A little psychology: Myers-Briggs personality types for ASOIAF characters

Knight Of Winter

In my opinion, all the Stark children except Sansa favour sensing over intuition. I wonder if it is merely a coincidence that she is the one who lost her wolf. The wolves seem to somehow anchor the others to the real world.

On 3/26/2017 at 2:50 PM, Knight Of Winter said:

Bottomless can of worms, I assure you. MBTI is relatively popular on the internet, so you'll find tons of various stuff, from serious articles, typings for character of various famous TV shows, movies, books etc to completely random funny "what would Type X do" jokes. Like this one.

For the rest: I found it awesome to see someone so engaged in mbti, immediately debating logic behind it and conpemptaing various options :) . As for the e/i, at this point I can only recommend studying cognitive functions (every MBTI book worth something should have good amount of information), which basically explain how extroversion means taking whatever stimuli from the outer world: ideas, people, world itself etc. So when you say " Now I'm wondering if E in general are more likely to be hedonistic in terms of food, wine, riches, sex etc than the introverts.. " , you're basically describing extrovert sensing (Se) cognitive function, which is all about living in the moment, taking opportunities as they come, enjoying stimuli - be it sports, food, sex etc. You can clearly see extroverts with dominant Se: these are people like Robert, Daario, Asha, Arianne etc. Other types of extroverts take other types of stimuli: for example people like Sansa, Cersei or Margaery are clearly people-orientated (extroverted feeling function - Fe): very apt at sensing other people's emotions, connecting with them, comforting them (or the other side of the coin - manipulating them), having the aura of natural charm around people etc.

1) yeah, I took test several times as well and noticed 5-10% different results for each letter each time. It wasn't enough to flip me into different type, but this unreliability motivated me to study cognitive functions, which do provide more secure definitions of each type

2) There are reasons why some cognitive functions don't go with each other. Now, I'll be first one to admit that this system is not perfect, that I've seen characters (real and fictional) which e.g. seem to be using both Si and Ni (although it shouldn't be the case, as Si is always paired with Ne, and Ni with Se) - but these are anomalies which do not take much from the overall system.

3) Why should there be? MBTI is about cognitive preferences, not about personality or behaviour. In your professional life you can alter your behavior, even assume completely different persona - but your mind will work in the same way.

LOL you got me hooked to this for sure!!!  I have to admit I probably spot Se because I certainly have some of the characteristics although certainly not to Robert's level lol or Oberyns, but then again I am not a medieval queen or a princess of Dorne *winks."  Other types that are further from myself might be harder for me to spot but looking at people in real life and even fictional characters is certainly helping me understand some of this, although I haven't gotten yet to delving into the complexity of the characteristics that are not supposed to exist together in one given individual aside from exceptions.

• 3 months later...

Sansa seems to prefer Extroverted Sensing and Introverted Feeling. She's either an ESFP or an ISFP, but it's hard to tell which given that she's so isolated throughout most of her narrative. I tend to think she's an extrovert since she never seems to actively seek alone time, whereas introverts like Jon do. 

I'm fascinated by Myers-Briggs, although I admit that it is an imprecise science. For instance, I'm an ISFJ, but I have almost no distinction between sensing and intuition, so I do have some traits that make me very similar to an INFJ.

One great site, 16 Personalities (link below), listed the types of several fictional characters, including some ASOIAF characters. There results were:

INTJ: Petyr, Tywin

INTP: Aemon, Varys

ENTP: Tyrion

INFJ: Jon Snow

ENFJ: Daenerys

ISTJ: Eddard

ISFJ: Catelyn

ESTJ: Robb

ESFJ: Sansa, Cersei

ISTP: Arya

ESTP: Jaime

ESFP: Ygritte

I don't necessarily agree with all of these (the profile they provide for ESFJ doesn't really fit with how I interpret Cersei, for instance) but I thought I'd share it here for anyone interested.

https://www.16personalities.com/

On 7/25/2017 at 9:00 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I'm fascinated by Myers-Briggs, although I admit that it is an imprecise science. For instance, I'm an ISFJ, but I have almost no distinction between sensing and intuition, so I do have some traits that make me very similar to an INFJ.

