True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

7 minutes ago, Talleyrand said:

I've enjoyed Scoot McNairy in everything I've seen him in so with Ali also in and Saulnier directing my hopes are starting to rise, but then I remember what season 2 did to my hopes and I get scared again.

McNairy was fantastic in Halt and Catch Fire. I think it's a good addition.

• 7 months later...
On 8/27/2018 at 11:26 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

Very dubious about this but I will watch it. 

I LOOOOOVED season 1 and season 2 was garbage.

Yeah, I'm trying not to be fooled by the excellent cast this time. I think that the writer has had a lot more time should help and wasn't milch helping him as showrunner. Its clear they have tried to address some problems. Although it again highlights the problem with anthologies in that stand alone projects may be better. I can see how it's a good idea when it works though.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Although it again highlights the problem with anthologies in that stand alone projects may be better. I can see how it's a good idea when it works though.

Depends on how you do the anthology.  Like perhaps you could put Pretty Little Lies and Sharp Objects together as different seasons of an anthology, but there is no reason for that at all.  Fargo has connective tissue with characters at least.  True Detective so far has not.  Star Trek could be made into an anthology, with different characters  from season to season, set in different parts of the ST universe, and different times even.  Fear The Walking Dead seems like it's evolving more into an anthology, exploring different characters as the ones we know move across the U.S. -- almost the whole cast has been replaced.

So either cast or setting as connective tissue, otherwise no point.  Theme perhaps could be a connective tissue, but I don't think anyone really has 5 seasons worth of stuff to say about any particular theme.

30 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Theme perhaps could be a connective tissue, but I don't think anyone really has 5 seasons worth of stuff to say about any particular theme.

Well American Horror Story is gonna be entering its 8th season soon lol. Though admittedly I only enjoyed the first 3.

8 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Well American Horror Story is gonna be entering its 8th season soon lol. Though admittedly I only enjoyed the first 3.

One season more than I managed to enjoy.

Season 2 of true detective could just as easily been its own limited series but they chose to grab people's attention by cashing in on the success of TD and the creator. Problem is they have tainted season 1 by association with it. There was a cop show a couple of years ago with Lennie James and Mark Strong which could just have easily been branded true detective.

I agree with the idea that there needs to be a stronger connective tissue than just "it has a detective in it". As mentioned Fargo has a crossover with characters and setting as well as the creative setting and I think American horror story kept the actors as well as creators.

Unless season 3 of TD has some crossover with previous seasons it's probably just a hbo crime show. Which isn't a bad thing.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Unless season 3 of TD has some crossover with previous seasons it's probably just a hbo crime show. Which isn't a bad thing.

They were talking to McConaughey about coming back a while ago but I don't know if they convinced him. 

14 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I found season 2 to be a big disappointment after season 1, but I'll tune in for Mahershala Ali alone. I really hope they can pull off three timelines.

Same here... he is an absolute monster... While I'll join the chorus of people who were disappointed in S2.... I *do* have faith in HBO... they don;t miss often, and I wouldn;t be surprised if they're doing S3 to correct their mistake

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

They were talking to McConaughey about coming back a while ago but I don't know if they convinced him. 

If he were to guest star it'd be cool if they kept it a surprise.

I also think they could easily have the character work another case

3 hours ago, red snow said:

If he were to guest star it'd be cool if they kept it a surprise.

I also think they could easily have the character work another case

Sorry I guess I shouldn't have said anything then. :P This was a while ago though and it may not have even been for this story. It's possible they considered doing a totally different season three but then he said he wasn't interested. 

Edit: Here's the article by the way. 

I re-watched True Detective S1 for the first time since its initial airing, after getting reminded of it by the trailer for S3. I still really liked it overall, but was surprised to find myself more disappointed by the ending than I had been originally. IIRC, I had gotten somewhat caught up in the mythos and mysteries during the initial run (though not nearly to the extent of some people), but was still relatively satisfied by the ending. As Marty even says, they got their guy, they were never going to get everyone.

But this time around, it was disappointing that the existence of the bigger overall cult, which is truly uncovered in E7 with the tape Rust shows Marty, just disappears from the narrative and is barely mentioned in the finale. It makes the ending feel so small.

Beyond that though, I wish Nic Pizzolatto had the guts to go all-in on the weird fiction he hinted at in early episodes and had an actual Lovecraftian nightmare at the end of the season; rather than just the half-hearted drug flashback vision that Rust sees.

In the end, it actually made a bit less hyped for S3. I had been super disappointed by S2, but in my memory I liked everything about S1, so I had the hope that S3 could be a return to form. And it definitely might be, but it turns out I had more issues even with S1 than I remembered.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

I re-watched True Detective S1 for the first time since its initial airing, after getting reminded of it by the trailer for S3. I still really liked it overall, but was surprised to find myself more disappointed by the ending than I had been originally. IIRC, I had gotten somewhat caught up in the mythos and mysteries during the initial run (though not nearly to the extent of some people), but was still relatively satisfied by the ending. As Marty even says, they got their guy, they were never going to get everyone.

But this time around, it was disappointing that the existence of the bigger overall cult, which is truly uncovered in E7 with the tape Rust shows Marty, just disappears from the narrative and is barely mentioned in the finale. It makes the ending feel so small.

But I think that really uncovering the conspiracy would have felt a bit too neat.  They got three of the worst guys and the rest of the cult (save the guy who died of natural causes) are presumably being less brazen.  It's an incomplete victory, but that's life.

I do wonder whether Cole is really going to be able to give up the hunt though, given how much of his identity was wrapped up in this quest.  I thought that in the hospital he was trying to convince himself that "they'd done enough", but I'm not sure he really believes it.   

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived