Smaller Things Even Less Worthy of a Thread of Their Own

Datepalm

When cross country moving, and you're not rich, is it better to sell what won't fit in the car and start anew or better to pay the very expensive cost of moving it all, plus storage fees on the other end due to staying with friends for a few months while house hunting.

9 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

When cross country moving, and you're not rich, is it better to sell what won't fit in the car and start anew or better to pay the very expensive cost of moving it all, plus storage fees on the other end due to staying with friends for a few months while house hunting.

How attached are you to the stuff that won't fit in your car?

Also, have you considered the U-Haul option? That's what I did when I made my move here to Omaha years ago when I was still definitely "not rich." Although I didn't have your storage fee problem, since I had already rented my apartment before I showed up here with my stuff.

9 minutes ago, Ormond said:

How attached are you to the stuff that won't fit in your car?

Also, have you considered the U-Haul option? That's what I did when I made my move here to Omaha years ago when I was still definitely "not rich." Although I didn't have your storage fee problem, since I had already rented my apartment before I showed up here with my stuff.

I've thought about uhaul, both pulling a trailer or a big truck and pulling my minivan.  It's quite costly compared to the furniture I have now.  I'm not attached to any of it.  The only attachment I have is to stuff that will fit in my car if I pack well. 

Which I guess answers my question.  Sell the stuff that won't fit in my car.  Thanks!

You might still consider a small trailer.  Any mini van would have the horsepower to pull a 6 or 8ft trailer with a bumper mounted tow hitch.  And trailers are considerably cheaper to rent than vans.

17 minutes ago, The Mance said:

You might still consider a small trailer.  Any mini van would have the horsepower to pull a 6 or 8ft trailer with a bumper mounted tow hitch.  And trailers are considerably cheaper to rent than vans.

I've considered and have priced it as well.  Factoring in the cost of having a mounted hitch installed is what gives me pause.  I don't currently have any need for a hitch so it sort of felt like a waste.  But maybe a hitch could prove to be more useable and versatile than I am currently thinking?

Well many vehicles that have the power to pull a trailer will have holes in the rear bumper that can receive just a ball hitch suitable for lighter loads than you could tow with the full undermount towing assembly.  Look on your rear bumper for a capped hole or holes in the top surface of the bumper, probably about 2 or so inches in diameter.  They'd be roughly centered or to one side or the other of your licence plate.  Or, even better, check your owners manual for a section on towing, as the ball mounting points may less conspicuous on newer vehicles than I'm used.  

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

This is an interesting article on Purdue Pharma, the family who own it and the development and marketing of oxycontin and it's consequences for opioid addiction.

Good read... I've followed the Purdue story over the years so most of it wasn't news... but very interesting to see that they're now targeting untapped markets abroad (with varying levels of regulation) now that they've "plateaued" in their initial market.

On 11/1/2017 at 2:51 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Brought to you by plastics, from your not so friendly, Powerade. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article181970406.html?ref=yfp

And that's just the bigger plastic waste.  I heard a piece on NPR this summer about microplastics and how we've only begun to encounter the tip of ice berg, with microplastics from clothing getting into water supplies and basically acting as sponges for heavy metals and other toxins, allowing them to reach much higher concentrations than they could in water on its own.  

Anybody ever worked night shifts and been pregnant?  Which is more tiring?  Settle an argument as to whether i should have to give lifts to the station at 0830 when i get home from work (i'm going to do it anyway, i just want to be proven correct). 

Its a source of amazement that people out there are still willing to engage in risky behavior that could potentially expose them to Fentanyl when there have been article after article and widespread publicity over these overdoses and its not a secret that Fentanyl is up to 50 times more potent than Heroin. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article184877098.html?ref=yfp

In this latest case reported in the Miami Herald the middle aged man fatally overdosed, then his poor Senior Citizen mother ended up fatally overdoseing just from the skin exposure or breathing the poison while cleaning up the mess the son made when he overdosed. 

Fentanyl is so poisonous its killing people just cleaning it up. You can be exposed to it from breathing or even absorbed into your system just touching the poison!!

Just Stop already people, just stop, smh.

On August 15, 2017 at 0:53 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Majestic rare white Moose-

So apparently this Moose has captured quite a following now with Swedes. Allowing a large petition to spare the Moose from hunters. https://www.yahoo.com/news/rare-white-moose-saved-hunters-151349018.html

It will be free to roam the woodlands.

Today, my daughter was watching Nine Lives, a kids movie about cats that happens to have Kevin Spacey in it as a main character.  I don't want her to watch it, but I'm also not thrilled that I have to explain why I don't want her to watch it.

Archived