Board games!

Werthead

On 8/9/2017 at 1:42 AM, DaveSumm said:

Yea I stumbled across that, but didn't realise it was the guy that did Scythe until recently. I guess I'll have to jump on the preorder pretty swiftly as it's not on kickstarter. Just the artwork and 'village building Legacy game' had me interested.

I picked up Great Western Trail recently and I'm so glad I did. It's a great game, plays differently every time and really rewards multiple plays. There seems to be so many equally viable strategies, and each one is dependent on the board randomness so you have to react quickly and be willing to change things up. Also picked up Patchwork (I've discovered a local board game store I didn't know I had) and if you like tessalating tiles and Tetris style block filling, you can't go wrong. It's a simple 20 minute 2 player game, which is a handy thing to have sometimes.

Great Western Trail is a fantastic game.  

There's been a lot of those games like Patchwork lately.  I've really enjoyed Bärenpark, and it plays up to four, and I got in several games of Feast for Odin last month that uses that same mechanism as one small part of the game.

On 7/9/2017 at 6:54 AM, Inigima said:

I think after discussing with a few people I am not going to pick up Betrayal at House on the Hill. I dig the concept but multiple friends plus SU&SD seem to feel there isn't actually much game there.

I own and enjoy Betrayal at House on the Hill.  I would encourage you to play it if you have a shot, the randomness of the betrayer and the sudden shift of alliances is where the real game is at.  It becomes interesting watching the social dynamic shift as suddenly everyone is trying to figure out what the betrayer is doing and the betrayer has this hidden agenda and knows that the others can beat him, but not sure how.

The game scenarios really milk that aspect and the friends I played with found it to be a ton of fun.

• 1 month later...

SU&SD's documentary about TI4:

I've never played any Twilight Imperium, but this was still very interesting.  My favorite bits were easily the artist talking about trying to get away with stuff, and how he knows nothing about the game itself.

At the risk of self-promotion...well, ok, it's not a "risk", this is flat out self promotion...my first published game is due to come out this November.  From Rio Grande Games, it's called "Santa's Workshop" - a light to midweight worker placement game.

The BGG page is here:  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/235017/santas-workshop

And it's popping up for pre-order on a few online retailers, I know you can find it at Miniature Market and Cool Stuff Inc. 

In any case, my apologies if I'm out of line for "promoting" it in this forum.  I'm happy to answer any questions about what it was like going through the process of getting a game published.

Nice price at Miniature Market, just placed a preorder.  And I didn't even get it all incestuous with my many other preorders (I'm going to need to email them to clean that up, my account page is a freaking nightmare).  Any pictures of the board?  

Congrat!  I look forward to playing it!

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Nice price at Miniature Market, just placed a preorder.  And I didn't even get it all incestuous with my many other preorders (I'm going to need to email them to clean that up, my account page is a freaking nightmare).  Any pictures of the board?  

Congrat!  I look forward to playing it!

I need to put a picture of the just the board on BGG, but I want to get a nice hi-res version from the artist.  But on the BGG page, under "Files", I uploaded the rulebook.  It's a PDF, and there's some pictures of the board in there.

19 hours ago, HokieStone said:

I need to put a picture of the just the board on BGG, but I want to get a nice hi-res version from the artist.  But on the BGG page, under "Files", I uploaded the rulebook.  It's a PDF, and there's some pictures of the board in there.

Very colorful.  I like the repeating pattern on the scoring track.  I'll try and read the rules at some point; finding the time though...

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Has anyone played the Dark Souls board game?  I'm thinking of buying it but it comes with a hefty pricetag and I'd like to see lots of reviews on it.

I was talking to one of my cousins over Labor Day weekend, and he had played it and really enjoyed it.  Most reviews I've seen have been decent, but one thing that is always mentioned is that the game is a 2-3 hour grind.  Which is apparently true to the video game, but not something I'm really interested in in a board game.  It would definitely be one I would suggest trying before buying, but that is coming from a guy that very rarely does that himself ;) 

On 9/23/2017 at 2:58 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Very colorful.  I like the repeating pattern on the scoring track.  I'll try and read the rules at some point; finding the time though...

