NFL Offseason: What's a Chris Collins Worth?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

I just read that Todd Heap accidently struck and killed his 3 year old daughter while moving his truck in the driveway. That is beyond horrible and truly every parent's worst nightmare. Damn.

The only thing I thought of when reading the Eli headline was hearing all the Pats fans whine about how nothing is gonna happen to him, and all that. I then got disgusted with myself that that was the first thing to pop into my head. Fucking Pats fans. I had one at work come up to me the other day and start bitching that Gronk was at Wrestlemania and that he could've played in the Super Bowl. 

Reports are coming in that Hernandez has committed suicide in prison.

Dont know that I have anything witty to add and sympathy certainly doesn't seem right.  Closes this chapter in a bizarre, bizarre tale.

44 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Dont know that I have anything witty to add and sympathy certainly doesn't seem right.  Closes this chapter in a bizarre, bizarre tale.

Ugly end to an ugly story. This guy had the world on a platter and fucked it all up because of some stupid shit. I hope the loved ones of all the victims (including the people he was acquitted of killing) find some peace.

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

Probably not what he was thinking about, but it was one last shitty thing to do to Odin Llyod's family.

The chief legal counsel to the Massachusetts Bar Association tells the Boston Globe that Aaron Hernandez’s murder conviction over the 2014 shooting death of Odin Lloyd will be voided after the former New England Patriots star was found dead in his prison cell early Wednesday morning.

Hernandez was in the process of appealing his conviction at the time of his death. Because of a long-standing legal principle called “abatement ab initio” — meaning “from the beginning” — a person’s case reverts to its status at the beginning if they die before their legal appeals are exhausted.

“Its effect is to stop all proceedings ab initio (from the beginning) and render the defendant as if he or she had never been charged,” Timothy A. Razel wrote in a 2007 Fordham Law Review article about the principle.

Said Martin W. Healy of the Massachusetts Bar Association: “Unfortunately, in the Odin Lloyd matter, for the family, there won’t be any real closure. Aaron Hernandez will go to his death an innocent man.”

As Razel notes, the principle of “abatement ab initio” was most famously used during the Enron case earlier this century. Kenneth Lay, the former president of the energy company, was found guilty of 10 federal fraud-related charges in 2006 following a scheme in which the company conspired to hide its losses from its stockholders, who lost hundreds of millions of dollars when the company went bankrupt. Lay was expected to be forced to provide restitution to the stockholders when he was sentenced in October 2006, but he died of a heart attack three months before his sentencing. Over protests from federal attorneys, the judge in the case erased Lay’s conviction, citing federal court precedent.

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Ugly end to an ugly story. This guy had the world on a platter and fucked it all up because of some stupid shit. I hope the loved ones of all the victims (including the people he was acquitted of killing) find some peace.

Pretty karmic though, at least. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, and all that.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Pretty karmic though, at least. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, and all that.

I guess. It's hard for me to muster anything but sadness at this story. According to stories I've read, Hernandez went off the rails when his dad died while he was in high school. Nothing excuses what he did obviously, and he seems to have been a remorseless killer and a cold, calculating snake of a human, so the world is probably better off. But I'll always feel some amount of sympathy for sons who lost their dads too early.

19 minutes ago, Fez said:

Probably not what he was thinking about, but it was one last shitty thing to do to Odin Llyod's family.

I know nothing of the law so just asking...

So, this would then make any civil trial harder for Odins family as well, since now he wasn't found guilty of the crime?

Would Hernandez's family now be able to go back after his contract money from NFL?

Again, I KNOW nothing about this so I don't need any snarky responses about basic legal stuff

After the lawyers took their fees, I doubt Hernandez had much to give to Lloyd's estate anyway. Never understood how criminal defense attorneys for the wealthy can sleep at night. And I say this as a member of the bar.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

After the lawyers took their fees, I doubt Hernandez had much to give to Lloyd's estate anyway. Never understood how criminal defense attorneys for the wealthy can sleep at night. And I say this as a member of the bar.

Mattresses full of cash can be very comfortable.

19 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I guess. It's hard for me to muster anything but sadness at this story. According to stories I've read, Hernandez went off the rails when his dad died while he was in high school. Nothing excuses what he did obviously, and he seems to have been a remorseless killer and a cold, calculating snake of a human, so the world is probably better off. But I'll always feel some amount of sympathy for sons who lost their dads too early.

Yeah, I get that. I guess my lasting impressions of him were the ones in court where he was basically sneering at the camera, and playing the unrepentant badass. 

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Would Hernandez's family now be able to go back after his contract money from NFL?

That is an interesting question. I found this article which suggests that they will at least try:

In June 2013, the Patriots withheld $3.25 million of Hernandez’s signing bonus. They also refused to pay him his $2.5 million in his guaranteed base salary. New England cited the collective bargaining agreement as their reason for withholding that guaranteed money. That’s the money Hernandez’s lawyers will likely pursue.

If you accept that in the eyes of the law, he died an innocent man (an assumption that stretches plausibility, but it seems that this is how the law is written), then it's hard to see a reason why his estate should not have that money.

In case things like the heavy military presence, the zero tolerance for drugs but okie-dokie with domestic abuse until caught on film, the Kaepernick situation, the climate er I mean head injury denial et al were' enough of a tell, NFL owners are very politically active for the Republicans. For example they were the greatest contributors to Donald Trump's $75 million inauguration, with 8 owners alone accounting for $7.25 million for the gala. 

Meanwhile, I have the Colts (generously) going 8-8. And that's assuming Luck is full-go by game one. Could win this crap division, but I'd rather they didn't. In fact, I'd much prefer a 5-11 type season so long as Ballard didn't go full Chieftard and hire Dave Toub. A nice draft pick and a chance for a team I'll actually watch on Hard Knocks is all I ask. 

James, did you not know that? 

I think it's becoming pretty clear that Hernandez killed himself for financial reasons. Also, in the age of fake news, I'm not sure if this true or not, but it is what it is:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/aaron-hernandez-left-note-gay-prison-lover-report-article-1.3085443

Archived