True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

So yeah Harris James was definitely the dude who planted the bag and I still think Hays and Roland will kill him and not Dan. Just not sure how the case doesn’t end up solved in the 90s after they off Harris but I guess we’ll find out. 

That last scene was pretty intense but fuck Tom is an idiot for going in by himself. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

So yeah Harris James was definitely the dude who planted the bag and I still think Hays and Roland will kill him and not Dan. Just not sure how the case doesn’t end up solved in the 90s after they off Harris but I guess we’ll find out. 

That last scene was pretty intense but fuck Tom is an idiot for going in by himself. 

I like how they are resolving some of the mysteries earlier as opposed to waiting to resolve everything in the finale. 

So I got the impression from West's reactions to Tom possibly being a homosexual, that West may have been as well. Could West have been blackmailed by those in power steering the cover up who possibly knew of his sexuality to go along with the official story and try to keep Hays in line? His words and actions seem to point towards him keeping Hays away from the truth.

Lucy seemed to have a guilty conscience all along. No surprise now that she seems to have been paid off. Is the plant boss the real father or just some pedophile grooming kids? That pink room was creepy as hell at the end.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

So I got the impression from West's reactions to Tom possibly being a homosexual, that West may have been as well. Could West have been blackmailed by those in power steering the cover up who possibly knew of his sexuality to go along with the official story and try to keep Hays in line? His words and actions seem to point towards him keeping Hays away from the truth.

Lucy seemed to have a guilty conscience all along. No surprise now that she seems to have been paid off. Is the plant boss the real father or just some pedophile grooming kids? That pink room was creepy as hell at the end.

I got that vibe from west too. It actually fits the character quite well eg him understanding intolerance quite well and the wedding that never happened.

Not sure why the biological dad would lock his daughter in a pink room unless he's super psycho/creepy.

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

So shall we conseider him dead or framed you think? Anyway seems he's not around in 2015 timeline.

He could also be in prison in 2015

Knew hay's son was with the reporter and still pretty much accepting she is the daughter of the kidnapped girl despite no evidence other than "tv twist". 

Loved hay's line about god should have spent full seven days creating the world. Ali did a great job delivering it.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

Loved hay's line about god should have spent full seven days creating the world. Ali did a great job delivering it.

Agree 100% with you.

Yeah, Hays clearly picked up on what was said about his body. I never got a vibe from West like that though. It could explain him never marrying though and why he was mad at Hays. Maybe West came out to him and Hays blew up on him.

I'm thinking dad is dead, no way he comes back from the super creepy vault safe pink room, which was so clearly a trap. Do we see him ground up and fed to the chickens later!?!?

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

I can't help but feel that this season has been way too slow of a burn.  It's not outwardly bad in the way that S2 was, but despite the strong lead performances the mystery and the episode-by-episode advancement of the story have not worked for me.  It would have to do a lot in the final two episodes for me to give it anything more than a meh recommendation to someone else.  

Funny. IMO, the plot has resolved more quickly than season 1. YMMV obviously. 

I kind of agree because we largely know that, well, nothing gets resolved because of the current timeline. And we aren't given enough reason to care. Wills death isn't some horrible thing like the first season was, so we dont have this weird ass occult angle. Julie getting kidnapped is interesting, but again we knew she wasnt dead way early and then have to stumble through a whole timeline of them fucking it up.

Td1 didn't have them fucking it up; it just had them not going into it enough. Td1 had them find 2 of the three major baddies as of ep 5 and end them entirely. We know that isn't all of it, but at least we know why. Td3 has still not solved anything for anyone, and we know that the 80s and 90s are basically fuckups. 

Would be nice if HBO would release this in 6 months in chronological order, to see if it's a better show.

So right now we know the garbage man died just because he was a scapegoat. Easy target for hate and a frame up. But since Julie isn't dead and resurfaces...

Now the dad becomes the easy scapegoat because of her call to the tip line and pretty much nothing else. I mean he did kill the brother in law ( I assume) but temporary insanity/ circumstances and all...who could blame him?    And once again since he finds the pink palace we know it wasn't him...(pretty sure the ex cop kills him and then gets offed himself for knowing too much)   His wife was actually in on it and getting paid but she is dead too...

So does the 2015 timeline reporter truly end up as Julies' daughter and does the chicken CEO get found out? I assume he has been funding the elections of that AG who keeps steering Hays and Woods in the wrong directions. These seem to be the only questions unanswered.

done with late night rambling. 

I'm guessing Tom is first interrogated before being killed (probably made to look like a suicide), and that leads them to Dan. Then West and Hays realize enough of it that Harris James ends up being killed by them (or possibly just by West).

Something like that, I guess.

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

I can't help but feel that this season has been way too slow of a burn.  It's not outwardly bad in the way that S2 was, but despite the strong lead performances the mystery and the episode-by-episode advancement of the story have not worked for me.  It would have to do a lot in the final two episodes for me to give it anything more than a meh recommendation to someone else.  

Definitely agreed.  The pacing is poor, and the three timelines are not working well, and the overall impact is meh.  There is a progressive reveal in each episode rather than 9 eps of nothing followed by a deus ex machina, but it’s still a muddled narrative and badly muddled character development.  I think this will be the end of TD.  And it really should have been just that amazing first season.

