AncalagonTheBlack

Red Sister by Mark Lawrence

On 05/03/2018 at 11:44 AM, Rhom said:

Hmmmm... the book set on the ice in Abeth sounds interesting, but I wonder about the other.  I suppose Lawrence has earned my benefit of the doubt though.

I'm actually more curious about the SF book. It sounds very different from his other works and sometimes the big shake-ups can produce the better works.

I think part 2 of the red sister books will have to wait for me - maybe for a promotional sale. I haven't been blown away by his books since the end of Thorns. Red Sister was better than his last few for me but I've been luke-warm to it. That said, Pat's review is saying a lot of things I wanted to hear - especially regarding the additional POVs.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm actually more curious about the SF book. It sounds very different from his other works and sometimes the big shake-ups can produce the better works.

I think part 2 of the red sister books will have to wait for me - maybe for a promotional sale. I haven't been blown away by his books since the end of Thorns. Red Sister was better than his last few for me but I've been luke-warm to it. That said, Pat's review is saying a lot of things I wanted to hear - especially regarding the additional POVs.

There's a lot to love about Grey Sister. Better than Red Sister in every aspect. 

15 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

There's a lot to love about Grey Sister. Better than Red Sister in every aspect. 

In that case I certainly won't give up on the series just yet :)

I'm with @Lord Patrek Grey Sister is an improvement over Red Sister in every way... and I loved Red Sister.  Grey Sister is a fast read and does not bog down with an overlong "training montage."  I do like how the book opens up more mysteries and makes it hint as though the history of the world is even more complex than originally thought. 

Overall, a great read.

just read red sister, berry good i must say

but man, having Fist of the North Star-style absurdly huge muscle-men was something I had in my own personal i'll-write-it-someday fantasy novel.  Now, having absurdly giant muscley men will just look like I'm copying the Gerant!

Just finished Grey Sister berry good too.

Random speculation, comments and questions and such

Spoiler

So the epilogue implies someone got control of the Moon, right?  Since the Empire is apparently on fire, I'm guessing it was the Scithrowl warrior-queen chick.

So what are the Devils? I had thought that they were as Zole said - parts of the Missing that didn't get to ascend or whatever.  But then Koet said he was born in the ship-heart and Yisht was full of devils from it.  So are they not part of the Missing?

And what are the Missing anyway?  Aliens that ascended to a higher plane or even a pre-cursor human civilization that ascended?  Because the Ark controls the Moon, but the Shiphearts control the entrance to the Ark, and the Shiphearts seem to be Missing technology.  But the Moon was put there by the humans to heat the planet.  So if the Missing were Alien, the Tribes were able to readily understand and repurpose their technology. 

Seems likely that the Missing were another human civilization, the Tribes came to Abeoth for refuge, expecting to find people there, but they had all mysteriously disappeared.

Also disappointed Regol and Nona didn't bang.  Maybe next book.

Edited by Ajûrbkli

38 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

How are people reading this, amazon has it listed 17th May???

Came out in the US ahead of the UK.  Definitely odd these days.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

That is odd, been out here for a week or two. I thought it was out in the UK too.

it's out on audiobook as of today. I'm sure that counts for other copies?

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, Ajûrbkli said:

Just finished Grey Sister berry good too.

Random speculation, comments and questions and such

Hide contents

So the epilogue implies someone got control of the Moon, right?  Since the Empire is apparently on fire, I'm guessing it was the Scithrowl warrior-queen chick.

So what are the Devils? I had thought that they were as Zole said - parts of the Missing that didn't get to ascend or whatever.  But then Koet said he was born in the ship-heart and Yisht was full of devils from it.  So are they not part of the Missing?

And what are the Missing anyway?  Aliens that ascended to a higher plane or even a pre-cursor human civilization that ascended?  Because the Ark controls the Moon, but the Shiphearts control the entrance to the Ark, and the Shiphearts seem to be Missing technology.  But the Moon was put there by the humans to heat the planet.  So if the Missing were Alien, the Tribes were able to readily understand and repurpose their technology. 

Seems likely that the Missing were another human civilization, the Tribes came to Abeoth for refuge, expecting to find people there, but they had all mysteriously disappeared.

Also disappointed Regol and Nona didn't bang.  Maybe next book.

Have wanted to respond for a while, but just have not taken the time to.  You've got some great speculation here.

Spoiler

I do think you're right that someone has control of the moon now.  I wonder how long is between Grey Sister and Holy Sister.  In the epilogue of Red Sister, I remember there being much excitement among the Tacsis that Nona Grey had returned to Sweet Mercy.  Do we think that she does not return to the convent after the events at the end of GS?  I wonder how much of Holy Sister will bounce back and forth between a younger period and the events of the epilogues.

At one point, didn't Keot say that the shiphearts didn't bring humans to Abeth but that humans came to Abeth for the shiphearts?

I agree that the Missing are quite obviously the original inhabitants of Abeth and possibly humans as well.  No idea what the devils are.  Zole has now bought into the idea of her being the "Chosen One" and she has a devil of her own that will likely feed that impression.  We have yet to see any glimpse of her in the epilogue, so I don't know what her role will be in the third book.

I really like the setting of this world and am eager to see how many of the mysteries he wraps up in the third book and what he might leave for other works.  I know he has another novella set to be released (I think its novella length) that is set on the ice.  