One great site, 16 Personalities (link below), listed the types of several fictional characters, including some ASOIAF characters. There results were:

INTJ: Petyr, Tywin

INTP: Aemon, Varys

ENTP: Tyrion

INFJ: Jon Snow

ENFJ: Daenerys

ISTJ: Eddard

ISFJ: Catelyn

ESTJ: Robb

ESFJ: Sansa, Cersei

ISTP: Arya

ESTP: Jaime

ESFP: Ygritte

I don't necessarily agree with all of these (the profile they provide for ESFJ doesn't really fit with how I interpret Cersei, for instance) but I thought I'd share it here for anyone interested.

https://www.16personalities.com/

I think 16personalities sort of fails at Myers-Briggs because it doesn't find value in cognitive functions, which means it's about as good at typing as an astrologer is at predicting the future. It's fun, but it tends to be off the mark, especially when it comes to the differences between intuitives and sensors. Jon, for instance, can't be an intuitive. He's too grounded in the real world, he doesn't have a whole lot of patience for abstractions, he never stews over theory, he's always looking for practical solutions to concrete, immediate problems, despite being educated he has no academic interests, he's athletic, he's attuned to the physical world, and is highly observant. He's also too highly adaptive to be a judging type, and he leads with introverted feeling, not introverted intuition or introverted sensing, which means he's probably an ISFP.

Arya is most definitely an extrovert. Here's a great post explaining why:

Is Arya introverted or extroverted?

Extroverted. She’s 100% extroverted. I think anyone who believes otherwise mistakes being reserved in trusting people with her life and being separated from everyone she loves and cares for as introversion.

The difference between introverts and extroverts is that introverts feel drained by social interactions and energized by being alone while extroverts have the opposite feelings. 

Arya has always sought out people to be with and hates being alone. She always does this.

“You’re not supposed to leave the column,” Sansa reminded her. “Father said so.”

Arya shrugged. “I didn’t go far. Anyway, Nymeria was with me the whole time. I don’t always go off, either. Sometimes it’s fun just to ride along with the wagons and talk to people.”

Sansa knew all about the sorts of people Arya liked to talk to: squires and grooms and serving girls, old men and naked children, rough-spoken freeriders of uncertain birth. Arya would make friends with anybody.   Sansa, AGoT

At Winterfell, he always had an extra seat set at his own table, and every day a different man would be asked to join him. One night it would be Vayon Poole, and the talk would be coppers and bread stores and servants. The next time it would be Mikken, and her father would listen to him go on about armor and swords and how hot a forge should be and the best way to temper steel. Another day it might be Hullen with his endless horse talk, or Septon Chayle from the library, or Jory, or Ser Rodrik, or even Old Nan with her stories.

Arya had loved nothing better than to sit at her father’s table and listen to them talk. She had loved listening to the men on the benches too; to freeriders tough as leather, courtly knights and bold young squires, grizzled old men-at-arms. She used to throw snowballs at them and help them steal pies from the kitchen. Their wives gave her scones and she invented names for their babies and played monsters-and-maidens and hide-the-treasure and come-into-my-castle with their children.  Arya, AGoT

Right from the first book, we are introduced to an Arya who thrives off social interaction. “Sometimes it’s fun just to ride along with the wagons and talk to people.” Arya enjoys being with people, she really likes people actually. She’s obsessed with this idea of “pack” because she always wants to have people around her. And they’re not always people she’s known for that long (Syrio, Yoren) nor are they necessarily people who treat her well (Lommy, Jaqen.) But Arya likes being with people. 

She likes to name and play with her father’s men’s children, likes to listen to people (knights or smallfolk alike) tell stories, she’s interested in that kind of stuff.

And it doesn’t stop in recent books. The reason why she enjoys being Cat so much is it’s the first identity that’s really allowed her to meet people and make friends.

Most days, she spent more time with the dead than with the living. She missed the friends she’d had when she was Cat of the Canals; Old Brusco with his bad back, his daughters Talea and Brea, the mummers from the Ship, Merry and her whores at the Happy Port, all the other rogues and wharfside scum. She missed Cat herself the most of all, even more than she missed her eyes. She had liked being Cat, more than she had ever liked being Salty or Squab or Weasel or Arry.  Arya, ADWD

One of Arya’s issues is that she feels abandoned by everyone she ever cared about- some left her, some became separated from her, and some just died, but she feels abandoned by all of them and all alone.

