Better Call Saul -- Season 3 Fring-ing The Gang Back Together Again

SpaceChampion

Never watched BB. So I came to BCS with fresh eyes, and I have no problem with it being a squabble between brothers, so long as it doesn't get dragged out.

I'm assuming the flash forwards to Cinnabon are post BB and I imagine the plan is to work the series forward to that point. The connundrum for people making TV shows with pre-determined finishing points is how long do you take to get there, and so how much filler do you need to make sure you use up the necessary broadcast hours.

For me the brothers' squabble has already dragged on way too long (although I've seen BB, so).  I found season 1 to be much stronger than season 2 for the most part.  Hoping it picks back up in Season 3.  ymmv

I quite enjoyed the Jimmy/Chuck dynamic and the writers have done a good job with Kim. She is already a more interesting character, and one that I am much more invested in, than either Skylar or Marie. It's a slow burn but the show will eventually get to the BB-style stakes and hopefully the upcoming season gives us more Mike and Nacho. The make or break for this show will be how well they can execute the overlap with BB. At the end of the day, BCS has to stand on its own so everything needs to make sense within the context of this show and not rely on knowledge from BB. I have faith that Gilligan and Gould will do a good job of it.

I enjoyed the first two seasons. I thought that the relatively 'low stakes' Jimmy sequences were balanced nicely with Mike's narrative, which tended to be more suspenseful and in keeping with the higher stakes of BB. I'm looking forward to the two storylines (hopefully) coalescing in this season, as Jimmy begins to move outside of the narrow bounds of 'elder law'.

Is it safe to assume Chuck set up his assistant to see if he is a Jimmy mole? Seemed like Chuck had a smile on his face after he gave him the "confidential" lecture/threat.

Agree with @Nictarion about Mike, he could go half the episode without speaking and it would be fully understood what was going on and emotional.

So is Kim struggling with that draft for the law firm because she is scared of messing up or if she is having ethical concerns because she knows Jimmy sabotaged Chuck?

Just now, dbunting said:

1)Is it safe to assume Chuck set up his assistant to see if he is a Jimmy mole? Seemed like Chuck had a smile on his face after he gave him the "confidential" lecture/threat.

2)So is Kim struggling with that draft for the law firm because she is scared of messing up or if she is having ethical concerns because she knows Jimmy sabotaged Chuck?

1) Yeah Ernesto covered for Jimmy last season so after Jimmy confessed Chuck obviously knew Ernesto was lying. Think its safe to assume Chuck thinks Ernesto will be going straight to Jimmy, not sure what that accomplishes though as Jimmy should know the tape is useless. 

2) I think the latter. It was pretty clear Kim was uncomfortable when the Mesa Verde chick was bad mouthing Chuck. 

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

1) Yeah Ernesto covered for Jimmy last season so after Jimmy confessed Chuck obviously knew Ernesto was lying. Think its safe to assume Chuck thinks Ernesto will be going straight to Jimmy, not sure what that accomplishes though as Jimmy should know the tape is useless. 

Maybe Chuck knows how Jimmy handles things and expects to catch him breaking in to steal the tape back, larceny charge or something? It's a stretch I know but hey, it's another week before we get to see the next episode.

When Chuck flipped the tongs in his hand and had the cat that ate the canary grin I was "Ohhhhhhhhh, it's another Chuck set up!"

I got a little confused why Mike would drain the battery and then just throw it away, but then I realized he drained the battery while in the tracer - so that they would come and replace the gas cap not knowing that Mike had switched that with his gas cap and he could then trace them. Right?

34 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I got a little confused why Mike would drain the battery and then just throw it away, but then I realized he drained the battery while in the tracer - so that they would come and replace the gas cap not knowing that Mike had switched that with his gas cap and he could then trace them. Right?

Right.  I got confused initially thinking Mike was just going to see who it was and follow visually, so wanted to put the dead battery back in the tracer back in the gas cap back in the car for the guy to come and replace just the battery right there -- I didn't think the guy would put a different cap with a different tracer in it.  Mike thought it through though -- and following him meant he needed a working battery in it, but his own tracer.

Got around to seeing S3E1 yesterday and it felt like half an episode stretched out into a whole episode. I feel like Vince Gilligan likes Jimmy so much that he's really putting off him turning into Saul as long as possible. But this really makes for kind of a boring episode. We all know from the S3 promos that Gus is returning, so it's a pretty safe bet it's Gus behind putting the tracer in Mike's car. I felt like we at least needed a reveal of Los Pollos Hermanos or Gus' house, something of that nature, as the final shot in this episode. Hopefully the rest of the season picks up pace.

Archived