True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

On 2/11/2019 at 7:05 AM, Mark Antony said:

So yeah Harris James was definitely the dude who planted the bag and I still think Hays and Roland will kill him and not Dan. Just not sure how the case doesn’t end up solved in the 90s after they off Harris but I guess we’ll find out. 

That last scene was pretty intense but fuck Tom is an idiot for going in by himself. 

Good call. 

Like the casting of Michael Rooker as the main villain. He’s always great. 

Not a surprise the writers used the pedophile ring Cohle and Hart investigated to at least insert them into s3. I doubt it's the same ring, if it is in fact a ring at all.

So I guess we know what Hays left in the woods. And possibly why Amelia left.

I'm still on the fence about West. We probably know how they got Hays to drop the investigation with threats to his family, but how did they get to West? I'm assuming the villains(can't remember the corporate guys name) got their info about James's murder from West. Did he give it freely or was he coerced or forced?

I'm not sure what the point was of the Becca Hays scene.

We also saw why Hays was so panicked about his daughter wandering away in Walmart in 1990.  It wasn’t because of some generalized anxiety about missing kids while he was focused on the Purcell case again, it was because Hoyt had made a specific threat against his family. 

Still nothing new here, except a glimpse of a fourth timeline.  It has all been heavily foreshadowed.  We learned Mr. June’s connection to Hoyt, but that’s a minor wrap-up of loose threads.  The documentary director’s story has yet to be revealed but she is improbably well informed. 

45 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

We also saw why Hays was so panicked about his daughter wandering away in Walmart in 1990.  It wasn’t because of some generalized anxiety about missing kids while he was focused on the Purcell case again, it was because Hoyt had made a specific threat against his family. 

The Walmart thing happened before Hoyt showed up. 

22 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

The music before they drag him out to that barn was fucking awesome. Really curious to see how it all wraps up. 

Yeah the music for thst scene and some earlier in the series hsve been Excellent generating s real sense of foreboding and horror. The composer needs to Score a psychological horror film.

I feel like the torture scene would have been much more powerful if they had killed him via a punctured lung/internal bleeding as the scene was really raw snd disturbing up until that point. It was something of a get out to have the kill him in "self defense".

How do they get to West? Maybe something to do with how he broke things off with his fiancé and/or threatening to out him. I half ecpected Hays to say the "F" word at West in retaliation for him thinking the "N" word. The acting was good enough in that scene that i felt all those accusations were floating around.

The "guest appearance" by rust and cohle i suspect is a red herring (it's looking like crazy bereaved mum kidnapped a replacement daughter) but if they were thinking of ways to get people interested in a fourth season having the detectives team up to finally expose the ring is one option. I'd only have Hays cameo or have him die off screen though as it's a stretch to have him active still. But west and cohle would be fun. Throw in a new younger detective for fun (maybe Hay's son?). I can't even remember if anyone survived season 2 but i doubt anyone wants to be reminded.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Yeah the music for thst scene and some earlier in the series hsve been Excellent generating s real sense of foreboding and horror. The composer needs to Score a psychological horror film.

I feel like the torture scene would have been much more powerful if they had killed him via a punctured lung/internal bleeding as the scene was really raw snd disturbing up until that point. It was something of a get out to have the kill him in "self defense".

How do they get to West? Maybe something to do with how he broke things off with his fiancé and/or threatening to out him. I half ecpected Hays to say the "F" word at West in retaliation for him thinking the "N" word. The acting was good enough in that scene that i felt all those accusations were floating around.

The "guest appearance" by rust and cohle i suspect is a red herring (it's looking like crazy bereaved mum kidnapped a replacement daughter) but if they were thinking of ways to get people interested in a fourth season having the detectives team up to finally expose the ring is one option. I'd only have Hays cameo or have him die off screen though as it's a stretch to have him active still. But west and cohle would be fun. Throw in a new younger detective for fun (maybe Hay's son?). I can't even remember if anyone survived season 2 but i doubt anyone wants to be reminded.

Looking at T Bone Burnett’s filmography, and I’m surprised he never has. Also, didn’t realize he’s worked with the Coen brothers a bunch.  

Colin Farrell was by far the best part of S2, and they killed his character off, so yeah, definitely don’t bring anyone else back. 

Sad as it is to say, because I had hoped for a S1 type of show, I am glad it's almost over. It's clear the daughter was taken for the Hoyt woman as a substitute for her dead daughter. Had figured they killed the cop who planted the evidence but wasn't confident enough to type it.

