Nictarion

True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

21 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Plus they specifically mention him knowing what happened with julie Purcell. So he would know what she looks like, and even if he forgets due to dementia others around him would know. 

It's a detective story, not a soap opera. 

I really hope your last statement hold true.

8 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

That would mean Elisa would be in her low to mid 40’s. She looks much younger than that(the actress is 31). They could obviously be related somehow though. 

That's what i thought regarding age but if she was abducted/groomed she could have become a mother at an age where her daughter could be the tv reporter. Hays could be thinking "she reminds me of someone" without ever having met the reporter before.

I'm wondering if his wife's book will be a key to solving or uncovering the mystery of this season's crime. Some detail to jog his memory?

6 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'm wondering if his wife's book will be a key to solving or uncovering the mystery of this season's crime. Some detail to jog his memory?

Having finally finished episode 2 i do appreciate how they were sprinkling lots of conspiracies as in season 1 to allow viewers to entertain themselves.

One that stuck out for me was his wife saying she decided to be pretend to be a different person a couple of times a year. Could just be establishing she's a frustrated writer or it could be suggesting she is capable of writing fiction so that her book isn't reliable. She us a character I'm looking forward to finding out more about. Same with his daughter.

Hopefully his son doesn't get turned into cyborg during the show.

Lastly, Disney need to look ali up for playing  a sith in a future star wars film - he has the light sabre sound and jedi stance down

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Having finally finished episode 2 i do appreciate how they were sprinkling lots of conspiracies as in season 1 to allow viewers to entertain themselves.

One that stuck out for me was his wife saying she decided to be pretend to be a different person a couple of times a year. Could just be establishing she's a frustrated writer or it could be suggesting she is capable of writing fiction so that her book isn't reliable. She us a character I'm looking forward to finding out more about. Same with his daughter.

Hopefully his son doesn't get turned into cyborg during the show.

Lastly, Disney need to look ali up for playing  a sith in a future star wars film - he has the light sabre sound and jedi stance down

He would have been a much better Mace Windu than Samuel L. Jackson.

I'm wondering what exactly happened in her past when she was in the Anti-War movement during the Vietnam War.

30 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Too young at the time. 

Edited by Nictarion

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Too young at the time. 

Plus i think he'd make a better villain.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I'm wondering what exactly happened in her past when she was in the Anti-War movement during the Vietnam War.

She did say something about the panthers at one point. So i think she was pretty active. 

10 hours ago, red snow said:

I like it.  Will never happen though, Disney "baddies" have to be white

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Too young at the time. 

Sure, but what if? We would've been spared SLJ and his lame purple lightsaber.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Plus i think he'd make a better villain.

She did say something about the panthers at one point. So i think she was pretty active. 

Possibly. He was great as Cottonmouth. Then again, Anakin thought the Jedis were villains.

We've only seen Roland in the 1980 timeline so far haven't we? I hope he comes into the other timelines as well. I expect he will come into 1990 atleast.

17 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

We've only seen Roland in the 1980 timeline so far haven't we? I hope he comes into the other timelines as well. I expect he will come into 1990 atleast.

Its just following the same narrative trick as season 1 with woody harrelson. Until we see him in the 90s or present tbey expect us to assume something has happened to him. As it is I'm not biting as I'm a bit tired of that trick. I'll give them bonus points if he has just died of lung cancer in a non dramatic way that adds to the plot.

At first i was thinking Stephen dorff has really aged but then i realised i haven't seen him in anything since Blade so I'm judging him against his 20+ year younger self.

I don't know if we will see him in later timelines. Everything said about the show so far is that it's more of a one-man show, not a two-hander the way S1 was.

They'll go full season 1 and Roland will have had an affair with Amelia and is the real father of Becca.

Roland in later timelines:

Read an interview with Dorff where he mentioned being a more successful person than his partner in the 1990s timeline.

That's not really a spoiler, they mentioned it in one of the first two eps.

Waiting to discover what happened between Hays and Roland and the police force. I enjoyed the tension of their 1990 reunion scene at the bar. How did Roland get shot? Roland's comment about Hays's big mouth was spot on with some things Hays said this episode: his conversation with Amelia after she returned from her dinner with the cops and his comment to her about the war protests ending once the draft ended.

I feel for Woodard and was hoping he would get in a few more shots, but then didn't feel as bad after the scene where he seemed to be hiding his bag. What was in the bag in Woodard's garage? It was shaped oddly like a body.

Looks like Elisa is trying to get a reaction out of Hays for her documentary.

I'm thinking the mom knows something. She seemed to know exactly which photo Hays was interested in in that album.

So D&D, dolls, a secret friend, a secret meeting place, a mysterious expensive brown sedan? What else?

22 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I feel for Woodard and was hoping he would get in a few more shots, but then didn't feel as bad after the scene where he seemed to be hiding his bag. What was in the bag in Woodard's garage? It was shaped oddly like a body.

I thought it was a rifle.  My guess is he is going to get blamed for the kids murder/abduction after he kills/tries to kill some of the local hicks.  Hence the case reopening in '90 as he clearly didn't do it.

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

So D&D, dolls, a secret friend, a secret meeting place, a mysterious expensive brown sedan? What else?

I thought Hayes' 2015 (that's the right year?) imagined Amelia's comment about something "he left in the woods" is likely important, but I don't think we can really know what that is supposed to mean.  Also, I think the implication was that he ended up somehow being complicit?  Not sure.

What if part of his memory issues isn't actually dementia, but rather repression of what he found out?  Kind of jives a bit with what Hayes implies to the doctor, how they don't know what the problem with his memory is, as I thought the implication was not so much that he has actual dementia (or the like) but rather that he is getting old.  Might be misreading that though.

While I did think the encounter with the doctor seemed to draw some attention to "we don't know what's up exactly with the the disease" it seems unlikely that there's no memory issue given other scenes with the family where there's concern about his recollection with basic stuff.  

I remember thinking Dorf''s casting was a joke.  Shame on me.  He was great in this last episode.  

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

While I did think the encounter with the doctor seemed to draw some attention to "we don't know what's up exactly with the the disease" it seems unlikely that there's no memory issue given other scenes with the family where there's concern about his recollection with basic stuff.  

Right, I should have had a "just" in there, as in, "not just dementia."

Otherwise, what is with "her" saying that to him?  In other words, why is he saying that to himself there?  Unless we suppose that there is something supernatural at hand.  In either case, there is something up with what he doesn't want to remember, in my estimation.