On 4/18/2018 at 6:04 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Damn I'm only 60 pages in but this book is fucking off the chain.

Loved this book so much. Really can’t wait for the conclusion. 

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

Have wanted to respond for a while, but just have not taken the time to.  You've got some great speculation here.

Hide contents

I do think you're right that someone has control of the moon now.  I wonder how long is between Grey Sister and Holy Sister.  In the epilogue of Red Sister, I remember there being much excitement among the Tacsis that Nona Grey had returned to Sweet Mercy.  Do we think that she does not return to the convent after the events at the end of GS?  I wonder how much of Holy Sister will bounce back and forth between a younger period and the events of the epilogues.

At one point, didn't Keot say that the shiphearts didn't bring humans to Abeth but that humans came to Abeth for the shiphearts?

I agree that the Missing are quite obviously the original inhabitants of Abeth and possibly humans as well.  No idea what the devils are.  Zole has now bought into the idea of her being the "Chosen One" and she has a devil of her own that will likely feed that impression.  We have yet to see any glimpse of her in the epilogue, so I don't know what her role will be in the third book.

I really like the setting of this world and am eager to see how many of the mysteries he wraps up in the third book and what he might leave for other works.  I know he has another novella set to be released (I think its novella length) that is set on the ice.  

Spoiler

Someone that isn’t the Tacsis does seem to have the moon. Unless the world is burning just because of the Scithrowl invasion. 

I like the idea that the Missing are the first round of human settlers on Abeth.

Keot called the shipheart a corestone. I think that ties with the shiphearts having been created on Abeth. Some sort of energy source that in a galaxy full of dying stars would be invaluable. Invaluable enough to have future settlers come to Abeth to claim them.

Remember the corestone produced enough heat to warm all the buildings at Sweet Mercy. Maybe that’s foreshadowing that with enough shiphearts you could warm all of Abeth and not even need the moon. I think that could be a nice ending.

1 hour ago, unJon said:

Hide contents

Someone that isn’t the Tacsis does seem to have the moon. Unless the world is burning just because of the Scithrowl invasion. 

I like the idea that the Missing are the first round of human settlers on Abeth.

Keot called the shipheart a corestone. I think that ties with the shiphearts having been created on Abeth. Some sort of energy source that in a galaxy full of dying stars would be invaluable. Invaluable enough to have future settlers come to Abeth to claim them.

Remember the corestone produced enough heat to warm all the buildings at Sweet Mercy. Maybe that’s foreshadowing that with enough shiphearts you could warm all of Abeth and not even need the moon. I think that could be a nice ending.

RE: Your “nice ending”

Yes... but this is a Mark Lawrence book, so even if the world gets a happy ending; our characters likely won’t!

Well we already know

Spoiler

Pureblood Hunskas don't live long.  So even if everything ends hunky dory, Nona is gonna die of old age at like age 35 anyway.  

On 4/21/2018 at 5:49 PM, unJon said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It's Missing cities that have the Arks and ark stuff right? For me the implication is:

Four exodus ships powered by heartstones -> planet colonized -> damn it's cold -> moon created -> scientists controlling the moon go "missing" (as seen by the rest of bio-engineered colonisers)

since those stones seem to both inject memories AND create a "demon" matching personal character flaws and that seems to be some sort of virus linked to the character life energy or something... and that powerful magic has the same effect. hmm, I don't know.

I could see the missing having put themselves on a sort of stasis in the ship hearts waiting for their bio engeeniring on the peasants to produce someone capable of doing something with the energy flows, and some memories leaking through the stones energy in those tapping them... Stasis probably related to some chtulhuan horror trapped in the black ice. Who's to say the missing did not voluntarily narrow the moon beam to ice dangerous stuff, even? If the world is literally on fire in the present day, rather than metaphorically, it means the tech is there to beat the ice, maybe. But why would the girls and Lano care about Sweet Mercy in the present day if super tech was activated and mafe world take fire? probably metaphorical.

Anyway the read is fast and fun, and it's not that frequent.

I enjoyed Grey Sister more than Red so I'm happy. Things moved along at a nice pace and while things weren't made easy for Nona they weren't relishing her misery quite so much this time around (I'm still recalling the hand over the whole trial/candle scene from book one).

The world buidling seemed more expressive and encapsulating this time around. I particularly enjoyed the "before we get started" section which filled in a lot of blanks for me (which I presumedly missed the first time around) that got everything off to a nice start. There wasn't too much "harry potter" going on either and the training for the most part was quite fun. The grey sister challenge evoked fond memories of "lies of locke lamorra" which is never a bad thing.

The additional POVs really helped too.

Quick question. As i listened to the audiobook what is the name of Nona's blades? It sounds like "floor blades" which always had me thinking they were popping from her feet. Or were they "flaw blades"? Just something that bugged me while listening.

so this is still a triogy right? Feels like a lot needs to happen in the final part but I guess it could jump straight to the teases we've had in these books of the future.

I got the feeling that the man being sent in to take Nona dead or alive was the cage fighter guy (my memory is awful for names) which raises the question of "how did things go so wrong between them? Is Zole the one who under the influence of demons becomes the owner of the moon and is responsible for burning everything?

It's still a trilogy, but Lawrence signed a book deal for 3 more novels set in the same universe and is currently working on them.

And it's flaw blades, if I remember correctly.