Let's talk about the new costumes

RhaenysBee

New costumes, yay or nay? 

I personally have mixed feelings, but I'm curious about what everybody thinks. Show fans, book fans, both fans? 

Here's an article I didn't read collecting all the season 7 costumes featured in the new HBO promo

(I skimmed through the article, it doesn't say anything so I was right not to read it. Just look at the pictures.) 

Rather then yay or nay I'll go with... meh.

I think Jaime looks great and very Tywin esque (though I don't think that has much bearing on his character so much as it will make him more formidable in battle against Dany's forces).  Big thumbs up on Cersei and Dany (though I miss Cersei's long hair).  Sansa and Arya are fine.  I really don't like Tyrion (the "rightful" heir of CR) abandoning Lannister colors.  Everyone else is just okay.

I like Arya and Bran:wub:. I'd say Sandor looks handsome (same for Jaime) with the leather stuff but still too much dark. The rest of them are too black and out of character.

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/lifestyle/fashion/the-new-game-of-thrones-costumes-sure-is-high-fashion-this-season-20170409-gvh2yg.html

Jaime, Jon, Tormund, Davos, Theon, and Varys all look the same so there's not much to say on that front.

I love Dany's new gear. Looks warm and practical, but also looks really cool. I like the red cape.

Cersei looks amazing. Love the silver, almost like it's choking her. Still don't like the bowl cut, tho. 

Arya looks great. Very "Stark," but also very unique. She looks like her dad :wub:

Sansa looks great. She looks like an adult now. I see some Catelyn in there.

Tyrion looks good. Not much to report. 

Missandei looks a little too "pop star" for my liking, but whatever. I like the dragon pin. 

Bran and Brienne look fine. I hope Brienne has the same armor on under the cloak. 

On 4/9/2017 at 11:58 AM, RhaenysB said:

New costumes, yay or nay? 

I personally have mixed feelings, but I'm curious about what everybody thinks. Show fans, book fans, both fans? 

Here's an article I didn't read collecting all the season 7 costumes featured in the new HBO promo

(I skimmed through the article, it doesn't say anything so I was right not to read it. Just look at the pictures.) 

nay.  i don't like them, why does everyone have now Joan Crawford shoulders and is wearing black?  I truly hate Cersei's new look, don't really like Dany's outfit...I originally liked that GOT did its own take on middle ages costumes and thought it was inventive, but now I don't even think the outfits are attractive for the most part.

10 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

nay.  i don't like them, why does everyone have now Joan Crawford shoulders and is wearing black?  I truly hate Cersei's new look, don't really like Dany's outfit...I originally liked that GOT did its own take on middle ages costumes and thought it was inventive, but now I don't even think the outfits are attractive for the most part.

Cersei is the Westerosi Joan Crawford so I don't see the issue

sarcasm aside her dress does have that kind of silhouette but i personally like it. 

On 4/11/2017 at 4:00 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

I like Arya and Bran:wub:. I'd say Sandor looks handsome (same for Jaime) with the leather stuff but still too much dark. The rest of them are too black and out of character.

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/lifestyle/fashion/the-new-game-of-thrones-costumes-sure-is-high-fashion-this-season-20170409-gvh2yg.html

All of this, but I wish they would let Arya grow up, she could pass for a boy other than the longer hair (at least they let her have that).

5 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

All of this, but I wish they would let Arya grow up, she could pass for a boy other than the longer hair (at least they let her have that).

The actress just looks that way, regardless of how long her hair is. She does not look very feminin. It is a general problem when you cast children. You never know how puberty will kick in. In the books it is stated that she looks a lot like Lyanna. Well, Maisie will never be able to look like Lyanna...but she is a great actress.

45 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Totally agree with that!! At least she can have long hair.....

35 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

The actress just looks that way, regardless of how long her hair is. She does not look very feminin. It is a general problem when you cast children. You never know how puberty will kick in. In the books it is stated that she looks a lot like Lyanna. Well, Maisie will never be able to look like Lyanna...but she is a great actress.