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

I agree, they made many of the same mistakes as Westworld 2 did, one timeline too many, and they inexplicably used these timelines to rob the story of suspense. 

Agree with comments above.  While it's hasn't been a bad season, it still hasn't come close to reaching the heights of S1. The 3 timelines thing for the sake of 3 timelines, cutting between them when the jumps aren't even remotely connecting just doesn't work and in some aspects makes the early timelines redundant  

That said... if they made a S4 of the same-ish quality I probably would watch it, it's still better than most of the shite out there.

22 hours ago, Triskele said:

And I am definitely still wanting to see how the final episodes see it play out.  But at this point I actually have to ask myself what am I even looking for, and for a show like this that seems like a problem.*  What really remains to be uncovered?  Exactly what Julie's been up to and who killed her brother and what if any coverup there was and who this new character is that told Hays he was hot and was about to hurt Tom and how the case was botched back in the day?  That seems like more or less what we're looking to see resolved, and as I type that list I just find that I am not that driven to learn the answers to any of these things.  It's tough to keep comparing it to S1, but in S1 I was dying for each new episode.  

The biggest question I have right now is why has Dorff not had more good acting gigs.  

*I can certainly concede that maybe I've not done a good enough job of watching the show.

He's been brilliant, the highlight of the season.  Had a look at his filmography a few weeks ago and there's so much shite on there. What a waste but i'm sure he'll get a few decent gigs after this.

It's been better than season 2 although a lot less adventurous due to retreating to the comfort of season one elements.

Dorf is truly deserving of a 2nd phase in his career. One would have to imagine he's had a terrible agent or been happy phoning it in for 20 years. Hopefully he's more picky and gets regular work. For him to star alongside Ali and still stand out is an accomplishment even if i think he got the better character to play.

Various news sites announcing a guest star for next episode which is a bit annoying as it's almost certainly the "big bad chicken" man which also means we haven't seen the villain on screen yet - something i think all good murder mysteries should do in the first 2 episodes

On 2/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, Mark Antony said:

Pacing hasn’t bothered me at all. I can see the arguments that the third timeline hasn’t worked but id like to see how it plays out first. Doubt it will be the end of TD unless Pizzolatto wants it to be. HBO president basically said as much. 

I wonder about that. I'm sure it's not GoT-expensive to make, but this can't be a cheap show either. The ratings are not very good and the critics are okay with it, but it's not a darling. HBO already has three other dramas similar to that, but closer to being critical darlings: Big Little Lies, The Deuce, and Succession. They've got the Watchmen series and the JJ Abrams/Jordon Peele black Lovecraft series coming soon as possible new tentpoles, plus several other smaller dramas (and are maybe spending a lot co-producing the BBC's His Dark Materials series, who knows). And there's the GoT spinoff spinning up production

It's not like it was a few years ago, where HBO had no choice but to renew TD again because they had no dramas besides it, GoT, and Westworld upcoming. Plus, Pizzolatto already has other production deals at HBO that he can work on; that Perry Mason miniseries he and Robert Downey Jr. are supposedly creating looks like it's finally moving forward (which I'd be much more excited about if RDJ was starring in it rather than just producing it).

On 2/15/2019 at 6:17 AM, red snow said:

It's been better than season 2 although a lot less adventurous due to retreating to the comfort of season one elements.

Let's be honest, a steaming pile of dog shit would be better than S2.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:33 PM, Fez said:

I wonder about that. I'm sure it's not GoT-expensive to make, but this can't be a cheap show either. The ratings are not very good and the critics are okay with it, but it's not a darling. HBO already has three other dramas similar to that, but closer to being critical darlings: Big Little Lies, The Deuce, and Succession. They've got the Watchmen series and the JJ Abrams/Jordon Peele black Lovecraft series coming soon as possible new tentpoles, plus several other smaller dramas (and are maybe spending a lot co-producing the BBC's His Dark Materials series, who knows). And there's the GoT spinoff spinning up production

It's not like it was a few years ago, where HBO had no choice but to renew TD again because they had no dramas besides it, GoT, and Westworld upcoming. Plus, Pizzolatto already has other production deals at HBO that he can work on; that Perry Mason miniseries he and Robert Downey Jr. are supposedly creating looks like it's finally moving forward (which I'd be much more excited about if RDJ was starring in it rather than just producing it).

The Deuce only has one season left, big little lies could run afoul of TD2 in sense it's a sequel to a done in one story (although I'm hoping for the leftovers style scenario of being as good when creating their own story). Then there's the fact they may not want all their shows to be SFF - crime is generally a genre that reaches a broader demographic although I suspect GOT and True blood has shown the merchandise appeal of SFF. I doubt there'll be many triple pack Hays toys covering 80s-alzheimers versions.

It does sound like Pizzolatto is getting tired of inventing a show every season from some of his inteviews. He even suggested maybe continuing True Detective as an ongoing show in the future. The other option is to not have Pizzolatto do the next season and use the concept for other showrunners to come in and do their detective miniseries they've always wanted to do. But maybe the brand isn't that strong and they'd be as well off making a new show.

15 hours ago, dbunting said:

Let's be honest, a steaming pile of dog shit would be better than S2.

i thought it rose to the level of entertainingly bad, so bad, you kept watching to see what incredibly dumb and unrealistic plot twist would be next, and it didn't disappoint.  

Archived