AncalagonTheBlack

Book of the Ancestor trilogy by Mark Lawrence {spoiler thread}

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

And thinking more, she's more like Psylocke than x-23, since her knives are more, eh, energy based.

They reminded me a bit of the magic blades the baddie used in the Doctor Strange movie.

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I've always really liked the magic school trope, so that probably helped a lot.

And thinking more, she's more like Psylocke than x-23, since her knives are more, eh, energy based.

I don't know Psylocke, but they came out of her knuckles, she made a fist when she used them, she had three per hand (I think), they'd cut through just about anything.... Color me rolling my eyes.

1 hour ago, Contrarius+ said:

I don't know Psylocke, but they came out of her knuckles, she made a fist when she used them, she had three per hand (I think), they'd cut through just about anything.... Color me rolling my eyes.

Four, actually, one for each finger. I also think she used extended fingers, but I am not completely sure.

5 minutes ago, Bastard of Godsgrace said:

Four, actually, one for each finger. I also think she used extended fingers, but I am not completely sure.

No, I remember the fisted hand part. That's what really made me start ranting -- the blades came out of the backs of her hands when she made a fist.

"She flexed her fists and felt the flaw-blades form."

"Nona flew, arms extended, and hit the man in the face with both fists. Her flaw-blades, six inches long and spiking from her knuckles"

But also -- "Nona made a fist and extended one finger from it, sheathed in a single flaw-blade." -- which creates a slightly different picture.

They start out coming from her fingers, but during the fight in the end she's punching them into people with her fists.

11 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

They're not physically present though right? They're enegery based I thought.

I got the impression they were more like fractured space, which probably equates to the same thing for the purpose of this discussion.

Maybe after Nona found out what they were she was able to gain more control over them, hence her using them from her fist in the end rather than her fingers.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

They start out coming from her fingers, but during the fight in the end she's punching them into people with her fists.

I don't think they ever really "come from her fingers". But correct about the fists.. Because they're coming out of her knuckle area. Just like Wolverine's. They're energy-Wolverine blades, more or less.

Edited by Contrarius+

4 hours ago, Contrarius+ said:

I don't think they ever really "come from her fingers". But correct about the fists.. Because they're coming out of her knuckle area. Just like Wolverine's. They're energy-Wolverine blades, more or less.

Earlier lines seem to contradict this.

The move brought them together, Nona's hand on Zole's chest, her fingers tented above the small swell of her breast. For some fragment of a second they held like that, both looking down at Nona's hand--Nona snarling with the effort it took to hold back the invisible blades that had opened Raymel Tacsis's throat. She could slice through flesh and ribs, cut the bitch's heart out and hold it dripping above her.

She started to extend one arm towards the oncoming star. With the other she started to run her nails from the habits cuff towards her armpit. The tough cloth parted beneath her fingers without resistance. [...] The throwings tar approached Nona's outstretched hand just as the other hand reached her armpit and continued, now with just one finger extended, to slice a line across her chest.

The boy's skin had sliced where she touched him, four parallel wounds, as if she had invisible blades reaching from her fingers.

If they came straight out of her knuckles like Wolverine then they wouldn't have the levels of dexterity that we see. Unless they come out of the knuckles but are flexible enough to trace the shapes of her fingers when she moves them.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

"And that's how they found me the next morning, and that's my secret, and that's why my mother let them give me away. I'm a monster." Nona started to walk towards the cave mouth and the day that was dying on the slopes just beyond. "That's my secret and my shame. I'm Nona Grey, war is in my veins, and the screams of my enemies are music to me."

I feel like Mark Lawrence has a notebook next to his desk labeled "Things Jorg would say" full of unpolished Broken Empire throw-aways that he plucked the bolded line from.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

This thread. :rofl::rofl:

"Male aimed fantasy" Ohnoes, girl cooties? Really, is this a fourteen year old audience? Although I now imagine that most people who cling like Titanic survivors to their "grimdark iz for boyz" wooden door actually have a mental age of 14.

37 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

I now imagine that most people who cling like Titanic survivors to their "grimdark iz for boyz" wooden door actually have a mental age of 14.

So then this is YA...

10 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So then this is YA...

Well this one has women, no? So it would mean the Other Grimdark is really YA. :rofl:

13 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Earlier lines seem to contradict this.

Well, he specifically says that they come from her knuckles -- "Her flaw-blades, six inches long and spiking from her knuckles".

But your additional quotes do make it seem that Lawrence wavers from one to the other. Either he couldn't make up his mind, or the blades act differently depending on her will or circumstance.

On 07/06/2017 at 11:13 PM, Contrarius+ said:

Yeah, that's how I thought of them too. I'm pretty sure there is a marvel character with energy claws in the style of wolverine too. Apparently mangaverse Wolverine had one set of energy claws and then there's these guys.

My mental image for Nona was pretty much of Laura from "Logan" throughout.

On 6/8/2017 at 7:37 AM, Lyanna Stark said:

This thread. :rofl::rofl:

"Male aimed fantasy" Ohnoes, girl cooties? Really, is this a fourteen year old audience? Although I now imagine that most people who cling like Titanic survivors to their "grimdark iz for boyz" wooden door actually have a mental age of 14.

If you belong to the Grimdark Reader List on Facebook, we have like seven or eight female authors.

All of which are awesome.

Deborah Anne Wolf (Dragon's Legacy)
Anne Smith (Godblind)
Anna Smith Sparks (Court of Broken Knives)
M.L. Spencer (Rhenwars)

Great bunch and environment too.

Ignoring arguments of what is and isn't awesome and definition of grimdark, you got a link to that list or group or whatever? The only thing my search turns up is a website that hasn;t been updated in over a year.

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ignoring arguments of what is and isn't awesome and definition of grimdark, you got a link to that list or group or whatever? The only thing my search turns up is a website that hasn;t been updated in over a year.

Try this   one: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1423712484569523?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_activity

Also, sorry, my phone is refusing to insert the link and format It correctly.