What was the best scene from the books in your opinion?

Ser Loras The Gay

I think my favorite series of scenes is Joffery's wedding day.  From breakfast through Sansa's dramatic escape and the revelation that Littlefinger was behind it (including the various clues as to who was behind the poisoning) is still exciting to me even after several re-reads of the series.

1 hour ago, Snowmelter said:

I think my favorite series of scenes is Joffery's wedding day.  From breakfast through Sansa's dramatic escape and the revelation that Littlefinger was behind it (including the various clues as to who was behind the poisoning) is still exciting to me even after several re-reads of the series.

A very long and action packed scene indeed. The way it was writen you could feel sansa's fear of geting caught but also feel deep inside of her the joy of being free. The death of Jofrey was also epic, he deserved. And the mysteries left unanswered up to this moment are fantastic.

I am surprised the Blackwater Battle has not been mentioned yet. I think having the battle told through 3 different POV´s is an amazing feat of stroytelling.. Specially when you consider than 2 of them are sympathetic characters fighting at opposite sides and the third is a girl trapped and afraid of the consequences of a defeat she should be rooting for.

It really drives home one of the series most relevant themes, the futility of war and the unnecessary suffering it creates. And in top of that, because you really do not know who the "good guys" are, you are utterly in suspense about the result, what is quite rare in fiction.

That's a truly difficult question to answer. There's just TOO many remarkably written scenes for me to pick a favorite. I'll just go with a few of them instead. (in no particular order)

1. Doran telling Arianne about her secret betrothal to Viserys.

2. Sam manipulating Ser Denys Mallister and Cotter Pyke into withdrawing for Jon as the new Lord Commander.

3. Sam recounting the Ambush at the Fist of the First Men...and forgetting to give the messages to the ravens before sending them,

4. The Kingsmoot was particularly good as well.

1) Arya with needle/harwin T.T

2) Sansa building the snow castle + littlefinger's "only cat" (the whole chapter was amazing!)

3) Catelyn's last words at the red wedding T.T

4) Jaime jumping into the pit to save brienne

5) Jon's "ed, fetch me a block" and making eye contact with stannis 

• 4 months later...

One of the best scenes for me is Tyrion's voyage down the Rhoyne. I love the journey's atmosphere,  the tidbits of rhoynar history, and Tyrion's interaction with the Young Griff and the crew, especially the cyvasse game. All in all, it's the highlight of ADWD in my opinion.

On 2017-04-11 at 9:28 AM, rotting sea cow said:

"A dragon is no slave."

"His eyes went wide, "Gods be good," he said in a choked voice. "Arya Underfoot? Lem, let go of her."

"What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your fathers and your brothers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance!"

Excellent choices all of them

Also

When the horns are blown outside Winterfell and everyone thinks is Stannis.

"And a name passed from the lips of each man to the next, written in small white puffs of breath. Stannis, they whispered, Stannis is here, Stannis is come, Stannis, Stannis, Stannis."

Thinking about it there are many scenes involving Stannis that are fantastic.

But certainly the best scene of the books is the born of the dragons at the end of AGOT. It is a change of the tides, a quantum leap in the story. You know that everything will be different onwards.

"As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from its mouth and nostrils. The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

Literally tearing up by reading it now. For like the millionth time... It might be the most powerful passage ever written, imo.

One that springs to mind for me is when the wildling women sneak Jeyne Poole out of Winterfell … (I had watched the show first and then got the books, but I knew the fArya plotline was going to happen so I was super excited about finally getting to it and it did not disappoint)

Edit: haha, literally did not see the previous post was also about this scene!

As foolish the idea was the King in the North scène was amazing. 

Sansa building a snow replica of Winterfell. This scène was so exquisitely beautiful. It was a moment for Sansa to mourn the lost of her innocence, to say goodbye to her childhood, but there was also a touch of hope. That though she would never get her old life back, she can build a new life. A new place to call home. In my opinion this scène was when Sansa killed the girl, but let the woman be born.

PS: A little fun fact. This is the last chapter where Sansa talks about songs

On 4/23/2017 at 6:30 AM, Drogonthedread said:

Nothing can beat the ending of the first book 

Dany hatching the dragons and being Unburnt

This is the best scene for me.  The hatching of the dragon eggs.  Daenerys coming out of that fire with her dragons. 

And she knew the Dothraki were hers as they had never been Drogo's. 

Too many to count but my favourites are:

Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy's loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him.

Too tragic, especially when it's possible the Red Wedding would not have happened had Theon not sacked Winterfell and purported to kill Bran & Rickon. The whole scene before the weirwood is so atmospheric.

The scene with Davos and Wyman Manderly and its great reveal:

My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter ... but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer's farce is almost done. My son is home.

My heart leapt when I read this.  For the first time, I had some hope for the North.

And, of course, my signature. VVV

Number one for me is always Davos and Wyman.

"My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter ... but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer's farce is almost done. My son is home. "

Such a powerful speech.

Other favorite scenes would be The Red Wedding and everything preceding it. Though, it is a short chapter, it has so much substance to it.

Tyrion feeding different information to Varys, LF and Pycelle in ACOK. Tyrion was at his best in that book.

The prologue to AGOT with Ser Royce's lines when fighting the Other.

Ned's fever dream of ToJ.

Sansa building the snow castle.

ADWD prologue and Varamyr Sixskins seeing the wight woman with the icy blood. One of the few pure horror moments of the series. Then warging into his wolf. An awesome chapter.

Archived