Smaller Things Even Less Worthy of a Thread of Their Own

Datepalm

I probably haven't eaten bologna in 15 years, but it with a piece of cheese was my favorite childhood snack, so I decided to get some yesterday to eat while watching football. Never again! What I've done to my work bathroom should be considered a war crime under the Geneva Conventions.

Sad day. One of my favorite radio shows, The Right Time with Bomani Jones, had it last episode yesterday (technically there will be a few more episodes, but not with Bo). The upside is this happened because he’s getting a T.V. show, but it’s being aired in the middle of the day so I’ll only get to see it once in a blue moon. Hopefully ESPN plays the audio from it in a podcast like they do with some of their other shows.

Confession:. I am heavily biased against board users that do not have avatars.  I see that weird light silhouette against the darker background and i develop a compulsion to argue with them and get angry and resort to fallacious and disingenuous terms of engagement.  It starts as a tension in the shoulders and a quivering anxiety in the sinuses, and is finally released in a torrent of thumb spasms that peck out a response on my embattled phone.

So I'd like to offer my services as an avatar selection coach.  Tell me what you want to project to the board and I'll send you a few to choose from. Maybe you'll be inspired to search the web and select your own or even create one in mspaint or Photoshop elements or some shit.

Happy holidays and may your New Year feature an actual picture for us all to look at while we read your words.

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Confession:. I am heavily biased against board users that do not have avatars.  I see that weird light silhouette against the darker background and i develop a compulsion to argue with them and get angry and resort to fallacious and disingenuous terms of engagement.  It starts as a tension in the shoulders and a quivering anxiety in the sinuses, and is finally released in a torrent of thumb spasms that peck out a response on my embattled phone.

So I'd like to offer my services as an avatar selection coach.  Tell me what you want to project to the board and I'll send you a few to choose from. Maybe you'll be inspired to search the web and select your own or even create one in mspaint or Photoshop elements or some shit.

I remember when I first joined the board I didn't have an avatar for the first year or so until @zakalwe7 sent me one of his inimitable MSPaint artworks to use.

On 12/24/2017 at 2:54 PM, williamjm said:

I remember when I first joined the board I didn't have an avatar for the first year or so until @zakalwe7 sent me one of his inimitable MSPaint artworks to use.

That's what I'm talking about, the community coming together to give detail to the obscured.  To make order of chaos.  Your av is board gestalt in action.

My dad told me he was diagnosed with dysthymia (now going by pervasive depressive disorder) recently. It put some things into context -- perhaps why he seemed possibly too disengaged and withdrawn to me as a young'un. And why he's been chronically depressed the last few years; the story with my mother and the rest of our family until they divorced a few years ago is pretty rough. I thought he was having a hard time moving on from everything. It sounds like he started having depression problems from out of nowhere in his late twenties or early thirties though.

Well, he says the medications his psychiatrist gave him have made him feel much better. His psychiatrist said they (she and him) were going to fix everything. That's pretty confident -- I hope she's right!

Also, I sometimes feel concerned that I will get the disorder too. 

Just some random commentary that doesn't really go anywhere else.  

I don't know how anyone buys a home.  You save up for a downpayment but then during that (relatively short) time, prices increase dramatically so you don't have enough.  But then when you do have enough you realize it's not actually enough because there are still all those stupid fucking fees you have to account for.  Then you find something within your budget but financing won't approve because it needs to many repairs and on and on and still no house.  Of course, the very well off don't really have these concerns.  If they wanted, one of their paychecks could cover a downpayment on a small house in an older area of town. 

I'm just annoyed.  I'm tired of renting.  I'm tired of looking.  I want to paint my own kitchen one day.  It constantly feels so unobtainable.

Archived