Jaqen was gone, though. He’d left her. Hot Pie left me too, and now Gendry is leaving. Lommy had died, Yoren had died, Syrio Forel had died, even her father had died, and Jaqen had given her a stupid iron penny and vanished. Arya, ASoS

Even when she’s in the HoBaW, she can’t get over these feelings of abandonment and betrayal:

There is no place here for Arya of House Stark, she was thinking. Arya’s place was Winterfell, only Winterfell was gone. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. She had no pack, though. They had killed her pack, Ser Ilyn and Ser Meryn and the queen, and when she tried to make a new one all of them ran off, Hot Pie and Gendry and Yoren and Lommy Greenhands, even Harwin, who had been her father’s man. She shoved through the doors, out into the night. Arya, AFFC

And one of the reasons why it bothers her so much is that Arya values friends very highly. She’s staunchly protective when it comes to them, thinks of them as equals and valuable, and is hurt when they don’t (in her mind) respond in turn.

Loneliness and abandonment are two of the biggest themes in Arya’s narrative because she’s an extrovert. She needs friends, companions, and social contact to feel energized. Having friends as Cat provides her with some of the first bit of comfort she’s had in a while. She goes out of her way to interact with the women of the Happy Port, random sailors, mummers, braavos, everyone. 

Arya likes people. She really likes them. She attempts to make people who are upset feel better (Elmar Frey, Ned Dayne, Lady Smallwood,) she defends people (Gendry, Mycah, Weasel, Samwell Tarly, Jon,) she shares with them (Sam, Gendry,) she strikes up conversations with everyone (Yoren, the sailors in Braavos,) she risks her life for them (Jaqen, Gendry, Hot Pie,) ect.

Arya thrives on interactions with people. She’s an extrovert.

On 7/30/2017 at 7:56 PM, Alaynsa Starne said:

I think 16personalities sort of fails at Myers-Briggs because it doesn't find value in cognitive functions, which means it's about as good at typing as an astrologer is at predicting the future. It's fun, but it tends to be off the mark, especially when it comes to the differences between intuitives and sensors. Jon, for instance, can't be an intuitive. He's too grounded in the real world, he doesn't have a whole lot of patience for abstractions, he never stews over theory, he's always looking for practical solutions to concrete, immediate problems, despite being educated he has no academic interests, he's athletic, he's attuned to the physical world, and is highly observant. He's also too highly adaptive to be a judging type, and he leads with introverted feeling, not introverted intuition or introverted sensing, which means he's probably an ISFP.

Yeah, I can definitely see how the website dropped the ball in some areas, especially with Cersei, who doesn't even match the personality description they gave her. I think they're also going more off of the show characterization rather than the book characterization.

On 7/30/2017 at 8:14 PM, Winter's Cold said:

Arya thrives on interactions with people. She’s an extrovert.

I agree. I think people misinterpret her solitude as introversion, when in truth she craves human interaction. 

On 26/03/2017 at 4:33 AM, Bhotharh said:

.The MBTI model has no dimension for mental stability. The concept is generally not intended for people with poor mental health. Which in my book makes it especially unsuitable for quite a lot of the good folks of Planetos.

Exactly. This is why I can't really trust any attempt to cast types on Cersei, Lysa or Joffrey, for example. MBTI also doesn't take into account an individual's experiences, cultural background or the kind of environment they live in.

I'm somewhat curious about MBTI but I have more criticism towards it. I have personally received consistent results from all tests I've taken and my profile description fits me, but other than that I don't pay much attention to this stuff.

Just a reminder to anyone wondering whether a character is Extraverted or Introverted: remember that introverted people can be very good at hiding their introversion (at least in brief interactions with other people, if not for an extended period of time or on a regular basis), and can actually come off as very charming, eloquent and lively in the right environment. Extraversion / introversion does not have anything to do with social skills and how an individual enjoys the company of other people.