Yeah, on my prototype, having a different symbol every 5 spaces on the score track, really helped with changing the score.  No matter where you are, you can count by 5s to get close to your new score (you can score anywhere from 5 up to 40something for a gift).

• 2 weeks later...

So, in addition to liking board games, I"m a season ticket holder for Virginia Tech football (you can find me in the college football thread on this board as well).  We had a big game against Clemson this past weekend, and College Gameday came to town.  For those not familiar, it's sort of a traveling roadshow, where the announcers preview the day's games, and make picks, ending with the game where they are located.  They typically go to the "biggest" game of the week.  Fans crowd in behind the stage, and hold up all manner of signs - 99% of them related to the game.

Since I get season tickets, I decided to go down to Gameday with my own sign.  But it wasn't related to the game....

Here's a link to one of the many tweets about it after people saw the sign on Gameday -

• 1 month later...

This month with my board gaming groups I gotten in a couple of games of the fantastic Clans of Caledonia this month, a couple of Great Western Trail (my current #1 game), Terraforming Mars, and a smattering several others.  Over the holiday, my family, I played many lighter games - lots of Carcassonne and Splendor (that's about my mom's speed), a couple of Stone Age, and I tried to teach a big game of 7 Wonders - oh my, that did not go well.  I think the biggest problem was that we started at about 10:30pm, but it went hilariously bad.  Overall a very good month of gaming though, and December should be just as good.

For Christmas I bought my son Risk, Axis & Allies and Kellar's Keep (the first expansion pack for Hero Quest).  We're getting established with some basics/classics.  We played a good amount of Hero Quest and Catan during this year, plus chess.

But if I want to really play then I'll need to find a group of game/strategy nerd friends.  So I keep it simple in order to keep games part of family time.

10 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

This month with my board gaming groups I gotten in a couple of games of the fantastic Clans of Caledonia this month, a couple of Great Western Trail (my current #1 game), Terraforming Mars, and a smattering several others.  Over the holiday, my family, I played many lighter games - lots of Carcassonne and Splendor (that's about my mom's speed), a couple of Stone Age, and I tried to teach a big game of 7 Wonders - oh my, that did not go well.  I think the biggest problem was that we started at about 10:30pm, but it went hilariously bad.  Overall a very good month of gaming though, and December should be just as good.

I've played Clans of Caledonia once...really enjoyed it and want to get it back to the table.  Also played Great Western Trail for the first time recently...I'm a little more mixed on that one.  I like complex game...but that one has a LOT going on in it.  I'm still trying to warm up to Terraforming Mars as well...not sure what it is, I think it's an interesting game...but something about it doesn't quite grab me.  After my latest play, I pinpointed a few things - the randomness of the cards you are dealt, and turn order.  Turn order can be critical, if you're trying to get the last upgrades on heat or oxygen...and if it doesn't fall right for you, tough.  I know there are some things that can mitigate that...but I wish you could control turn order a bit more directly.

On 9/22/2017 at 4:32 AM, HokieStone said:

At the risk of self-promotion...well, ok, it's not a "risk", this is flat out self promotion...my first published game is due to come out this November.  From Rio Grande Games, it's called "Santa's Workshop" - a light to midweight worker placement game.

The BGG page is here:  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/235017/santas-workshop

And it's popping up for pre-order on a few online retailers, I know you can find it at Miniature Market and Cool Stuff Inc. 

In any case, my apologies if I'm out of line for "promoting" it in this forum.  I'm happy to answer any questions about what it was like going through the process of getting a game published.

That's yours? I was eyeing that up.

There hasn't been a decent christmas game that I've seen so I've got high hopes for this and I do love a worker placement.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:42 PM, HokieStone said:

Since I get season tickets, I decided to go down to Gameday with my own sign.  But it wasn't related to the game....

It was related to A game..  :)

Congrats.  I'll give it a shot.

50 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

It was related to A game..  :)

Congrats.  I'll give it a shot.

Less than $30 here:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/rio539.html

They also were sold out a few weeks ago, so they must have upped their order significantly, as they now show 14 available. 

Archived