Attila - 400 (1000 years earlier than the approximate technology of Westeros). So, if anything, you made my point more valid. If GRRM is having the europeanish people use 15th century technology and the asianish characters use 5th century technology, that is even worse than I thought it was. I just want to point out though - The Huns wore armor (they preferred lighter scale or llamaller armor vs. mail) and they were not just barbarians. Attila himself is comsidered again, a great military strategist, unlike the way Khal Drogo is protrayed as a mindless barbarian. And again, the Huns were often outnumbered by those they were fighting, just like I said for the Mongols. You only made my arguments stronger, so thanks I guess

You said the Dothraki were "obviously supposed to be Mongols" and I linked you a quote from the author, who wrote the Dothraki, saying they are not based only on the Mongols. That was my point and GRRM backed it up.

I never said the Huns weren't technologically advance for their time. I said I felt like the Huns, who came long before Mongols, were a closer comparison to the Dothraki. Not that the Dothraki were "obviously supposed to be Huns" because they aren't, just like they aren't supposed to be Mongols like you falsely claimed. Big difference.

You said the Dothraki were "obviously supposed to be Mongols" then went on and on about how the Mongols were different from the Dothraki, how better they were. Contradicting your point that the Dothraki are "obviously supposed to be Mongols." So you'v proved your own point wrong with your own post. Actually it's insulting to the Mongols to say the Dothraki are "obviously supposed" to be them like you did.

In general, though, while I do draw inspiration from history, I try to avoid direct one-for-one transplants, whether of individuals or of entire cultures. Just as it not correct to say that Robert was Henry VIII or Edward IV, it would not be correct to say that the Dothraki are Mongols." - GRRM

6 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

You said the Dothraki were "obviously supposed to be Mongols" and I linked you a quote from the author, who wrote the Dothraki, saying they are not based only on the Mongols. That was my point and GRRM backed it up.

I never said the Huns weren't technologically advance for their time. I said I felt like the Huns, who came long before Mongols, were a closer comparison to the Dothraki. Not that the Dothraki were "obviously supposed to be Huns" because they aren't, just like they aren't supposed to be Mongols like you falsely claimed. Big difference.

You said the Dothraki were "obviously supposed to be Mongols" then went on and on about how the Mongols were different from the Dothraki, how better they were. Contradicting your point that the Dothraki are "obviously supposed to be Mongols." So you'v proved your own point wrong with your own post. Actually it's insulting to the Mongols to say the Dothraki are "obviously supposed" to be them like you did.

In general, though, while I do draw inspiration from history, I try to avoid direct one-for-one transplants, whether of individuals or of entire cultures. Just as it not correct to say that Robert was Henry VIII or Edward IV, it would not be correct to say that the Dothraki are Mongols." - GRRM

Listen dude, you obviously like to argue with people and to be right, but my point was about racism. In your own linked article, GRRM listed the Mongols as one of his inspirations. In other words, they are based partially on Mongols. I never claimed it was 100% because I thought people were intelligent enough to understand that without me explaining it to them like they were my elementary school students. You aren't actually responding to what I was posting about : The racist depiction which is the Dothraki. This response is so far off base it is unbelievable. If you actually want to discuss what I've posted about, feel free to respond to it. If you want to patronize me and try to act like you are smarter than me (despite the fact you are just nitpicking on something I didn't even mean. I know the Dothraki are not completely based on the Mongols), please feel free to not respond cause I have no interest in that. I believe what you are doing can be defined as "trolling". Respond to what I have actually said. You're worse than a grammar nazi. Christ. 

I don't think that Cersei's arc in Feast is that good. While her chapters there are fun to read, Cersei doesn't really have much of a character development in that book and their plot mostly consists of interchangeable council meetings, stupid decisions and random moments of Cersei being evil. 

7 hours ago, Dofs said:

I don't think that Cersei's arc in Feast is that good. While her chapters there are fun to read, Cersei doesn't really have much of a character development in that book and their plot mostly consists of interchangeable council meetings, stupid decisions and random moments of Cersei being evil. 

Her chapters got really redundant and boring really fast. I was done with the crazy after one chapter. 

Jaime chapters also bores me. All the Lannisters have very narcissistic chapters and since I hate them all(excluding Tyrion but he annoys me)I dislike their chapters. 

There are a lot of tragic characters in the story, but one character that always leaves me depressed is Elia. And now knowing that Tywin will never go to trial for his war crime, I wish that GRRM did not even write about her death.

I believe that Joffrey's evilness is greatly exaggerated by a lot of people, probably because he was doing what he was doing mostly to beloved characters and/or because of the show's portrayal, where his evilness was dialed up to eleven. For reference, I don't consider Joffrey as worse than pre-Ramsey Theon (do mind, though, that I consider that Theon as pretty damn bad, so it's not like I think of Joffrey as relatively ok guy).

