Anyone else not interested in Jon's chapters?

Do you mean in the series as a whole, or just CoK specifically? Did you enjoy Jon's chapters in GoT?

I personally enjoyed Jon's chapters. I found that I came to enjoy them more later in the series, but they were adequate at the outset. Bran's chapters, however, were the least interesting IMO. From the outset, I just had to will myself not to skip them, and on my first read through, I often did :P 

• 1 month later...

Yeah in ACOK and most of ASOS, Jon's chapters are really boring, well written but boring. It will be better in ADWD though I will tell you that. And yes Jon's chapters are extremely boring in ACOK and ASOS their are a lot of other chapters that are really interesting in these books like, Sansa, Arya, Tyrion, Dany IV (other than that zzzzzzzzzz for Dany chapters), and Jaime/ Briene chapters are all really interesting.

• 2 months later...

I LOVE Jon chapters that take place with the Wildlings!  I can't believe that so many people aren't enjoying his chapters as well!  I love ACoK, as a whole... lots of awesome material to theorize about, like how the package with the dragonglass items in it(Benjen?), and also, the little old woman, who called Arya out as creepy (Jenny of Olstones?)...plus much more than I can say right now... I just especially like Jon and Arya POVs

• 8 months later...
On 3/23/2017 at 6:15 PM, YoungGriffIsAegonBlackfyre said:

It's not that they're written badly, they aren't. They just aren't as good as the others. 

I like Jon and I don't have an issue with his chapters but I do fear he may warg for the entirety of the next book, and warging, although I understand the necessity of the concept being ascertained bores me to death and above!!!  All the descriptions as several of them as wolves lol...kind of skip them!

Just now, Morgana Lannister said:

I like Jon and I don't have an issue with his chapters but I do fear he may worg for the entirety of the next book, and warging, although I understand the necessity of the concept being ascertained bores me to death and above!!!  All the descriptions as several of them as wolves lol...kind of skip them!

I like them. It's interesting to be because while most of the other pov characters are caught up with fighting to be king/queen meanwhile Jon's story is focused on things like wights and wildlings so it's a bit of a refreshing change I guess. Won't spoil anything but his chapters are a lot better in A Storm of Swords so don't give up on him just yet.

• 4 months later...

I feel like many of the chapters in first half of CoK is kind of Grind-Tastic (although I still really like the entry).

A series of long journeys early on with the great ranging and Yoren's march.  You have Tyrion setting up pieces for a long while, as well as the detail behind Shae and Tyrion's "relationship".  A couple huge information-dump chapters on the Iron Islands.  

All the setting up the pins, as well as the back-stories sets everything up marvelously.  Not a word is wasted

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/23/2017 at 2:15 PM, YoungGriffIsAegonBlackfyre said:

It's not that they're written badly, they aren't. They just aren't as good as the others. 

I thought I was the only one. I used to groan at Bran’s post-waking-up-from-the-fall chapters in AGOT because of how little Bran actually did and how he was really only there to see what was going on at Winterfell. Then in Clash he starts to get more interesting when the Reeds arrive and Jon takes his place for me. I dread seeing a Jon chapter now, for the same reasons I dreaded reading a Bran chapter.

Jon’s chapters are somewhat boring in this particular book so I agree with the OP.  They get a lot more interesting as the books develop. 

My favourite POV is Tyrion’s.  He is one of the only characters who (for me) is consistently the most interesting POV throughout the story.. his ability to identify humour in troublesome situation sets him apart from the other characters.. and the fact that he trusts no one (especially not members of his own family such as Cersei or Tywin).. in fact he’s likelier to trust people who are not his family.  He’s awesome.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:02 PM, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Jon is my favourite character overall, so I personally like all his chapters, but I do think that his ACoK chapters are the least interesting out of his chapters. 

Really?

I thought his chapters in A Game of Thrones were the most boring and the least interesting out of all the Jon chapters. Outside of the first two and the last two chapters, Jon doesn't do much at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love these topics.  It cracks me up because I just did a Jon only POV read for ACOK because I enjoy them so much.  But, being from Alaska and spending a lot of time outdoors in areas of the cold North, I identify with them on such a different level.

For me I can't stand Bran chapters.

Archived