NFL Offseason: What's a Chris Collins Worth?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Reports are out that a top 10 talent at cornerback has been accused of rape. No charges filed, still under investigation. Let the speculation about validity and rumors fly. He has been named but it's still in the investigation stage as of now. 

11 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Reports are out that a top 10 talent at cornerback has been accused of rape. No charges filed, still under investigation. Let the speculation about validity and rumors fly. He has been named but it's still in the investigation stage as of now. 

TMZ has reported it is tOSU's Gareon Conley.

Look at what merely being involved with a murder investigation did to Collins.  Hard to imagine Conley gets drafted if there is any appearance of legitimacy to the girl's claims. 

ETA: Just looked at the specifics and what the f*** is the world coming to.  Invite the girl, who you met in an elevator, for a foursome, she declines but offers to watch two of the potential foursome have sex in a hotel bathroom.  Hell of a story.  

53 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Look at what merely being involved with a murder investigation did to Collins.  Hard to imagine Conley gets drafted if there is any appearance of legitimacy to the girl's claims. 

ETA: Just looked at the specifics and what the f*** is the world coming to.  Invite the girl, who you met in an elevator, for a foursome, she declines but offers to watch two of the potential foursome have sex in a hotel bathroom.  Hell of a story.  

Even if he's innocent I  wouldn't draft him. You got to be dumb as hell to do that.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Even if he's innocent I  wouldn't draft him. You got to be dumb as hell to do that.

It's weird.  On one hand, part of me thinks it has to be fabricated, because who does that!?!  On the other hand, part of me thinks it has to be real because who the hell would construct that as the lie!?!

Its pretty stunning how quickly the end is coming for ESPN. This is the price they pay for having their business model be entirely reliant on cable carriage fees in an era when people are cutting their cords. Their advertising revenue only covers a fraction of what they're paying for live sports broadcasting rights.

14 minutes ago, Fez said:

Its pretty stunning how quickly the end is coming for ESPN. This is the price they pay for having their business model be entirely reliant on cable carriage fees in an era when people are cutting their cords. Their advertising revenue only covers a fraction of what they're paying for live sports broadcasting rights.

I think its exacerbated by their insistence in interjecting politics into nearly everything they do.  I think many people in this country are feeling political fatigue in the last year and sports is where they want to go to escape.  ESPN has increasingly become a place that does not allow that escape.

Throw on top of that the fact that much of their audience likely leans in the opposite direction from the on air leanings and you start to see a real disconnect.  I know that has been a recurring theme I have seen in my social media feeds.

Deadspin has a running list.

Interestingly, they say that the Hollywood Reporter says that Karl Ravech, Ryen Russillo, and Hannah Storm are having their roles "significantly reduced."  I thought Russillo was a rising star for the ESPN Radio side and I don't know that I've seen Storm on much lately.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think its exacerbated by their insistence in interjecting politics into nearly everything they do.  I think many people in this country are feeling political fatigue in the last year and sports is where they want to go to escape.  ESPN has increasingly become a place that does not allow that escape.

Throw on top of that the fact that much of their audience likely leans in the opposite direction from the on air leanings and you start to see a real disconnect.  I know that has been a recurring theme I have seen in my social media feeds.

I'm going to guess it's mostly white men complaining that politics is intruding on their sports? Because that's what I see in my feeds.

The luxury of thinking that there are some things that aren't affected by politics! Poor snowflakes losing their safe space.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm going to guess it's mostly white men complaining that politics is intruding on their sports? Because that's what I see in my feeds.

The luxury of thinking that there are some things that aren't affected by politics! Poor snowflakes losing their safe space.

Yes, but I can't say that I blame them.  I find myself rolling my eyes at it as well.

ESPN has moved from content driven coverage to personality driven coverage as evidenced by the ridiculousness of the aforementioned SC6.  I would argue that by going for the demographic that appeals to, you are targeting the cord cutters.  Go for the grumpy white men you mention and you will have people who are more likely to be your subscribers.

Even that misses the complexity of the argument over forced subscription fees that leads to much of their problems though.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I think it's also that they've essentially become TMZ, which is something I have no interest in, and even less interest if my goal is to catch up on the day in sports.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Rhom

I think you're conflating politics with race. ESPN tries to avoid talking about politics, but it can't with race. Sports and race are intertwined. 

A lot of people seem to think treating non-whites and gay people with dignity is "political." Even if it is politics, though, the idea that that is what's hurting them is laughable. They were asleep at the wheel thinking their ridiculous cable television model was going to last forever, and they overestimated their future revenue potential and overbid on live sporting properties. They can't do anything about those long-term league contracts, and they've already cut the back office space to bare bones levels. They got fat on an unsustainable business model, and they're having to go lean in a hurry.

I live in Oklahoma, where pretty much everything is the oil and gas business, and the same things happen. When times are good, like 5 years ago, these companies fatten up. And there's a good reason for it, as every company is flush with cash and needs to expand to capitalize on high prices, so they get into bidding wars for talent. But it goes past it's logical extreme.  My old roommate at the time was a perfect example. Great dude, and capable worker, but he was in a non-engineering role with a fortune 100 player in the industry, was 27 years old and making $90k a year working 40 hours a week, and getting a golf membership paid for. Those numbers don't add up when the price of oil cuts in half.  Exxon went from 486 billion in revenue in 2012 to 246 billion in 2016.  ESPN is suffering the exact same type of thing.

Archived