Better Call Saul -- Season 3 Fring-ing The Gang Back Together Again

SpaceChampion

If Jimmy wanted to totally gaslight Chuck (to get both the tribunal and Chuck doubting himself), he could have said he's been lying often to Chuck since their childhoods in order to prevent Chuck from losing control.  That all the lying Jimmy does all his life is because of Chuck. That Jimmy is just a scared little boy trying to prevent his big scary brother from bullying him.

I feel unclean suggesting it though.

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

I still remain somewhat in awe of this show.  I shouldn't given that Breaking Bad was so good, but this show continues to be one of the best on TV, and when they announced this spinoff in the first place I just didn't see it.  Shame on me.

Same here. When I first heard they were doing a Saul spinoff I figured it would be a goofy comedy that only Breaking Bad fans would appreciate. I couldn't have been more wrong. This show is really is great. 

Lydia, oh Lydia, say have you met Lydia? Lydia the tattooed lady...

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

So it looks like Nacho will put something in one of Hector's pills that will make him stroke out or whatever and end up in the chair. Interesting. Good for Nacho, Hector is such a POS.

Maybe Nacho gets Jimmy/Saul to help him with and that's why he was so freaked out and naming "Ignacio" when Walter and Jesse first met him.

And so, maybe Saul Goodman incubating in Jimmy's mind for a while but a cheap TV commercial is where he was born, which is perfect.

I'm just not digging Mike's "half" of the show (everything involving Mike, Ignacio, the drug dealers, etc). I just don't think it holds well as its own show, it relies too heavily on our nostalgia for Breaking Bad. Too much of it relies on us saying "oh look, it's X!" Besides, nothing is really at stake with Mike, we know everyone he cares about, and we know they end up just fine. And there's really no reason to care about Gus, and too little of Ignacio to really be invested in him. Maybe if they show more of Ignacio it will be better, but as it is, I find myself always waiting for the show to get back to Jimmy and Chuck whenever it's focusing on Mike or the drug dealer stories.

Also, I hope Kim took what Chuck's ex said about Jimmy to heart, because she was right on the money about him.

8 minutes ago, Bridgeburners said:

I'm just not digging Mike's "half" of the show (everything involving Mike, Ignacio, the drug dealers, etc). I just don't think it holds well as its own show, it relies too heavily on our nostalgia for Breaking Bad. Too much of it relies on us saying "oh look, it's X!" Besides, nothing is really at stake with Mike, we know everyone he cares about, and we know they end up just fine. And there's really no reason to care about Gus, and too little of Ignacio to really be invested in him. Maybe if they show more of Ignacio it will be better, but as it is, I find myself always waiting for the show to get back to Jimmy and Chuck whenever it's focusing on Mike or the drug dealer stories.

Also, I hope Kim took what Chuck's ex said about Jimmy to heart, because she was right on the money about him.

I think the entire show relies too much on "oh look it's X" not just Mike's arc. This was an okay episode for those who have seen Breaking Bad but I can't imagine what anyone else would've taken from it.  We had Crazy 8, we had Gus scoping out the meth laundromat and then the camera lingering on Lydia implying some further significance. Far too much piggybacking, i'd prefer to see it stand on its own two legs.

I hope Chuck gets back on track. I liked him and Hamlin in the sales pitch to Mesa Verde last season, I'd hope to see them in action a few more times. Hamlin being a bro was also a pretty nice moment this ep.

Nacho was the most interesting part of the episode. The actor is doing an excellent job. 

We're finally seeing Saul Goodman too. I hope he's not going to sit around for a year. Some of the best stuff last season was Slippin Jimmy, so I hope we'll get Saul's antics this season.

11 hours ago, dooog said:

I think the entire show relies too much on "oh look it's X" not just Mike's arc. This was an okay episode for those who have seen Breaking Bad but I can't imagine what anyone else would've taken from it.  We had Crazy 8, we had Gus scoping out the meth laundromat and then the camera lingering on Lydia implying some further significance. Far too much piggybacking, i'd prefer to see it stand on its own two legs.

Inline image 1

Waaaay too much piggybacking. Season 1 was good because it was a different show than Breaking Bad. I don't think it was necessary to introduce Lydia (or Gus) at all, much less introduce them in the same few episodes of the same season. We know the fate of all of these characters which robs the show of any possible tension or consequence to them. We know Gus isn't going to die, go to jail or "lose" in any major fashion. Lydia's not going to go to jail or even get fired. Hector will lose somehow but won't die so I'm not really holding my breath on his outcome. They might lose a few minor power plays or career positions but I don't think you can carry whole seasons or multiple seasons with them. I find Nacho to be one of the more interesting characters because we don't know much about him or what his future will be. Bringing back Mike should have been enough for the Breaking Bad nostalgia without compromising the originality and identity of the show. 

The overall storyarc from Season 1 to 3 is interesting. They took Tuco and double-downed on it. Slippin Jimmy could have hilariously schemed and scammed his way into any number of criminal enterprises and social circles until ultimately being reduced to petty lawyer Saul Goodman. Not sure it needed to be Gus's organization.

I don't know, I re-watch things all the time and still enjoy them despite knowing exactly how they end. I've certainly been enjoying this show. I don't think the Breaking Bad appearances have become gratuitous yet. It'd have been weird if we didn't see Lydia at some point given her business relationship with Gus. Madrigal were the ones who bought the laundry building after all.

Nacho is one of the best characters, but I put that down to Michael Mando being awesome. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I don't know, I re-watch things all the time and still enjoy them despite knowing exactly how they end. I've certainly been enjoying this show. I don't think the Breaking Bad appearances have become gratuitous yet. It'd have been weird if we didn't see Lydia at some point given her business relationship with Gus. Madrigal were the ones who bought the laundry building after all.

Nacho is one of the best characters, but I put that down to Michael Mando being awesome. 

I agree with all this. I'd like to see more stuff with Michael Mando. Think Orphan Black is the only other thing I've seen him in. 

22 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Maybe Nacho gets Jimmy/Saul to help him with and that's why he was so freaked out and naming "Ignacio" when Walter and Jesse first met him.

This is the theory going around and it makes too much sense combined with them beating us over the head showing Nacho staring at the pill.

Nacho (Ignacio) causes and/or doesn't help when Hector is stroking out. Saul/Jimmy was present or knows about it.

When Walt/Jesse take Saul into the desert, Saul thinks it's the cartel trying to kill him, perhaps because of Hector, and Saul screams "It was Ignacio!".

Archived