Smaller Things Even Less Worthy of a Thread of Their Own

Datepalm

Can I just say that it really annoys me when my husband (i) tells my children to "yum up" their breakfasts, (ii) describes houses as "homes" and (iii) tells my children to eat their "meal" (rather than specifying either b'fast/lunch/dinner and/or, even more preferably, the thing on the plate that they are supposed to be eating).  That is all.

Got into a FB argument about mansplaining which included the below, which I repost in full in order to share the true magnitude of its glory:

"[Man]: You obviously dont know much about [men who "think of feminism as cancer"] then. Most of them actually support equality, they just see the form of feminism you're supporting as a threat to them (rightfully so). Im not sure if you can call yourself left wing or progressive with the acidic opinions you've spouted above. Seems contradictory. And men dont do [mansplaining] anymore,and dont use here as an example that's ridiculous, no one's stopping women from being here, no one's stopping people debating or whatever"

20 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I will agree that the phrase "yum up" should never be used by anyone. Ever. I prefer the far more elegant "scarf down".  

Scarf down at least gets the direction of travel right.

I woke up at between 3am and 4am, couldn't get back to sleep, and at 7am remembered I have a psych appointment this afternoon, whichmakes travelling to the office a bit daft.  As a result I'm working in bed. This is nice on a day when I have almost no energy.

3 hours ago, Datepalm said:

....you're not nice enough to call yourself a leftist? Is that the argument?

Insufficient flowers, hearts and Kumbaya for a leftist woman, was the subtext I suspect. This was in the context of an OP from a man complaining about how the fact that someone called him a mansplainer was symptomatic of the fact that "our side has lost the fucking plot", and then complaining in the very next paragraph about having to walk on eggshells in order to not offend people and how this was also destroying the left.  I pointed out that complaining about being offended by being called a mansplainer and then demanding the right to offend other people in the same breath was hypocritical and that maybe he should toughen up a bit (if you're such a delicate flower that someone calling you a mansplainer on the internet has you throwing your hands up in despair of the entire leftist movement...) and then this other dude jumped in and told me I was being insensitive to Dude A's hurt feelings about not being allowed to offend other people. Ah, Facebook political groups :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I will agree that the phrase "yum up" should never be used by anyone. Ever. I prefer the far more elegant "scarf down".  

Funny but I tend to use 'snarf down'. But the I have never been accused of being elegant.

had a totally weird conversation with a friend i hadnt seen in a couple years when we caught up last night; she's always been quite frank with mental health which i appreciate and she mentioned how she felt like her life was a documentary with other people watching and i was like W.T.F because ive been feeling this since i was a kid i routinely, often and still today imagine theres a big tv screen or a crystal ball that a group of people (sometimes i imagine different, specific people, sometimes just no one in particular) looking through it and watching my life and it makes me hyper aware of myself and what im doing and how i could possible be perceived at any given moment, doing the dishes, walking my dog, i imagine a group of people watching me and i think what anyone perceiving me would think and i try to make sure my behaviour is totally appropriate and not embarrassing or weird - i only get this when im by myself and i do like my own company but i also just thought it was some weird lil personal quirk because i care too much what other people think of me - every time i post anything on facebook i run through my head of what a whole host of particular people would think of me for posting it and how im coming across and if it's too weird or pathetic or embarrassing or annoying and it was just so freakin weird to hear her describe this very, specific thing that i have experienced since i was a kid...just bizarre...

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

had a totally weird conversation with a friend i hadnt seen in a couple years when we caught up last night; she's always been quite frank with mental health which i appreciate and she mentioned how she felt like her life was a documentary with other people watching and i was like W.T.F because ive been feeling this since i was a kid i routinely, often and still today imagine theres a big tv screen or a crystal ball that a group of people (sometimes i imagine different, specific people, sometimes just no one in particular) looking through it and watching my life and it makes me hyper aware of myself and what im doing and how i could possible be perceived at any given moment, doing the dishes, walking my dog, i imagine a group of people watching me and i think what anyone perceiving me would think and i try to make sure my behaviour is totally appropriate and not embarrassing or weird - i only get this when im by myself and i do like my own company but i also just thought it was some weird lil personal quirk because i care too much what other people think of me - every time i post anything on facebook i run through my head of what a whole host of particular people would think of me for posting it and how im coming across and if it's too weird or pathetic or embarrassing or annoying and it was just so freakin weird to hear her describe this very, specific thing that i have experienced since i was a kid...just bizarre...

It's probably a lot more common than people think. I've had similar thoughts/experiences.

I also talk to myself a lot, sometimes out loud if I'm alone, and explain things to myself as if I were teaching them to a second person. I used to be super self conscious about it because I thought I was crazy, but I've just come to accept it. It's helpful for me when I'm trying to understand something complicated. I have read that trying to teach someone else how to do something is the best way to learn it yourself, so I guess this is the same principal but without another person actually being involved. I've also since come to learn that talking to yourself is actually a lot more common than I would have thought too. So I guess I'm not a total freak after all :lol: 

1 hour ago, zelticgar said:

What exactly is the difference between a hampster and a gerbil?

Hamsters will tend to fight each other, whereas gerbils like to be in a group. Hamsters are mostly nocturnal while gerbils are mostly active during the day.

So at the age of 42 I'm still mistaken sometimes for someone much younger, people will guess my age to be 18 or 19, ask if I'm still in school, I still get carded.

I find this amusing.

On 4/29/2017 at 4:44 PM, williamjm said:

Hamsters will tend to fight each other, whereas gerbils like to be in a group. Hamsters are mostly nocturnal while gerbils are mostly active during the day.

A friend of mine got their daughter two gerbils, and one of the cannibalized the other ones face off.

4 hours ago, Swordfish said:

A friend of mine got their daughter two gerbils, and one of the cannibalized the other ones face off.

They're aggressive when they don't know each other.  Littermates or gerbils who have otherwise known each other from a very young age get on fine.  They are social by inclination.

I am at the stage of a new antidepressant where I can't tell whether the drug or its dosage is working.  My keel appears to be evening out, which is what I really want to achieve, so, yay?

Archived