So we assume Hays backs off because Boss Hoyt (is he played by Merle from Walking Dead? Swear I saw his name in the credits) threatens his family. Did they do the same with West and maybe even kill or at least chase off his fiancee? Or did he break up with her so they couldn't use her against him.

What doesn't make sense is, if Hoyt reveals himself to be the bad guy then why are West and Hays searching his abandoned mansion in the 2015 timeline, they would already know he was the bad guy. I mean, Hays has kids and grandkids who could be killed if Hoyt or his family (or larger group of child traffickers) were still a threat right?

Also, yeah, 4th timeline, why even do that since the scene meant nothing (so far).

Hays doesn't remember. Thats the horror here - he doesn't remember why he left the force or what hoyt did. 

And west backed off because he just killed a guy and had nothing to show for it. He was never as driven as hays. Hays just quits the force, stops talking to west, abandons all of it after finding it all out.

And then loses his memory.

And doesnt know why his wife didn't write the sequel. Or why he quit. Or why his daughter is estranged. But all of that he did know in 1990.

Heck, here's an out there one - what if his wife wanted to continue later and they killed her for it?

The finale was tonight and not one comment!? Unfortunately for myself it felt kind of like a chore to get through it. The reveal of the crime was very underwhelming, and seemed to come out of nowhere(I’m assuming I missed/forgot stuff from early on about Isabel). Wayne’s talks with Amelia were just exhausting too. Didn’t care for them at all by the end.

The season wasn’t all bad but the 3 timelines were a bit much, and it never felt like it got into a flow. It felt like a jumbled mess with the plot being stuck in the mud. The acting was stellar all around though, can’t knock anyone’s performance. Also cool to see how Roland became a dog person, beside the obnoxious fight scene. 

I never felt fully invested in the season. I usually watch episodes of a series like this twice in a week so I don’t miss stuff but just never wanted to with this. Interested to see what everyone else thinks. 

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

The finale was tonight and not one comment!? Unfortunately for myself it felt kind of like a chore to get through it. The reveal of the crime was very underwhelming, and seemed to come out of nowhere(I’m assuming I missed/forgot stuff from early on about Isabel). Wayne’s talks with Amelia were just exhausting too. Didn’t care for them at all by the end.

The season wasn’t all bad but the 3 timelines were a bit much, and it never felt like it got into a flow. It felt like a jumbled mess with the plot being stuck in the mud. The acting was stellar all around though, can’t knock anyone’s performance. Also cool to see how Roland became a dog person, beside the obnoxious fight scene. 

I never felt fully invested in the season. I usually watch episodes of a series like this twice in a week so I don’t miss stuff but just never wanted to with this. Interested to see what everyone else thinks. 

I actually thought the scene leading up to the fight was pretty funny, so I didn’t mind it. West and the dog was probably my favorite part of the finale. 

Overall the season was a success for me, as I actually looked forward to watching every week. The case itself wasn’t particularly strong, but like Mark said, the Hays/West relationship was good. It’s not on par with S1, but miles better than S2. 

Too bad Michael Rooker didn’t have a bigger part. 

Fucking Scooby Doo ending and not one "meddling kids and their dog" uttered :( 

Once again Pizzolato can't stick the landing. I grew very weary of Wayne and Amelia's relationship and the writers ended the season on it. Sigh. I suppose the actual resolution with Mike and Julie was ok, but I was banging my head against the wall when Wayne oh so conveniently fell into his memory lapse.

To improve the finale and season, I'm convincing myself Henry was in on the conspiracy all along and was slipping something into Wayne's drinks. He slipped the same into Roland's at the end and little Lucy also slipped it into Wayne's glass of water.

The season was ok, saved by the acting really.

16 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I actually thought the scene leading up to the fight was pretty funny, so I didn’t mind it. West and the dog was probably my favorite part of the finale. 

Overall the season was a success for me, as I actually looked forward to watching every week. The case itself wasn’t particularly strong, but like Mark said, the Hays/West relationship was good. It’s not on par with S1, but miles better than S2. 

Too bad Michael Rooker didn’t have a bigger part. 

I agree with all of this. 

Mahershala Ali deserves an Emmy to go along with his Oscars. The performances overall were the definitive highlight; the actors raised a fairly nondescript story up to the level of very good television. 

Archived