Nictarion

True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Looks pretty good. Hopefully they learned from the mess that was S2 that just having name actors won't get you by.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Looks pretty good. Hopefully they learned from the mess that was S2 that just having name actors won't get you by.

It does feel from the trailer like they are doing a story more reminiscent of season 1 than whatever season 2 was.

Trailer looks really good. I’m starting to feel excited for this but know it’s likely I’m in for disappointment. 

On 11/4/2018 at 5:33 PM, unJon said:

Trailer looks really good. I’m starting to feel excited for this but know it’s likely I’m in for disappointment. 

I think I'm more likely to be pleasantly surprised as I'm going in exoecting season 2 and not season 1.

I would make a small wager that S3 will be terrific... I know that S2 was disappointing... but HBO is about as good a content creator/provider as there is.... I think they were probably waiting for the right script for S3.... and I doubt they want to throw away the franchise after S1 was so god,,, 

....and Mahershala Ali

I think s2 was just a sophomore slump. I'm excited for s3 and much of it is Mahershala Ali.

Really excited for this season. One was great, two was meh that had it's moments, but it was clearly rushed and vince vaughn was out of place in it. It was also pretty much going off of Ellroy's The Big Nowhere without being the Big Nowhere.

Reviews are starting to come out (critics were sent the first five episodes) and overall they are extremely positive of season 3; of the central mystery, of the tightness of the writing, and of Mahershala Ali's acting.

Here's three (warning; there are some light spoilers):

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/1/2/18159472/true-detective-season-3-review-mahershala-ali

https://variety.com/2019/tv/reviews/true-detective-season-3-review-mahershala-ali-1203096139/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/true-detective-review-season-3-1171882

Bump

only a couple more days now. Really looking forward to having something good to watch week to week again. Early reviews sound very positive. 

What would everyone prefer as far as spoilers? I can change the thread title if people don’t want to deal with using tags. 

I hope its good, it may never reach the peak of season 1,  it would be hard not to be better than the mess that was season 2, but, will it get the audience back?

They definitely threw in “watch the leather” for McConaughey, right? :lol:

Stront start overall. Ali was great, and the tone and atmosphere feels much more like S1 without being too similar. 

The first episode kind of reminded me of the West Memphis 3 case. Missing kids on bikes, 3 teenage suspects that were outcasts and into metal, satanic stuff, etc.  

Also, didn’t realize Jeremy Sauliner was involved with this season. I really liked Blue Ruin, and Green Room. Still need to see Hold the Dark. Seems like most were disappointed with that one though. 

First two episodes were solid in my opinion. Ali really is doing an incredible job channeling his inner Rust Cole, with the thousand yard stare and all. Can’t wait to see how this all turns out with the case, and the time jumping, holy shit is it impressive. I’d say Pizzolatto and team have built themselves a firm foundation for this season. 

Coming here without reading anything to complain that I didn’t realize two episodes aired last night! I watched the first the. Assumed HBO was replaying it. Ugh. Now have to avoid spoilers until I get home from work tonight.