Question for show watchers and book readers.

Grover Bluejoy

I read an interview with Martin a few years back saying that he preferred Bronn and Osha in the show versus them in his is own books.

Which characters do you prefer the show version of?

For me, I'd have to say Oberyn. Maybe it's because I haven't read the books in a while (currently started my re-read and am only about 200 pages into book one) but I don't remember him being quite as lively in the text as Pascal was on the show.

I have mixed feelings on this about The Hound though. I enjoy him just as much in the books as in the show, but here are some classic Hound scenes and lines in the shows that aren't in the books. One of them being where he and Arya are outside the inn where they run into Poliver and his crew, and then the ensuing dialogue when Poliver comes over to talk to them.

I prefer Sansa in the show, she just seems to be a better developed character to me.  Others I prefer in the show include ;

1. Bronn, a little more charming in the show and yet still world weary and wise
  2. Varys, more earnest and dedicated to the Realm as an entity
  3. Brienne, I don't know, just the beau ideal of a Knight
  4. Pod, a more developed character.

Bronn, Varys, Margaery, Yoren, Oberyn, Tywin, Syrio, Ramsay, Robert basically the best casting choices they made. All those actors just slayed. 

Then Jorah is slightly better too because looks less... you know... more... just better. Pod is also a good one, the show made him memorable. I guess that's all...

*unpopular opinion alert* I thought Lena was a terrible Cersei from day 1. She is certainly a good actress but I don't like what the show did with the Cersei character and maybe Lena was good cast for that, but she was certainly a terrible cast for the actual book Cersei. 

Some of these I could go either way with, like Tyrion for example, but he had a few moments in the books where I thought "He's kind of a dick!" that I didn't have when watching the show. I do agree with some of these other choices like Pod and Margery.

I think Lena is great as Cersei, but I feel with her scheming in "A Feast for Crows" made book Cersei way more inept that show Cersei.

One of the biggest issues I have with the show is the lack of development of the religions until this most recent season, but that's an entirely separate discussion.

On 6/4/2017 at 6:16 PM, Grover Bluejoy said:

Which characters do you prefer the show version of?

Cat. This scene, made me understanding her much more than her PoVs.

On 8/4/2017 at 3:22 PM, RhaenysB said:

I thought Lena was a terrible Cersei from day 1.

Agree, I don't like the smirking she always have. 

On 4/8/2017 at 6:22 AM, RhaenysB said:

*unpopular opinion alert* I thought Lena was a terrible Cersei from day 1. She is certainly a good actress but I don't like what the show did with the Cersei character and maybe Lena was good cast for that, but she was certainly a terrible cast for the actual book Cersei. 

Agreed. Show Cersei is a bit less over-the-top than in the books but much less entertaining because of that. Lena plays her so restrained and sedated, a lot of her scenes are a bore. Book Cersei might be a cartoon villain but one thing she ain't is boring.

6 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Agreed. Show Cersei is a bit less over-the-top than in the books but much less entertaining because of that. Lena plays her so restrained and sedated, a lot of her scenes are a bore. Book Cersei might be a cartoon villain but one thing she ain't is boring.

Yes, yes, agreed. Lena always has this sour expression on her, it's unattractive and boring. It doesn't channel seductress Cersei or schemer Cersei either it's just sour depressed Hollywood housewife Cersei. In fact Lena's Cersei reminds me of this passage from Harry Potter:

You know your mother, Malfoy? [...] that expression she's got, like she's got dung under her nose? Has she always looked like that, or was it just because you were with her?

9 minutes ago, Pink Fat Rast said:

lot of the time, far from always - and "housewife" isn't really the vibe here, more like Hollywood sour queen if anything..

The point is not the housewife. It's the sourness. Queen or housewife, doesn't matter. 

Archived