Smaller Things Even Less Worthy of a Thread of Their Own

Datepalm

I hate my mother's annoying habit of over-customizing her menu orders in restaurants. She would point to the menu item she wants and proceed to say: Cook it at this temperature, leave out this ingredient and add more of that ingredient, lay it out on the plate this way and I want this specific amount in portions.

I have to tell her: "Mum, this is not a buffet"

11 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I just wrote a cover letter for a job app and.........I didn't die.  It's a miracle!  

Congratulations! 

You are far more powerful than me.

I refuse to do this until I'm absolutely sure that I'm strong enough to survive the attempt. 

(Same reason I won't eat a vegetable. PROVE it won't kill me). 

15 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Congratulations! 

You are far more powerful than me.

I refuse to do this until I'm absolutely sure that I'm strong enough to survive the attempt. 

(Same reason I won't eat a vegetable. PROVE it won't kill me). 

Why thank you!  Usually I hate cover letters, but for once found online an example and how to that I could live with.  Now will it get me an interview?  Who knows, but for this time out, I conquered the damn cover letter!   Boo rah!

Any of you guys diabetics? Or have family members who are diabetics? Live near the Canadian border?

A friend posted a story about a guy going to Walgreens getting a month's worth of his insulin, Humalog, and paying $807 dollars.

Insulin in Canada is over-the-counter medicine, no prescription needed. I just searched prices and a box of the stuff is about $39 Cdn at Walmart or about $31 US. I think the guy said he bought three boxes, so that would be $93 US.

Even if you live a long way from the border, it's worth the drive. But you need a passport or an enhanced driver's license.

If you buy supplies for a couple of months, you could fly, pay for a hotel room for a weekend, have a mini-holiday and still save money.

Same stuff, same manufacturer, Eli Lilly.

Skinny Pop Popcorn Puffs are a yummy snack I found. 

https://www.skinnypop.com/our-popcorn/popcorn-puffs/sweet-cinnamon/

Not scary bad calorie wise and less bad than any other chip or cookie type processed snack.

I haven't tried the white cheddar but the cinnamon sugar are really really good. Apparently the ingredients are just Popcorn, Sunflower Oil, Sugar, Cinnamon and Sea Salt. It's baked and made into puffs so no popcorn husks to choke on or get stuck in teeth either.

10 puffs are 65 calories, but even if you go nuts and eat the whole bag, that's 520 calories a tiny bit less than a Big Mac and a lot less sodium, saturated fat, and no cholesterol.

6 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Skinny Pop Popcorn Puffs are a yummy snack I found. 

https://www.skinnypop.com/our-popcorn/popcorn-puffs/sweet-cinnamon/

Not scary bad calorie wise and less bad than any other chip or cookie type processed snack.

I haven't tried the white cheddar but the cinnamon sugar are really really good. Apparently the ingredients are just Popcorn, Sunflower Oil, Sugar, Cinnamon and Sea Salt. It's baked and made into puffs so no popcorn husks to choke on or get stuck in teeth either.

10 puffs are 65 calories, but even if you go nuts and eat the whole bag, that's 520 calories a tiny bit less than a Big Mac and a lot less sodium, saturated fat, and no cholesterol.

This may actually deserve its own thread.  Sounds amazing!

The nervousness I had about going to MeetUp groups seems to be gone. I felt okay going to the last one I attended, and didn't feel nervous about the one I meant to attend today... which I backed out of because I have been terribly unproductive on my senior project. Anyway, I think I only went to two MeetUp group meetings before the social anxiety went away. I feel I've been hard to talk to at them, but I assume this will improve with time as well.

Now, to work on my "easily distracted and unproductive" problem...

On 10/02/2018 at 5:32 AM, drawkcabi said:

I miss the "I'm a PC"/ "I'm a Mac" commercials.

I never had a mac in my life, but is it just me or, as an ironic turn of events, at this point doesn't John Hodgman carry much more of a coolness factor than Justin Long?

I miss the British versions, where David Mitchell was the PC and Robert Webb was the Mac. This was based off of their characters from the TV show Peep Show, in which Mitchell's character was awkward and Webb's character was laid-back. Unfortuantely, Apple apparently failed to realise that Mitchell's character was also kind of endearing whereas Webb's character was a smug, punchable fucknugget.

If I take my Keep Cup to a cafe, they clean it for me! :) Apparently it's for health and safety reasons, they're not allowed to let the cup stay dirty.

This thread was made for stories like this one:

Police in western Germany have freed two men who became entangled with a mannequin and a large, remote controlled car.

Officers were called after cries were heard from an apartment in the city of Mainz in the early hours of Saturday.

Police found the 58-year-old tenant and a 61-year-old visitor “hopelessly locked together” with the toy car and the mannequin — which was dressed in a knight’s costume.

Officers were able to free the men, who were too drunk to explain how their unfortunate predicament had come about.

According to a police statement, “the whole thing would have remained a funny episode” but the younger man was “more than impolite” and now faces a charge of insulting officers.

http://time.com/5164714/mainz-germany-bizarre-news/

Hahahahahahahaha!

My favourite part is definitely: "... were too drunk to explain how their unfortunate predicament had come about."

That's the bit I want to know!

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

Hahahahahahahaha!

My favourite part is definitely: "... were too drunk to explain how their unfortunate predicament had come about."

That's the bit I want to know!

I can construct a scenario involving a toy car, a mannequin, and two drunk guys but the knight's costume has me boggled. 

Archived