Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, TEN-POCALYPSE

JonCon's Red Beard

On 7/28/2018 at 8:02 PM, Chisa said:

Is he a cruel person at all? What cruel thing did he even do?  Why do people hate him?  If he won the war,  he would've probably be known in history as King Renly the Sweet or the Charm

He does mock people for their appearance, was ok with killing Dany and Viserys, believes in might makes right, etc. But I believe a lot of this has to do with him being thoughtless and unmindful rather than being deliberately cruel. Renly says a lot of things, but it's all careless and flippant, and we're told he's a summer child who doesn't really know what he's doing over and over again.

So to see him denounced as a monster (more than a few), self worshiping tyrant (true words), or terrorist (yeah I know) is just ridiculous because he's just a nobleman who's a little spoiled and self centred beacuse of his upbringing, hardly the "evilest" character around.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A confession:

Every time I read Davos last ADWD chapter, and we're told Manderly knows Rickon is alive but he's in Skagos, I want to scream!!! I always think that Manderly should have just had Rickon and Osha with him already............ it just seems like an uneccessary detour :blush:

I pictured Sam's mast like an actual mast, including those two other adjectives of which I will not remind.  Just not pleasant and he really should get a maester to take a look at that.

Or maybe GRRM should NEVER write a line like that EVER again.  Cannot be unseen.

20 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

A confession:

Every time I read Davos last ADWD chapter, and we're told Manderly knows Rickon is alive but he's in Skagos, I want to scream!!! I always think that Manderly should have just had Rickon and Osha with him already............ it just seems like an uneccessary detour :blush:

Its all part of the build up to Davos’ travel guide to the dungeons of the Seven Kingdoms. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, Lady Anna said:

A confession:

I literally cannot wait to read Davos' unnecessary detour.  I think Davos, with or without Rickon, will get swept up in the Hardhome expedition and return to the Wall around the same time as the Ides of Marsh.  Remember, Davos chapters ended about halfway through ADWD, along with Bran's.  I think GRRM removed them from the end of the book because there were certain things he wanted to keep hidden from us till the next book.

11 hours ago, thehandwipes said:

I literally cannot wait to read Davos' unnecessary detour.  I think Davos, with or without Rickon, will get swept up in the Hardhome expedition and return to the Wall around the same time as the Ides of Marsh.  Remember, Davos chapters ended about halfway through ADWD, along with Bran's.  I think GRRM removed them from the end of the book because there were certain things he wanted to keep hidden from us till the next book.

Given Davos’ track record, he will surely begin his adventures in Skagos  from the inside of a jail cell

OK, since confession is good for the soul . . . I really, REALLY dislike reading Davos' chapters.

I completely understand why people like Davos as a character and it's not that I'm disinterested in the events surrounding him. In fact, I WANT to be able to enjoy his part of the story. However, for some reason his POVs just really grate on me. Every time I encounter a Davos chapter in one of the books it seems to jolt me right out of the story.

He's the only character I feel this way about, but for me the best outcome would be for him to die off page early in Winds so that I never have to be subjected to one of his POVs again.

Sorry Davos and Davos fans :(

15 hours ago, thehandwipes said:

Me too! But since it's been years since Dance, in hindsight, I wish we already knew more about that whole situation :D

I am not a big fan of Vic. The old way is admittedly not any worse than what Tywin's men unleashed on the Riverlands or anything Ramsay has done in the series, but the sacrifice of the captured bed slaves to both R'hllor and the drowned God at the same time seemed to take it another scale. Yes, I know - Aztecs, Wickermen sacrifices, burning of alleged witches - no matter what atrocity you can think of, it's probably been done by someone in history already, but there was something about his casually ordering it and seeing it through his POV .... and he's not even the big bad, that's Euron .... maybe if we had got Vic and Damphair POVs earlier in the series, we would have got 'used to' their depravity better by now. errr .... actually, now that I'm reading what I've actually written, scratch that :D

7 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

Me too! But since it's been years since Dance, in hindsight, I wish we already knew more about that whole situation :D

I Ten Thousand percent agree.  Bran's chapters cut off, Davos cuts off, and the Battle of Ice is clearly going to be a big deal.  He should just publish that as a novella, he can still include it on TWOW.  Who's going to complain, nobody!

Then a couple of chapters of Jaime Brienne and Stoneheart!

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Given Davos’ track record, he will surely begin his adventures in Skagos  from the inside of a jail cell

Yeah, my hope is that he's already found Rickon, or rather Rickon has found him and Davos has to talk his way free.  Then leaving Skagos with Rickon or proof that he's alive, he gets swept up in the Hardhome expedition.

A Song Of Ice and Fire is not as nihilistic that some fans make it out to be, in fact, I would say it is pretty idealistic. Being kind and doing the right thing does get rewarded in the long run in Westeros. Example: the way the legacy of Ned and Tywin are treated.

8 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

My son is about to watch The Rains of Castamere. He has no idea! I asked him if Edmure had married the Frey girl yet, and he said, not yet, but that doesn't matter much. :blink:

He said the scene where Robb apologizes to Walder was boring. He like the Slavers Bay sub plot better...

21 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He said the scene where Robb apologizes to Walder was boring. He like the Slavers Bay sub plot better...

Back to the Twins, he's moaning and groaning because weddings are so boring, nothing ever happens. :lmao:

Archived