True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Looks pretty good. Hopefully they learned from the mess that was S2 that just having name actors won't get you by.

It does feel from the trailer like they are doing a story more reminiscent of season 1 than whatever season 2 was.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2018 at 5:33 PM, unJon said:

Trailer looks really good. I’m starting to feel excited for this but know it’s likely I’m in for disappointment. 

I think I'm more likely to be pleasantly surprised as I'm going in exoecting season 2 and not season 1.

I would make a small wager that S3 will be terrific... I know that S2 was disappointing... but HBO is about as good a content creator/provider as there is.... I think they were probably waiting for the right script for S3.... and I doubt they want to throw away the franchise after S1 was so god,,, 

....and Mahershala Ali

• 3 weeks later...

Reviews are starting to come out (critics were sent the first five episodes) and overall they are extremely positive of season 3; of the central mystery, of the tightness of the writing, and of Mahershala Ali's acting.

Here's three (warning; there are some light spoilers):

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/1/2/18159472/true-detective-season-3-review-mahershala-ali

https://variety.com/2019/tv/reviews/true-detective-season-3-review-mahershala-ali-1203096139/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/true-detective-review-season-3-1171882

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

only a couple more days now. Really looking forward to having something good to watch week to week again. Early reviews sound very positive. 

What would everyone prefer as far as spoilers? I can change the thread title if people don’t want to deal with using tags. 

They definitely threw in “watch the leather” for McConaughey, right? :lol:

Stront start overall. Ali was great, and the tone and atmosphere feels much more like S1 without being too similar. 

The first episode kind of reminded me of the West Memphis 3 case. Missing kids on bikes, 3 teenage suspects that were outcasts and into metal, satanic stuff, etc.  

First two episodes were solid in my opinion. Ali really is doing an incredible job channeling his inner Rust Cole, with the thousand yard stare and all. Can’t wait to see how this all turns out with the case, and the time jumping, holy shit is it impressive. I’d say Pizzolatto and team have built themselves a firm foundation for this season. 

Coming here without reading anything to complain that I didn’t realize two episodes aired last night! I watched the first the. Assumed HBO was replaying it. Ugh. Now have to avoid spoilers until I get home from work tonight. 

Relatively solid start. Miles above the start of Season 2, but I'm not quite as hooked as I was with Season 1. 

I'm not sure about having three timelines, I think two may have been better; though then the comparisons with Season 1 may have gotten too strong. The 1980 timeline has been far and away the most compelling for me and having it be broken up by two other timelines has been a bit too disruptive. Obviously I don't know how this'll all turnout, but so I think I'd have preferred if it was just 1980 and 2015 and at around midseason there's a jump forward so that it's 1990 and 2015. 

I've been on the lookout for references and connections to Season 1, and not just thematically. I've caught a few direct ones, I think, like the mention of spiral scandal, and I suspect I've missed a bunch of others. I'm curious if that's just easter eggs or if this is very directly going to tie together.

Archived