I think she is referring to the fact her clothes are more of a warrior, instead of  a Northerner style for women, (although the only one who wears dresses is Sansa and I don't like her new outfit). While it's true Arya's style is more for combat, like Lyanna Mormont, she could still wear it in a more feminine style, though I don't particularly dislike it. I like the asymmetry. I like she let her have long hair! They can play with that

2 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think she is referring to the fact her clothes are more of a warrior, instead of  a Northerner style for women, (although the only one who wears dresses is Sansa and I don't like her new outfit). While it's true Arya's style is more for combat, like Lyanna Mormont, she could still wear it in a more feminine style, though I don't particularly dislike it. I like the asymmetry. I like she let her have long hair! They can play with that

Right. I like when they let her dress womanly in Braavos. Also I think Maisie is pretty, and has a nice figure, so I wish they would let that be part of Arya's story, too.

31 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Right. I like when they let her dress womanly in Braavos. Also I think Maisie is pretty, and has a nice figure, so I wish they would let that be part of Arya's story, too.

Yes, yes and yes! I love her outfit of Braavos. I think the show did a very good job recreating what she could be wearing in the books. I was very surprised to see Arya with that outfit after all these seasons wearing that thing, because it was feminine now!, but also practical and not extremely "girly", and hinted at she growing up as a girl. It fit Arya's personality a lot. And I loved the buns! and also the ornaments to hold them.

Yes, she is pretty and, although I don't dislike the new outfit, if they want they can play with her hair. I think she'll be sporting her medium length hair in different ways (considering the pics that were "leaked" last year) but also the one of the promo. They'll play with that. I hope she also wears something different (and new) as well.

n

15 hours ago, dsug said:

Cersei is the Westerosi Joan Crawford so I don't see the issue

sarcasm aside her dress does have that kind of silhouette but i personally like it. 

I more object to the shoulder pads on Dany and Missy, and even it appears Tyrion, LOL.  Cersei looks like a cenobite from Romulus to me, but I guess mileage varies.  

On 4/11/2017 at 3:16 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Rather then yay or nay I'll go with... meh.

I think Jaime looks great and very Tywin esque (though I don't think that has much bearing on his character so much as it will make him more formidable in battle against Dany's forces).  Big thumbs up on Cersei and Dany (though I miss Cersei's long hair).  Sansa and Arya are fine.  I really don't like Tyrion (the "rightful" heir of CR) abandoning Lannister colors.  Everyone else is just okay.

Tyrion ditched Lannister colours in Season 4, representing his break with his family. He hasn't worn red since.

I like Arya's outfit. Apart from her Braavos outfit, most of her clothing has been pretty plain, so it's nice to see something extra like the cloak. The leather jacket looks much like what the Stark men wear, though.

Hard to say much about Sansa since we don't see much of her dress. 

Even though their costumes are not that far removed from other things they've worn in past seasons, Missandei and Dany look like they belong on Star Trek, I dunno.

On 4/18/2017 at 10:22 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, yes and yes! I love her outfit of Braavos. I think the show did a very good job recreating what she could be wearing in the books. I was very surprised to see Arya with that outfit after all these seasons wearing that thing, because it was feminine now!, but also practical and not extremely "girly", and hinted at she growing up as a girl. It fit Arya's personality a lot. And I loved the buns! and also the ornaments to hold them.

Yes, she is pretty and, although I don't dislike the new outfit, if they want they can play with her hair. I think she'll be sporting her medium length hair in different ways (considering the pics that were "leaked" last year) but also the one of the promo. They'll play with that. I hope she also wears something different (and new) as well.

Not a fan of the buns on either side of the head (horn hair!) But the outfit was OK, girly but practical, it suited her.

On Wed Apr 19 2017 at 11:46 AM, Newstar said:

Tyrion ditched Lannister colours in Season 4, representing his break with his family. He hasn't worn red since.

I actually hadn't noticed this.  I am always so distracted by how much darker his hair gets each season to notice his clothes.

On 2017. 04. 17. at 3:38 PM, Cas Stark said:

I mostly agree with this. While I get that people need to wear dark colors to pop in the snowy backgrounds, it's truly unimaginative to dress everybody in black and the female costumes are straight up ugly with the exception of Sansa's maybe who is the only female character who doesn't look like she's wearing a leather jacket dress. 

On 2017. 04. 18. at 2:51 PM, Le Cygne said:

Arya is grown up. She is never going to have long hair or wear a skirt because she is Arya, no matter how old she is. She is basically a more vicious and vindictive edition of Brienne. 

By the way, I'm not sure how old Arya (or Sansa or anybody really) is at this point in the show. But since Maisie Williams is grown up, it's hard to imagine that Arya is any younger than 16-17 in the story. 

Archived