True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

7 hours ago, unJon said:

I thought someone’s kids (assume Woodard’s) we’re seeking to have the conviction overturned, but that it had not yet been overturned in the 90s timeline. 

I had assumed once roland takes over that it had been overturned. How can they reopen the case if it hadn't?

The case was reopened because they found Julie's fingerprints. The children of the individual convicted for her murder are seeking to have that conviction overturned in light of the new evidence.

Damn, Woodard was ready for a standoff. Looks like it was guns in the duffel bag. I never would've guessed he booby trapped his house, though.

There is some sort of cover-up. My thoughts are the then DA made his career with the Purcell case and all of that was in jeopardy in 1990 with the revelation Julie was still alive. The now Attorney-General probably sabotaged the new investigation to save his career. I'm wondering if Roland is in on that and throws Hays under the bus. Maybe Roland already knows what happened to Dan O'Brien because he killed him and disposed of his remains and is helping Tom Purcell recover due to a guilty conscience, knowing the truth about what happened to the kids. Maybe it's Roland also feeding info about the investigations to Eliza out of guilt for what happened to Roland and betraying him.

Just speculating as to possibilities.

Maybe it was Freddy Burns that killed Will when he shoved him. Killer or witness?

Spoiler

That priest is a bit creepy.

I think it's pretty clear that Hays either killed Dan O'Brien or helped hide it. He wasn't surprised about his death and he did want to hide it from his son, and she made it clear that it wasn't on him right now. 

My thought is that for whatever reason, Hays thought Dan killed Will and took Eliza in 1990. And him and Roland took care of it, knowing that they didn't have evidence to prosecute. But - much like Woodard - there was always a nagging doubt that he was the one who killed Will. 

I'm curious as to the rise of Roland West and fall of Willie Hays. I'm assuming West played along with official investigation and cover-up and Ways didn't. Also fits with what Roland said in a previous episode about Hays's mouth always getting him in trouble.

This also presents a more interesting dynamic between Willie and his son Henry now that we know he is a cop on the same force his father was.

56 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I'm curious as to the rise of Roland West and fall of Willie Hays. I'm assuming West played along with official investigation and cover-up and Ways didn't. Also fits with what Roland said in a previous episode about Hays's mouth always getting him in trouble.

This also presents a more interesting dynamic between Willie and his son Henry now that we know he is a cop on the same force his father was.

I don’t think Purple Hays’ first name is Willie...

Then we’d have to add in his baseball career in Cleveland, and his brief stint as an actor into the timeline. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I don’t think Purple Hays’ first name is Willie...

Then we’d have to add in his baseball career in Cleveland, and his brief stint as an actor into the timeline. :lol:

Only if his middle name was Mays. ;) (Ah the fond, fond memories of Milwaukee County Stadium and its beautiful sheet metal exterior.)  My mistake. It's Wayne Hays.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

They have laid the reason on pretty thick from Hays' pov, he is a black man in the deep south 40 years ago, as if he was lucky to even be a detective let alone advance any further.

From everyone else's view it's that Hays knows it and doesn't hold back from reminding them they are racist, and that is where "his mouth" comes in to play.

I kind of figured it was guns in the bag, but absolutely didn't expect booby traps and claymores for sure.

Woodard’s bag of tricks was more robust than I imagined but overall this episode dragged a bit. The story is still there and still building, but pacing seems a bit off for watching weekly rather than bingeing a few episodes at a time. 

It’s an unusual choice to have the grieving mother be so unsympathetic while the father is the more layered character and was actually closer to his children.  I guess it’s a positive to change from the trope.

This was the first episode my wife watched with me.  She thought the love interests of Hays and West (the church member) were implausibly more attractive than the men.  Even implausible for TV.

The priest was so creepy. 

Hays’ son is interesting to me, and I think that actor is doing very well with very limited lines.  I hope his role expands. 