I don't think Aegon and company suddenly showing up was an ass pull. The hints and foreshadowing are all there. I think it just seems that way due to to the way Feast and Dance were written and the fact that there are (allegedly) 2 books remaining in what should probably have been a 9-volume book series. I mean, if there are 3 acts to this series - Stark-Lannister war; Targaryen conflict; and the Others - then it makes sense that he showed up post-Storm of Swords (also the Others relative absence and mystery until act 3). However I'm not sure Martin paced this story right because if there are 2 books left then the last 2 acts will seem rushed compared to the 1st. And the geographical divide between Feast and Dance also doesn't help with that impression. Aegon technically should have showed up perhaps in Feast if the characters hadn't been separated and his arc would have concluded 2 whole books later.

When I read the books I was quite young and felt annoyed by Sansa's shallowness, properness and willingness to pelase in order to get a decent life with her princy prince. I acted juuuust like her when I had a crush in the years that followed.  :rofl:

Hi Guys! It's the first time I've posted something on this forum so feel free to tell me I'm posting in the wrong place. After scavenging the forums I think this is an okay place to share a crazy theory.

When re-reading the series (again!) I was distracted by Patchface's prophecies, particularly by "Under the sea the mermen feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs." from Dance. The word starfish made me automatically think of Shiera Seastar as starfish are commonly referred to as sea stars. However, when I searched the forums, most posts suggested that the 'starfish' is in reference to the Bolton's sigil being mistaken for a starfish. I could not find a mention of Shiera Seastar in relation to Patchface, but this could be due to me being a bit of a Luddite in terms of forums (or because it's complete crackpot!). I do agree with the general consensus that the 'mermen' refer to the Manderlys due to their sigil and house Celtigar for the 'crabs', who have been lurking in the background of the novels (though I've also seen house Borrell suggested).  

It is much harder to find the meaning of the prophecy, yet I have a feeling it will be similar to "Fool's blood. King's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye, aye, aye." with the meaning only being clear in hindsight. I should say that I highly doubt that a seemingly immortal woman will be liquidised and served to the Manderlys a la Frey Pie (funny pun?). I just wanted to put across another interpretation of the 'starfish', other than the Boltons. So, do I get the reward for the most crackpot idea of the day?

When I first read the series, I was just twelve years old, and somehow, for the entirety of the first book, I did not notice that Renly existed. When we met him again during ACOK, I was just wandering who the hell is this guy. I also thought for years that Baratheon is spelled Baraethon. 

Also, I have a little theory that I'm quite surprised I haven't seen anywhere. I think the Baratheon magic gene does not exist and that there are non-blackhaired Baratheon babies. This means that Myrcella and Tommen might well be Robert's children (Joffrey's nature was little too similar to Jaime in earlier books), but it doesn't really matter. What matters is, that all the characters think they are Jaime's.

I was reading a news article about the advances they're making with exoskeletons. At the end of the article they showed an amputated man with an exoskeleton happily climbing a rockface.

And I thought, If Bran lived in this day and age, he could well be climbing again :-)

Several of my newest far-fetched theories:

Bloodraven, Weirwood and Bran are parallels to serpents Nidhogg/Jörmungandr, mythical ash tree Yggdrasil, and god Odin from North mythology.

The Ironborn believe that the demon tree Ygg had pale wood and fed on human flesh <- this is from The World book. Obviously, that this Ygg tree from their legends is the Weirwood - just look at what it did to Bloodraven, the tree is eating him alive.

Yggdrasil is translater as Odin's horse, or gallows. Other translations are pillar and support -> ADWD, Bran IV: "Under the hill, the broken boy sat upon a weirwood throne, listening to whispers in the dark as ravens walked up and down his arms." One of Odin's names is Hildolfr - Battle Wolf, and Jolfr - Horse-wolf.

Nidhogg/Jörmungandr is a serpent, and Bloodraven is a serpent too, because he is a dragonseed. Nidhogg is a serpent, that gnaws at roots of Yggdrasil tree. There are several legends about Jormungandr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jörmungandr

In one, Thor encounters Útgarða-Loki and has to perform deeds for him, which one was to lift (THIS ->) the serpent in the form of a colossal cat, disguised by the magic of the giant king Útgarða-Loki, who challenges the god to lift the cat as a test of strength. Thor is unable to lift such a monstrous creature as Jörmungandr, but does manage to raise it far enough that it lets go of the ground with one of its four feet.[3] When Útgarða-Loki later explains his deception, he describes Thor's lifting of the cat as an impressive deed.[3]

Bloodraven is a white lion from Dany's vision. When crones in Vaes Dothrak will be kneeling to Dany, at that time in Westeros, Bloodraven will die.

In the vision, white lion went into grass, that was taller than man. This tall grass could be ghost grass of Dothraki legends. So the white lion, going thru that grass, is a symbol of him dying, going to the other side.

Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar are parallels to Lion of Night and Maiden-Made-of-Light. Dothraki believe that the moon is a goddess, and that she is the wife to the sun. 

