True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

I actually think True detective would be better served as a showcase for directors and writers who have 6-10 detective stories to tell. This could be a step in the right direction.

More chance of a Deadwood the next generation at this stage. I, obviously still love the show but have been in a "not happening unless it happens" stance for a few years now.

7 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

That's good news. I never even bothered with season 2 after poor reviews.  But the real killer for me was the end of season 1, which kind of spoiled my view of it as a whole 

Completely the same opinion here. Didn't bother with S2 and felt the ending of S1 failed to match the quality of the rest of it.

Will be interested with David Milch onboard for S3.

1 minute ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Completely the same opinion here. Didn't bother with S2 and felt the ending of S1 failed to match the quality of the rest of it.

Will be interested with David Milch onboard for S3.

Yeah, the ending wasn't bad in season one, in any other show I might have loved it. But it exposed the show as not being as clever and ingenious as we all thought it was. 

This'll only work if Milch has some sort of veto authority in the creative process though. If he's just there to offer advice, and Nic Pizzolatto still has creative control, I don't think the show will improve much from season two.

• 3 months later...

I just saw that Mahershala Ali was in "final" talks to join season 3. He was tremendous in Luke Cage, Moonlight and even in a minor role in The Place Beyond the Pines. A good start to get many fans back I'd say.

7 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I just saw that Mahershala Ali was in "final" talks to join season 3. He was tremendous in Luke Cage, Moonlight and even in a minor role in The Place Beyond the Pines. A good start to get many fans back I'd say.

I just watched Free State of Jones last night, not a great movie, but he was good in it. I haven't seen Moonlight or Luke Cage, mostly just know him from House of Cards. It would be a good start for the cast.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I just watched Free State of Jones last night, not a great movie, but he was good in it. I haven't seen Moonlight or Luke Cage, mostly just know him from House of Cards. It would be a good start for the cast.

First thing I saw him in was playing Richard in The 4400, he really stood out from the rest of the cast.

On 3/28/2017 at 7:21 AM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Completely the same opinion here. Didn't bother with S2 and felt the ending of S1 failed to match the quality of the rest of it...

Well...that's just like, your opinion, man.

I thought the S1 finale was fantastic. That last scene is one of the best final scenes in any film or movie. 

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Well...that's just like, your opinion, man.

I thought the S1 finale was fantastic. That last scene is one of the best final scenes in any film or movie. 

Indeed.

I found it a bit silly for such a serious show. The series aimed high for the vast majority and then sunk to standard for the finale. In my opinion.

On 02/07/2017 at 10:01 PM, Nictarion said:

Free State of Jones might explain the casting (McCog is still a producer and the casting agents may cross). Ali has been good in everything I've seen so far and in the case of Moonlight and Luke Cage he was the highlight (and underused in both).

The cast has never been an issue with the show, it's the storytelling. But the addition of Milch should hopefully get things back on track.

57 minutes ago, red snow said:

Free State of Jones might explain the casting (McCog is still a producer and the casting agents may cross). Ali has been good in everything I've seen so far and in the case of Moonlight and Luke Cage he was the highlight (and underused in both).

The cast has never been an issue with the show, it's the storytelling. But the addition of Milch should hopefully get things back on track.

I didn't think the cast for S2 was particularly good tbh. Outside of Colin Farrell that is.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I didn't think the cast for S2 was particularly good tbh. Outside of Colin Farrell that is.

I thought Vince Vaughn gave a herculean effort in trying to make his character less ridiculous than he was. I can see why you thought they maybe underperformed but I think it was more they did the best they could with what they had.

Although along the same lines as you saying the actors in season 2 were poor I often wonder about season 1, was it really that good or was it just that the two leads gave absolutely outstanding performances? Given season 1 was pretty much just about those two meant they permeated the entire show. I do think the way the story was framed helped season 1 a lot so I do think the story played a part.

I read that bringing in someone, not sure if it was specifically Milch, to help Pizzolatto was a factor on weather season 3 happened or not. Season 2 was dreadful, but I think Pizzolatto and HBO both share the blame on that. Season 1 took quite a bit longer to write than the time period season 2 was given, but Pizzolatto was the reason Fukunaga was pushed out. If Ali and Milch are both on board I think this could be turned around to season 1 quality.

• 4 weeks later...

‘True Detective’ Close To Season 3 Greenlight; Mahershala Ali Confirmed To Star

At HBO’s summer TCA presentation, president of programming Casey Bloys gave an update on the status of True Detective, which had been awaiting a Season 3 greenlight.

Bloys confirmed that Oscar-winning Moonlight actor Mahershala Ali has closed a deal to star in the potential third season of the anthology series. Bloys said he had read five finished scripts. “They are terrific. … I was very impressed and excited,” he said. “We are talking to directors, and when we have a director we want to hire, it will be a go.”

The Season 3 director will be new, with no lead helmers from previous seasons expected to return.

Bloys noted that a third season of True Detective is much further along than a potential second installment of The Night Of

• 1 month later...

Little bit of info on S3. Apparently it's set in the Ozarks, and is going to take place across 3 different time periods. Mahershala Ali will be an Arkansas state police detective. Nic Pizzolatto wrote the entire season himself except one episode that was co-written with David Milch. No date set for the start of production yet.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/true-detective-season-3-hbo-mahershala-ali-1202544718/

Archived