Hay's son is definitely getting more to fo than the actor was as cyborg in justice League. It's a little too on the nose that he is sleeping with the journalist (who i still think is the daughter if missing girl). Dorf's character has become a lot more interesting over the last 2 episodes.

The show seems to be demonstrating that people in the 80s looked more downtrodden and old than they did in the 90s.

Black man with one eye is a perfect disguise if you are a black man, it seems. Even better if you are white and spreading false rumours of such a suspect

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Hay's son is definitely getting more to fo than the actor was as cyborg in justice League. It's a little too on the nose that he is sleeping with the journalist (who i still think is the daughter if missing girl). Dorf's character has become a lot more interesting over the last 2 episodes.

The show seems to be demonstrating that people in the 80s looked more downtrodden and old than they did in the 90s.

Black man with one eye is a perfect disguise if you are a black man, it seems. Even better if you are white and spreading false rumours of such a suspect

It's still bothers me a little that Hays looks younger in 1990 than in 1980.

It was Nick Cage ;)

24 minutes ago, Astromech said:

It's still bothers me a little that Hays looks younger in 1990 than in 1980.

It was Nick Cage ;)

West seems to have an extreme makeover from 80s to 90s too. The wig/make-up department has done a good job there. Credit to Dorf as well as the 90s version has a lot more energy than the down 80s version.

I hadn't considered nick cage. Maybe the missing girl is actually carol danvers and this is an elaborate lead in to captain marvel

45 minutes ago, red snow said:

West seems to have an extreme makeover from 80s to 90s too. The wig/make-up department has done a good job there. Credit to Dorf as well as the 90s version has a lot more energy than the down 80s version.

I hadn't considered nick cage. Maybe the missing girl is actually carol danvers and this is an elaborate lead in to captain marvel

We've been watching one long MCU promotion. :)

5 hours ago, red snow said:

If she is the daughter, do you think her father is whoever kidnapped the missing girl?  And she knows who that is?

1980 was just before "Morning in America", when St. Ronald Reagan revitalized the entire country and made everyone look shiny and young again.  

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

If she is the daughter, do you think her father is whoever kidnapped the missing girl?  And she knows who that is?

1980 was just before "Morning in America", when St. Ronald Reagan revitalized the entire country and made everyone look shiny and young again.  

I think there's a decent chance that's the case. If so she could have a serious issue with Hays, his wife and West as from her POV she may have come from a loving family and does not appreciate them being hunted/name smeared. Obviously from an outsider's view the dad/kidnapper is sick but if he groomed the kidnapped girl and their kid then the kid would have a warped perspective.

Forgot to mention how the music can be very unsettling. In episode 3 where Hays can hear his imaginary wife talking i was genuinely freaked out almost expecting a horror moment/jump-scare.

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Well, perhaps it would be more of, she wants to know who her mother (and, presumably, father) really was, why she would go with whoever it was she did and perhaps explain her upbringing.  Presumably, in this case, she must not have known her parents.  Was she a product of rape?  Or some kind of sex slavery thing?  Did her mom love her?  What about her dad?  Why aren't they there now?

I'm not sure if I buy it, but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility.

I'm still waiting on the show to explain that cryptic insinuation that something happened between Julie and her father in the 90s.  I'm presuming it was just contact or some kind...

Good episode, but it was hard to make out parts of the conversation between Hays and West at the end.  Too much low mumbling.

So West was never married? What else is Hays misremembering? Does he even have a daughter? Is Amelia even dead?

The backpack was an obvious plant the moment it appeared on screen under Woodard's porch.

I now think both Hays and West offed O'Brien, not just West.

I thought it was possible Julie ran away or left with the mysterious friend to escape her unhappy home life. Sounds like her dad, Tom, may have been more the problem than her mom.

If Hays doesn't have a daughter we are in really dodgy territory as it means everything we are seeing in the past is from an unreliable narrator. Afterall his daughter was very clearly in the shopping mall. 

Archived