Nictarion

True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

I didn't like the ending or hate it. I also don't understand the confusion on Isabel being the one Julie was kidnapped for, I thought it was clear a few episodes ago when they talked about the wreck and when Tom found the rooms. Then they explained why Julie wasn't trying to escape and also why she was so confused in the phone message, she had been getting fed lithium the whole time she was there. She specifically said she was a princess of the pink room/castle. She also only slightly remembered a brother and knew something happened to him.

As to the mom getting money and no one questioning it, she left town and went to Vegas where no one would have a reason to question it.

As to West and Tom being lovers or either of them being gay we have zero evidence of it. Probably more of a viewer looking for things than actual story issue.

What did we end up with, 5 different time lines? 80's, 90's, Hays dropping daughter at college, Hays being school security and watching wife in class, and 2015?  Why show us Hays drop her off at college and also being a college or school security person at all? When I first saw Hays as security I thought, ok they are going to explain that he worked at her college to watch over her, and maybe that drove his daughter away, but no...it was just another blip that appears to mean nothing.

I'd have been fine with the fade out being on the grandkids riding their bikes. 

Overall underwhelming, though there was something about Hays figuring out where Julie was then having a bout of memory fog while spending time with her that almost seemed appropriate. 

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

I didn't like the ending or hate it. I also don't understand the confusion on Isabel being the one Julie was kidnapped for, I thought it was clear a few episodes ago when they talked about the wreck and when Tom found the rooms. Then they explained why Julie wasn't trying to escape and also why she was so confused in the phone message, she had been getting fed lithium the whole time she was there. She specifically said she was a princess of the pink room/castle. She also only slightly remembered a brother and knew something happened to him.

As to the mom getting money and no one questioning it, she left town and went to Vegas where no one would have a reason to question it.

As to West and Tom being lovers or either of them being gay we have zero evidence of it. Probably more of a viewer looking for things than actual story issue.

What did we end up with, 5 different time lines? 80's, 90's, Hays dropping daughter at college, Hays being school security and watching wife in class, and 2015?  Why show us Hays drop her off at college and also being a college or school security person at all? When I first saw Hays as security I thought, ok they are going to explain that he worked at her college to watch over her, and maybe that drove his daughter away, but no...it was just another blip that appears to mean nothing.

When did she leave for Vegas did they ever say? I remember them saying she dies there in 87' or so. Surely she was still there while the case was ongoing at least.  She was also being paid before the whole incident ever happened which would either show up in bank statements or people in a small community would notice the chicken factory employee has cash to burn all of a sudden. 

Edited by dooog

55 minutes ago, dooog said:

When did she leave for Vegas did they ever say? I remember them saying she dies there in 87' or so. Surely she was still there while the case was ongoing at least.  She was also being paid before the whole incident ever happened which would either show up in bank statements or people in a small community would notice the chicken factory employee has cash to burn all of a sudden. 

They never said she was getting a lot of money for the "play dates".  Hell it may have only been like $25-50 each date so why would anyone notice?

She was a person who just drank and slept around that doesn't cost much money. Hell she may have been getting the drinks for free most nights.

Very average ending and I'm left with the feeling neither of them were "true detectives" as it took them 25 years to not solve a case.

Pizzolato has a knack for generating more story and speculation than real substance and a lot if it is largely due to lazy storytelling techniques

Great performances though - need more Dorf in future and the score was mind-blowing. It's rare that the music slone can induce horror but that happened several times in this show

11 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Man I hated the ending... for the life of me, I don;t understand why they didn;t introduce Isabel earlier, to make the ending a swerve instead of whatever the fuck this was... 

"Hey, now that you've been watching for 7 weeks, we think we'll just wrap it up with the killer/kidnapper being a character you've never seen or heard of before.... surprise!!!!." FFS

Yeah, I agree. I actually liked the season quite a bit. The problem is the ending feels like an info dump. It was all worth it though for the performances, just this episode did not do it for me.

So, there wasn't really a season 1 tie-in? That was just a stupid red herring showing the season 1 detectives on a newspaper?

I didn't particularly like it, but didn't hate it either. Giving us the resolution of the whole mystery in the talk of three old men just didn't work for me.

Some kind of closure for Tom would also be nice.

Also, why would Henry keep the piece of paper with Julie's address? What would he supposed to do if he got there?

28 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Also, why would Henry keep the piece of paper with Julie's address? What would he supposed to do if he got there?

