True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Disappointing that Milch only worked on one episode. But I'm gonna be optimistic and hope it's cause he was busy writing the Deadwood script. 

Sadly, I think that ship has sailed and we'll never see more of Deadwood.

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Little bit of info on S3. Apparently it's set in the Ozarks, and is going to take place across 3 different time periods. Mahershala Ali will be an Arkansas state police detective. Nic Pizzolatto wrote the entire season himself except one episode that was co-written with David Milch. No date set for the start of production yet.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/true-detective-season-3-hbo-mahershala-ali-1202544718/

The description of 3 different time periods has me a little worried. I feel Pizzolatto needlessly complicates his scripts. Had he eliminated one or two characters from s2, thereby tightening up the plot and pace, it would have been better.

I know this is such a minority opinion that it may be held only by myself, but I really liked season 2.  The reviews for it were unanimously negative, but it worked very well for me.  But then I watched it bang bang bang on dvd, instead of having to drag from one week to another.  I got the sense that way of viewing made it t easier to see the season as a whole and see how all the moving parts worked together, and worked successfully.  At least it worked successfully for me. 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

I know this is such a minority opinion that it may be held only by myself, but I really liked season 2.  The reviews for it were unanimously negative, but it worked very well for me.  But then I watched it bang bang bang on dvd, instead of having to drag from one week to another.  I got the sense that way of viewing made it t easier to see the season as a whole and see how all the moving parts worked together, and worked successfully.  At least it worked successfully for me. 

I thought it was entertaining, but there were a couple laughably bad lines. Mostly from Vaughn's character as I recall. 

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Sadly, I think that ship has sailed and we'll never see more of Deadwood.

I dunno, it could still happen. Only last month one of the HBO execs basically said it was a matter of getting the cast back without the budget getting too crazy. Given what they spend on GoT it's hard to see that being an issue. 

I think that many of you are your own worst enemy when it comes to this show. It just wasn't as clever as you thought it was after all (S1), so S2 felt like an anticlimax for you. And now you're getting your hopes up (again) for S3 to be 'as good as S1'. 

I doubt it'll hit the heights of S1. So don't expect it to. 

And I thought that both VV and CF put in great performances in S2. I just didn't find the story as compelling as S1. 

• 2 months later...

‘True Detective’ Season 3 Casts Carmen Ejogo

Ejogo will star opposite the previously announced Mahershala Ali in the new installment of the HBO anthology drama. She will play Amelia Reardon, an Arkansas schoolteacher with a connection to two missing children in 1980. Ali is set to play Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas. The new season tells the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.

So S3 is going back to kind of the core of S1, freaky serial killer shit with haunting and macabre tones? The thing about S2 is it was a more mundane sort of plot about organised crime and corruption, and it didn't have a particularly unique or interesting angle on this well worn theme.

• 1 month later...

Stephen Dorff To Star In Season 3

according to Deadline, will “tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. [Mahershala] Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from northwest Arkansas.

[Stephen] Dorff will play Wayne’s partner Roland West, an Arkansas State Investigator who, along with his partner, has his life and career influenced over three decades by a baffling crime.

As with the breakout original instalment of True Detective, Pizzolatto is the sole writer of the third season with the exception of Episode 4, which he co-wrote with David Milch.”

On 11/28/2017 at 5:01 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

So S3 is going back to kind of the core of S1, freaky serial killer shit with haunting and macabre tones? The thing about S2 is it was a more mundane sort of plot about organised crime and corruption, and it didn't have a particularly unique or interesting angle on this well worn theme.

This.  The plot was BOOOOOORRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG.  It's incredibly difficult to have characters shine when the plot isn't driving anything.  I love a good character driven show, but when those characters are driven to something that has been done thousands of times before you end up with something that should be more interesting than it is; which makes it feel lackluster and something that fell quite a bit short of where it was aiming.

Admittedly, I couldn't finish S2.

I am firmly in the main group here, S2 was dreadful to watch, fealt a lot like Taboo to me. Expectations be damned it was just not good and VV character was horrible. I will with out a doubt watch S3 for a few episodes anyway hoping for another good season.

Archived