By the way, I find it kind of funny that people here (and in many other places) type Jon and Dany as INFPs. Speaking as an INFP, it feels really hard for me to relate to this. True, they both have a very strong set of values that drives them, and true, they are rather altruistic and want to make this world a better place. But I feel like they would both have a stronger J function, something that actually drives them to "get shit done" instead of leaving them in a continuous state of dreaming and prospecting that is so typical of many INFPs. The INFJ profile also seems like the more natural leader type, while INFPs would likely be more reluctant to take up such role (in that sense, Jon would be more of an INFP than Dany).

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/3/2017 at 8:39 PM, Knight Of Winter said:

Characters

Starks

Ned – classic ISTJ.

Catelyn – ISFJ

Robb – ESTJ

Sansa – ESFJ.

Arya – ISFP. I've often seen her mistyped as ISTP, which she can't be

Bran, Rickon – haven't got much idea here. Any ideas?

Luwin - INTP

Lannisters

Tywin – INTJ.

Jaime – ESFP

Cersei – ESFJ, a very bad one. Unhealthy Fe (emotional manipulation) all over the place.

Tyrion – classical ENTP

Kevan – ISTJ

Martells

Doran – INTJ. I've had difficulties with this one, but in the end I thought INTJ suits Doran best

Arianne – ESFP

Oberyn – I'm torn between ENFP and ESFP, though I'm leaning more towards ENFP.

Quentyn – I'm at loss here. I'd guess ISFJ

Areo Hotah – ISTJ

Greyjoys

Theon – ESTP

Asha – ESTP

Aeron – taking into account his previous (pre-drowning) and current personality, I'll guess an Fe-dom. Probably ENFJ.

Victarion – not sure about him. When I see someone as quiet, dutiful and non-overly emotional like Victarion, my first guess would be ISTJ, though I'm uncertain in his case

Euron – ENTJ, and a crazy one

Other great houses

Olenna – ESTJ

Loras – I guess ISFP

Margaery – maybe ENFJ

Lysa – INFP. In order – unhealthy Fi (it's all about meeee), unhealthy Ne (paranoid) and unhealthy Si (clinging to the past)

Night's Watch

Jon Snow – hmmm...my best guess would be ISFP

Samwell – INFP

Jeor – ESTJ.

Alliser – ISTJ.

Wildlings

Mance – ENFJ

Ygritte – ESTP

Tormund – ESFP

Court in KL

King Robert – ESFP

Varys – Ni-dom, ergo InxJ. I guess the third letter depends on how to cynically (Te) or idealistically (Fe) one views him. I'll go with latter and say INFJ.

Littlefinger – ENTP is what I think, though I've seen lots of poeple arguing for INTJ.

Pycelle – some kind of Ti-Fe-Ne-Si combination. My best guess is INTP

Barristan – ISTJ

Renly – ENFP?

Qyburn – INTP

Stannis's court

Stannis – ISTJ

Davos – ISFP

Mel - ?

Dany's court

Dany – INFP. This one was hard, but in the end I think Fi-Ne combination suits her best

Jorah – ISTJ

Daario – ESTP

Hizdarhrhr – ESFJ ?

Shavepate – ENTJ

Other non-great-houses nobles

Brienne – ISFP

Roose – INTJ

Greatjon – ESTJ

Manderly – ENFJ

Rodrik the Reader – INTP

Historical

Aerys – ESFP

Rhaegar – INFJ. Great example of unhealthy Ni

Lyanna – ENFP

Brandon – ESxP

Anyhow, I find MBTI types quite interesting to type and discuss. Any comments and discussions are more than welcome

BRAN STARK :  INFP

RICKON  STARK: ESTJ ( he's very young ,still ,he has something in common  with his ancestors, the Kings of Winter)

BRANDON STARK ( NED'S BROTHER ) : ESTP

MELISANDRE : ENFJ

I'd like to add a few more characters 

JOFFREY  BARATHEON :  ESFP

TOMMEN  BARATHEON : ISFP

BRONN :  ISTP

BENJEN STARK : ESTJ

PYP : ESFP

GRENN : ISTJ

DONAL NOYE : ISTJ

• 5 weeks later...

These personality types are pretty good. I would just argue that some of them change over the course of their character arcs. I struggle to see the current Theon as an ESTP for instance. Also some characters such as Doran or Littlefinger are basically impossible to classify as they're more mysterious and we haven't gotten to see many aspects of their personalities yet.

Archived