AncalagonTheBlack

Red Sister by Mark Lawrence

22 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

It's still a trilogy, but Lawrence signed a book deal for 3 more novels set in the same universe and is currently working on them.

And it's flaw blades, if I remember correctly.

That's certainly better than floor blades.

Hopefully the sequel trilogy isn't running parallel to current events (although I guess it very much depends how this one ends) as I'd certainly like to see more of the world but not in a "this is sort of the B-plot" which is hard to escape if it's happening in the background of the current story.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

That's certainly better than floor blades.

Hopefully the sequel trilogy isn't running parallel to current events (although I guess it very much depends how this one ends) as I'd certainly like to see more of the world but not in a "this is sort of the B-plot" which is hard to escape if it's happening in the background of the current story.

Kinda what happened with Red Queen’s War in some ways.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Kinda what happened with Red Queen’s War in some ways.

Yeah, that's why I'm hoping he'll mix it up a bit this time. To be fair he hasn't really repeated himself with any of his trilogies yet. But I guess if this series ends with everything burning he might have no choice but to do a prequel/parallel story :)

While the fate of the Queen's War characters were unknown I feel that series had quite a bit of wind knocked out of it by the fact we knew the previous trilogy had the culmination of events in it. Although I guess the events that took place were almost as important. I guess it's a reader thing - if you can get caught up in the story it doesn't really matter.

I know Mark says he never plans his books ahead so we'll just have to wait and see. You'd think this series must have some loose planning but I guess even the future segments give him enough leeway to change course depending on what inspires him at the time of writing.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:34 PM, red snow said:

Quick question. As i listened to the audiobook what is the name of Nona's blades? It sounds like "floor blades" which always had me thinking they were popping from her feet. Or were they "flaw blades"? Just something that bugged me while listening.

Hide contents

I got the feeling that the man being sent in to take Nona dead or alive was the cage fighter guy (my memory is awful for names) which raises the question of "how did things go so wrong between them? Is Zole the one who under the influence of demons becomes the owner of the moon and is responsible for burning everything?

Correct in that they are "flaw" blades. 

As far as your spoilers:

Spoiler

The dead or alive group/main person was not the cage fighter (unless that is a twist for the next book), it being commanded by the the Tascis surviving son, Lanos, who was partially trained by the Noi-Guin. The assassins being sent after Cage/Nona is the Noi-Guin and the "singular" (the main baddy being sent after Nora), or the head of the Noi-Guin, which we haven't met before. However, Clera is still there, so maybe you were getting her confused with the cage fighter?

Zole being responsible for burning the world would be a fun "careful of the shipheart power" lesson.

I actually chewed through Red/Grey sister very fast. Loved the world building, even if some of Red Sister was a bit training-heavy, and had a few annoyances that others brought up (not notifying the Abbess of the shipheart being stolten is the big one). A liiiiiiiiiitle bit of deux-ex pops up every now and then, but overall it was super enjoyable.

The changes of who is the "chosen one" back and forth was a fun straying from what I expected in a more "standard" fantasy progression story (that we meet our "heroes" and "chosen ones" right up front).

I want a scene of Tarkis Spear Thrower dude going ham, which was sadly missed (goddamnit Clera!).

Teaser for Holy Sister.

I'll put it in spoilers since this thread is still technically for book one.  :lol: 

Spoiler

“Nona scanned the forces arrayed before her. She felt her devils moving beneath her habit, their voices crying out for blood, and she found herself in agreement. The Book of the Ancestor says that for everything there is a season. This was a time to reap. A time for death. A time to die.“

This is probably my most anticipated book.  Pre-orders are up on Amazon as well.  Set to release in the US on April 9, 2019.

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

Teaser for Holy Sister.

I'll put it in spoilers since this thread is still technically for book one.  :lol: 

Hide contents

“Nona scanned the forces arrayed before her. She felt her devils moving beneath her habit, their voices crying out for blood, and she found herself in agreement. The Book of the Ancestor says that for everything there is a season. This was a time to reap. A time for death. A time to die.“

This is probably my most anticipated book.  Pre-orders are up on Amazon as well.  Set to release in the US on April 9, 2019.

Nice! Just preordered the Kindle version.