Book of the Ancestor trilogy by Mark Lawrence {spoiler thread}

AncalagonTheBlack

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I've always really liked the magic school trope, so that probably helped a lot.

And thinking more, she's more like Psylocke than x-23, since her knives are more, eh, energy based.

I don't know Psylocke, but they came out of her knuckles, she made a fist when she used them, she had three per hand (I think), they'd cut through just about anything.... Color me rolling my eyes.

1 hour ago, Contrarius+ said:

I don't know Psylocke, but they came out of her knuckles, she made a fist when she used them, she had three per hand (I think), they'd cut through just about anything.... Color me rolling my eyes.

Four, actually, one for each finger. I also think she used extended fingers, but I am not completely sure.

5 minutes ago, Bastard of Godsgrace said:

Four, actually, one for each finger. I also think she used extended fingers, but I am not completely sure.

No, I remember the fisted hand part. That's what really made me start ranting -- the blades came out of the backs of her hands when she made a fist.

"She flexed her fists and felt the flaw-blades form."

"Nona flew, arms extended, and hit the man in the face with both fists. Her flaw-blades, six inches long and spiking from her knuckles"

But also -- "Nona made a fist and extended one finger from it, sheathed in a single flaw-blade." -- which creates a slightly different picture.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

They start out coming from her fingers, but during the fight in the end she's punching them into people with her fists.

I don't think they ever really "come from her fingers". But correct about the fists.. Because they're coming out of her knuckle area. Just like Wolverine's. They're energy-Wolverine blades, more or less.

This thread. :rofl::rofl:

"Male aimed fantasy" Ohnoes, girl cooties? Really, is this a fourteen year old audience? Although I now imagine that most people who cling like Titanic survivors to their "grimdark iz for boyz" wooden door actually have a mental age of 14.

13 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Earlier lines seem to contradict this.

Well, he specifically says that they come from her knuckles -- "Her flaw-blades, six inches long and spiking from her knuckles".

But your additional quotes do make it seem that Lawrence wavers from one to the other. Either he couldn't make up his mind, or the blades act differently depending on her will or circumstance.

On 07/06/2017 at 11:13 PM, Contrarius+ said:

I don't think they ever really "come from her fingers". But correct about the fists.. Because they're coming out of her knuckle area. Just like Wolverine's. They're energy-Wolverine blades, more or less.

Yeah, that's how I thought of them too. I'm pretty sure there is a marvel character with energy claws in the style of wolverine too. Apparently mangaverse Wolverine had one set of energy claws and then there's these guys.

My mental image for Nona was pretty much of Laura from "Logan" throughout.

On 6/8/2017 at 7:37 AM, Lyanna Stark said:

This thread. :rofl::rofl:

"Male aimed fantasy" Ohnoes, girl cooties? Really, is this a fourteen year old audience? Although I now imagine that most people who cling like Titanic survivors to their "grimdark iz for boyz" wooden door actually have a mental age of 14.

If you belong to the Grimdark Reader List on Facebook, we have like seven or eight female authors.

All of which are awesome.

Deborah Anne Wolf (Dragon's Legacy)
Anne Smith (Godblind)
Anna Smith Sparks (Court of Broken Knives)
M.L. Spencer (Rhenwars)

Great bunch and environment too.

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ignoring arguments of what is and isn't awesome and definition of grimdark, you got a link to that list or group or whatever? The only thing my search turns up is a website that hasn;t been updated in over a year.

Try this   one: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1423712484569523?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_activity

Also, sorry, my phone is refusing to insert the link and format It correctly.

On 6/19/2017 at 11:01 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Ignoring arguments of what is and isn't awesome and definition of grimdark, you got a link to that list or group or whatever? The only thing my search turns up is a website that hasn;t been updated in over a year.

Thankfully, we don't sweat the details too much there.

Grimdark is anything suitably gritty and dark among fantasy and sci-fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/grimdarkfiction/

To also give a sense where its politics lay, the group is celebrating Gay Pride right now.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Still reading so i've avoided the rest of the posts, am i supposed to be able to tell who any of the characters are, it seems like they are all completely forgettable and interchangeable.

I guess the plus of the audiobook is that the narrator gives all the characters very distinct accents which maybe masks this?

21 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So, Lawrence is dropping some pretty strong hints via Facebook that we're going to be getting a new Jalan story...

The fourth one, if not Jalan, sounds very much like him.

I was weak the other day so I ordered the signed/numbered illustrated hardback omnibus of the Broken Empire Trilogy.  Had a Jorge short story in there.  I have yet to take time to read that, but I should.  I have put all novels on hold for now while waiting for Unholy Consult so I don't have to put something down mid-stream.  Now that I think about it, that's the perfect time to revisit Honorous Jorge.

Archived