Henry is a police detective too. I took this as a nod to him possibly looking into the reasons why his senile dad had written down an address out in the middle of nowhere, miles away from his home, and then driven out there only to end up "lost" in memory fog. That part was a bit of a parallel to that one episode ending where old Wayne wound up at the ruins of the Purcell house, wandering around confused in the street. 

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum

It was.  Interesting. 

Sort of slow and underwhelming, but yet it was an elegant ending in many respects.  I suspect it will improve on a rewatch.  I still dislike the color palette immensely. 

I'm sorry to say that I am close to where Kal is at and that this finale was quite disappointing.  I now would say that I go from "meh" to something a little below "meh" for my take on S3, and it's closer to S2 than S1 for me right at this moment.  

In S2 the VV character felt so out of place and quasi absurd.  In this season, instead, you had Ali and Dorff holding it down big time with what they were given.  I actually give those guys credit to the point of saying that they masked the other weaknesses of the season.  If a tale about these two troubled guys and their relationship over the years around this botched case is enough for a viewer then this was solid.  But I go back to saying what I'd said earlier and others have said in the last two days that the central mystery was just not very compelling on its own.  

I went from one thumb up and one thump down (is this a thing?) to thumbs down.  But amazing work by Dorff and Ali's ability to play a semi-confused older guy was quite a thing to see. 

Because I'm an HBO guy I would still probably give another season of TD a shot but with really measured expectations.  It feels like S1 was a classic lightning-in-a-bottle situation.  

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

Because I'm an HBO guy I would still probably give another season of TD a shot but with really measured expectations.  It feels like S1 was a classic lightning-in-a-bottle situation.  

A lot of it was straight-up plagiarism. Pizzollatto is a hack.

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

A lot of it was straight-up plagiarism. Pizzollatto is a hack.

The story was never the best part anyway. It was the acting, and Cary Fukunaga’s direction. The latter has been sorely missed the last couple seasons. 

I had high hopes for this season, and was giving it the benefit of the doubt. But I thought the mystery was fairly predictable, and without much dramatic tension. The reveal conversation was just boring. 

I do think the acting was great and was the saving grace for the season. 

21 hours ago, King Roberts beard said:

I found Hays and Amelia pretty unlikable tbh.

Those 2 together were like the toxic, bickering couple everyone has known at some point. It was exhausting by the last episode. 

ETA: I just read that Pizzolatto said Amelia’s death was cut for time, and that she died peacefully in her sleep in 2013. 

Edited by Ramsay B.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The story was never the best part anyway. It was the acting, and Cary Fukunaga’s direction. The latter has been sorely missed the last couple seasons. 

Sorely missed.  And then some.  Maybe Pizzolato is a hack?  Hmmm.  Possible.  Last season was definitely hackneyed. This season was okay, but would have benefited from some different organization of the how the story flowed I think.

12 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Those 2 together were like the toxic, bickering couple everyone has known at some point. It was exhausting by the last episode. 

ETA: I just read that Pizzolatto said Amelia’s death was cut for time, and that she died peacefully in her sleep in 2013. 

Makes sense. How else would they fit the couple breaking up in 1980 and then getting back together 5 minutes later. I was on the edge of my seat there despite the fact I knew they got married and had 2 children.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:17 AM, red snow said:

Very average ending and I'm left with the feeling neither of them were "true detectives" as it took them 25 years to not solve a case.

Pizzolato has a knack for generating more story and speculation than real substance and a lot if it is largely due to lazy storytelling techniques

Great performances though - need more Dorf in future and the score was mind-blowing. It's rare that the music slone can induce horror but that happened several times in this show

Actually it took them 35 years to not solve the case. Worst. Detectives. Ever.

Pretty, pretty bad. I heard the creator wanted a two hour finale, and he had to cut out a bunch of stuff. Thank God, it already took me two hours to finish.

I feel like after the info dump of "here's how it went down" when the two detectives look at the one-eyed dude for a minute and instead of killing or arresting him, they just get up and walk out they're so pissed...that's them sympathizing with the audience.

I couldn't take anymore whispery bad poetry that is supposed to create meaning from nothing.

And the one scene everyone loves? Dorff's fight in the bar? Lifted right out of Breaking Bad! The creator loves to "borrow" ideas.

Ugh. I'm sorry if I'm overly salty. I shouldn't even have started the season because I knew whether I loved or hated it, I'd have to see it through.

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

While I completely agree with the great acting and direction of S1 I also think that it had a central case that was intriguing as shit.  Easily better than the two follow-up seasons.  

It also had this exchange:

"I don't want another drunk."

"Hey, Steve was going through a rough time."