Lion of Night / Bloodraven is the Sun, and Maiden-Made-of-Light / Shiera is the Moon.

Sun is the gurdian planet of Zodiac sign Leo. Bloodraven's sign is Leo, though in Dany's vision he is a white lion, because he's an albino. Moon is the guardian planet of sign Cancer, so this is Shiera's sign. She was a shadowbinder, and a sorceress. Melisandre is using rubies for her shadow-magic, and Shiera was using moonstones.

ADWD, Jon I:

" “Snow,” the moon insisted.

The white wolf ran from it, racing toward the cave of night where the sun had hidden, his breath frosting in the air. "

<- Bloodraven is the sun, Weirwood cave is the cave of night, the moon is Shiera, she was trying to communicate with Jon, when he had a wolf-dream.

ADWD, Jon III:

" “The Lord of Light made the sun and moon and stars to light our way, and gave us fire to keep the night at bay,” Melisandre told the wildlings. "

ADWD, Jon VI:

" “I can show you.” Melisandre draped one slender arm over Ghost, and the direwolf licked her face. “The Lord of Light in his wisdom made us male and female, two parts of a greater whole. In our joining there is power. Power to make life. Power to make light. Power to cast shadows.”

“Shadows.” The world seemed darker when he said it.

“Every man who walks the earth casts a shadow on the world. Some are thin and weak, others long and dark. You should look behind you, Lord Snow. The moon has kissed you and etched your shadow upon the ice twenty feet tall.

Jon glanced over his shoulder. The shadow was there, just as she had said, etched in moonlight against the Wall. "

ADWD, Jon XII:

"The warrior witch Morna removed her weirwood mask just long enough to kiss his gloved hand and swear to be his man or his woman, whichever he preferred."

ADWD, Dany X:

"She dreamed. All her cares fell away from her, and all her pains as well, and she seemed to float upward into the sky. She was flying once again, spinning, laughing, dancing, as the stars wheeled around her and whispered secrets in her ear. “To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward, you must go back. To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.”

“Quaithe?” Dany called. “Where are you, Quaithe?”

Then she saw. Her mask is made of starlight."

The Mystery Knight:

"Dunk whirled. Through the rain, all he could make out was a hooded shape and a single pale white eye. It was only when the man came forward that the shadowed face beneath the cowl took on the familiar features of Ser Maynard Plumm, the pale eye no more than the moonstone brooch that pinned his cloak at the shoulder. "

Drogo called Dany - Moon of my life, and she called him - My Sun and Stars. Quaithe's mask is probably made from weirwood, and lacquered with blood (she was user of blood magic). Bloodraven is Shiera's "Sun and Stars", her husband/lover. He is the sun in the cave of night, binded to a weirwood tree, and Shiera/Quaithe made her mask from weirwood, because to her, it symbolises her connection to Bloodraven, thus her weirwood mask is "made of starlight".

Shiera Seastar, Quaithe, and the three-eyed crow is the same person. Maybe she's also a wildling witch Morna. Or maybe Morna is daughter or grand-daughter of Bloodraven and Shiera.

After Quaithe left Dany in Qarth, she went to Westeros on Cinnamon Wind, with Sam and Gilly. In Sam's last chapter in AFFC, crows were mentioned three times (if Shiera is the 3EC, and she was on that ship, then maybe this is hints to her presence there, OR NOT):

"Thrice longships were sighted by the crow’s nest."

"Some of the bodies carried complements of crows, who rose into the air complaining noisily when the swan ship disturbed their grotesquely swollen rafts."

"The charge was one Sam had never seen before: a red eye with a black pupil, beneath a black iron crown supported by two crows."

Maybe Euron and Quaithe/Shiera/3EC know each other. He's one of her ex-pupils, same as Mirri Maz Duur, and maester Marwyn.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:36 PM, Remiem said:

Whenever I hear the singer Brandon Flowers mentioned on the radio I think he's some bastard from the reach... 

Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) is the bastard who brought down the wall ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tyrion's remembrances about Tysha are more absurd and amusing than truly saddening, I mean what does one truly know about love at 13?

The only Greyjoy that interests me is Theon. 

I hope Theon survives, or at least dies a peaceful death. 

Tyrion > Jaime, morally at the beginning. (This one's obvious but you don't know how many people think otherwise)

Sansa is smart, insightful and kind. 

Renly isn't an innately cruel person. 

2 hours ago, Peach King said:

Tyrion's remembrances about Tysha are more absurd and amusing than truly saddening, I mean what does one truly know about love at 13?

There is no point in me commenting this but yeah right?  

The only Greyjoy that interests me is Theon. 

I hope Theon survives, or at least dies a peaceful death. 

I agree once again 

Renly isn't an innately cruel person

Is he a cruel person at all? What cruel thing did he even do?  Why do people hate him?  If he won the war,  he would've probably be known in history as King Renly the Sweet or the Charm

Archived