NFL Offseason: What's a Chris Collins Worth?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

That's how I am prioritizing it also. I'd like a steal in the late rounds, which happens a lot at WR. I like taking RB in the 2nd, I don't care for any of our current options.

Thompson can play, and Rob Kelley could get better.  If he got more consistent, he's good enough to be our starter.  The problem is it's just so frustrating to have such a good passing attack and such a good O line and still have the running game be stuck in neutral.  Real wasted opportunity. 

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Thompson can play, and Rob Kelley could get better.  If he got more consistent, he's good enough to be our starter.  The problem is it's just so frustrating to have such a good passing attack and such a good O line and still have the running game be stuck in neutral.  Real wasted opportunity. 

Thompson can play, but not as an every down back. I don't like Kelley. Too tall and runs straight up. Seems like he takes a minute to hit the hole. I'd like to see us a grab a physical back that has good agility. I really like Kamara from Tennessee and I think he'll be around in round 2.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

http://blog.archive.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/dewey.jpg

/The fat lady may be warming up, but there's still time for them to Browns this up

AND!  It doesn't kill the dream of them trading up to 2 for Trubisky.

Now... how do we convince them that the Bears really want a QB???

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

AND!  It doesn't kill the dream of them trading up to 2 for Trubisky.

Now... how do we convince them that the Bears really want a QB???

It doesn't, but it's possible that their interest in Trubisky was entirely manufactured to give credence to the "Trubisky at #1" rumor.  The Browns could very realistically sit tight at 12, and if Trubisky is gone by then, wait till next year to draft a quarterback.  If you are committed to Moneyball NFL drafting, trading up is almost always a bad call.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

"Multiple sources" now saying that Browns will take Garrett.

Ah well... the dream was fun while it lasted.  :crying: 

Shocking that a bunch of Harvard guys would make the smart decision and pick the generational defensive prospect who is clearly on a tier above everyone else.  

I think the only guy who might have had a shot at winning the spot over Garrett was Allen, and that was before the news of his arthritis came out.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

It doesn't, but it's possible that their interest in Trubisky was entirely manufactured to give credence to the "Trubisky at #1" rumor.  The Browns could very realistically sit tight at 12, and if Trubisky is gone by then, wait till next year to draft a quarterback.  If you are committed to Moneyball NFL drafting, trading up is almost always a bad call.

Not sure what benefit you get by making it seem like you value Trubisky more than you do.  Would think that they'd be spreading rumors that he gave an entire sorority herpes or something to make him fall back to #12.  :dunno:

Just now, briantw said:

Shocking that a bunch of Harvard guys would make the smart decision and pick the generational defensive prospect who is clearly on a tier above everyone else.

They still work for the Browns organization don't they?

Ah draft day, almost as magical as opening weekend... :love:

- The Browns stuff HAS to be them trying to get a desperate QB needy team to back up the Brinks truck with draft picks, right? Though considering they are at #1 with a potential generational pass rusher sitting there you would think they have to get more than what Skins/Rams/Eagles gave up in recent year.

- This is an interesting draft because unlike most of the recent drafts, it's a really weak o-line class. On the other hand, it's a huge draft for TE's and RB's and there should be several taken in the first 3 rounds.

- That brings me to my Beloved Cowboys. I'm hoping there will be the annual reach4QBs  and so along with TE's and RB's going early it may push some of the defensive talent to them at pick #28. Defensive end is again a top need but so is corner and to a lesser extent safety. They lost CB's Carr and Claiborne and safeties Church and Wilcox. Depending on how the board stacks up, they could go corner with the first pick instead of end. Depending on who it is and who is still available, I might be all for it. Dallas routinely picks players it has invited to Dallas for private workouts. The only 1st rounder in the past several years that they picked but hadn't brought in for a workout was Claiborne in the 2012 draft. A list of players that they have had come in this year and might be there at #28 are: Defensive Ends Taco Charlton, Derek Barnett, Charles Harris, Takk McKinley,  and TJ(yes, HIS little brother)Watt and corners Kevin King, Marlon Humphries, Adoree Jackson, Teez Tabor, and Tre'Davious White. Safety is a possibility in the first but I'd be kinda shocked if they went that way. Jeff Heath will be a decent replacement for Church for the short-term and I hope Dallas looks the mid-rounds for a safety. As far as the list above, I'd like Barnett but I seriously doubt he lasts that long. I'm kinda rooting for Kevin King to be the pick because he's a huge corner and Dallas really hasn't had one of those. The guy I've sort of soured on is Taco Charlton. From what I've read he's neither fast nor does he have that "quick twitch" that defensive coordinators crave.

All in all this should be an interesting night. The mock drafts have been all over the place even more than usual. There seems to be no consensus beyond pick 1 who is going where. 

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Not sure what benefit you get by making it seem like you value Trubisky more than you do.  Would think that they'd be spreading rumors that he gave an entire sorority herpes or something to make him fall back to #12.  :dunno:

I think they were just going on the assumption that they might want to trade out of #1 (or at least have teams making offers for it), and teams never trade up to #1 for a pass rusher, even for great prospects like Miller and Clowney.  But for quarterbacks they do it all the time.  So if the Browns wanted to gin up interest in the #1 pick, they figured they'd need to convince people that if you want the #1 quarterback on the Board, that you need to go to #1. 

Nobody fell for it, because none of the quarterbacks are that good.  So they are just going to do the obvious and take Garrett.  Whether they actually want Trubisky or were pretending remains to be seen.

5 minutes ago, Trebla said:

- The Browns stuff HAS to be them trying to get a desperate QB needy team to back up the Brinks truck with draft picks, right? Though considering they are at #1 with a potential generational pass rusher sitting there you would think they have to get more than what Skins/Rams/Eagles gave up in recent year.

Seems like pretty standard misdirection to me.  You never want other teams to know exactly what you're planning to do because that gives them a disadvantage.  You feed different info to different people and create confusion as to what you're going to do.  Most sports teams do this to various extents.  

I still remember when fans were tracking Dan Gilbert's plane when he flew to Miami to speak privately with LeBron and Gilbert flat out lied about it on Twitter.  That was brilliant.

2 minutes ago, Trebla said:

The guy I've sort of soured on is Taco Charlton. From what I've read he's neither fast nor does he have that "quick twitch" that defensive coordinators crave.

Yeah, but he more than makes up for it with that tangy salsa and creamy guac that scream excelente to discerning tastebuds everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, but he more than makes up for it with that tangy salsa and creamy guac that scream excelente to discerning tastebuds everywhere.

But are his pass rush skills muy caliente ???

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Personally I hate red zone. When I watch a game I scan the entire field or tv screen to see what the def is doing, are they sliding left or right on the line, did the QB audible and if so did the def react to it etc. If I didn't have that stuff to watch, the experience wouldn't be nearly the same.

Yeah I don't use it very often either for those reasons, but lately it has become very popular.

Also, there's a dude named Taco in this draft? 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah I don't use it very often either for those reasons, but lately it has become very popular.

Also, there's a dude named Taco in this draft? 

Yeah, but he's not even my favorite athlete named Taco right now.

That honor goes to Tacko Fall

Awesome!

Man tonight's gonna suck for me. We don't have a pick and now I have to except that we used two first round picks on QBs in the last three years. One blew his knee out and is probably finished and the other is walking ACL/MCL tear waiting to happen. 

Swear words. All the swear words! 

Archived