Deadpool 2: Cross Universe Casting

Rhom

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:08 PM, Myrddin said:

The difference is, Suicide Squad was a mediocre movie that wasn't very funny. :)

That is being generous. I still haven't seen it since I went to the theatre to watch. I had it on DVR and it's still just sitting there unwatched.

I think the difference is that Ryan Reynolds IS DeadPool. When I see him I see a smart ass who I'd love to punch in the face during an arguement, or buy a beer.  I don't think it would have worked with anyone else. Same as Robert Downy jr as Iron Man. He is a billionaire playboy smart ass, he is it convincingly... If someone else was Iron Man I would bet the farm that Marvel movies wouldn't be half of what they are today.

When it came to Superman, the new Batman, Suicide Squad...I don't buy them as the character they are playing. I mean, even when The Dark Knight trilogy was out, if Heath Ledger wasn't involved it would've been as mediocre as the newer DC films. Getting him as Joker allowed them to get a huge audience. My wife doesn't like these kind of movies but has seen The Dark Knight more than 10 times, because of the Joker. She has seen The Dark Knight rises once...

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

That is being generous. I still haven't seen it since I went to the theatre to watch. I had it on DVR and it's still just sitting there unwatched.

I think the difference is that Ryan Reynolds IS DeadPool. When I see him I see a smart ass who I'd love to punch in the face during an arguement, or buy a beer.  I don't think it would have worked with anyone else. Same as Robert Downy jr as Iron Man. He is a billionaire playboy smart ass, he is it convincingly... If someone else was Iron Man I would bet the farm that Marvel movies wouldn't be half of what they are today.

When it came to Superman, the new Batman, Suicide Squad...I don't buy them as the character they are playing. I mean, even when The Dark Knight trilogy was out, if Heath Ledger wasn't involved it would've been as mediocre as the newer DC films. Getting him as Joker allowed them to get a huge audience. My wife doesn't like these kind of movies but has seen The Dark Knight more than 10 times, because of the Joker. She has seen The Dark Knight rises once...

Good point about the value in casting regarding getting the films right. Out of the DC films there was only Jason Mamoa who seemed to click instantly in his role for me. Gal Gadot quickly showed she was a great choice once we saw her on screen too. I think Affleck could be a great Batman but so far he's suffering from a fate similar to Hugh Jackman's solo outings where they never made the most of him.

Marvel tend to get it pitch perfect most of the time (and I think Sony has always done a good job with their Spidey casting). Iron Man, Captain America, Thor (although it took until Team Thor/Ragnarok for him to really click and now he's A-list) and the Guardians (although expectations around the Gaurdians were virtually non-existent but the actors have defined those roles really well). They don't always get it right - I'm still not totally convinced with Banner and Dr Strange (not that they are bad) and while I don't know who would make Strange work I feel the Strange Franchise could be a lot better with a pairing that was along the lines of spidey, stark, thor or cap.

The Fox films did good with both versions of Magneto and Xavier too.

27 minutes ago, red snow said:

Out of the DC films there was only Jason Mamoa who seemed to click instantly in his role for me.

I think Momoa is playing what he's been given well enough but what he's been given is an absoulte farce of an Aquaman. And Ezra Miller is a terrible Barry Allen too, though I'm not sure Miller ever could play a really good Barry Allen.

The TV division have got it much more right with the casting. I don't watch the shows much coz the overal quality of the writing and production values are too up-and-down, but Flash and Supergirl in particular absolutely nailed it with their leads. And although Gotham miscast young Bruce and couldn't have done worse with young Selena (though that was probably writing and directorial decisions too), they got it right with Penguin and some of the other villains.

Although I did see that Legion of Tomorrow fucked Vandal Savage up proper.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Good point about the value in casting regarding getting the films right. Out of the DC films there was only Jason Mamoa who seemed to click instantly in his role for me. Gal Gadot quickly showed she was a great choice once we saw her on screen too. I think Affleck could be a great Batman but so far he's suffering from a fate similar to Hugh Jackman's solo outings where they never made the most of him.

Marvel tend to get it pitch perfect most of the time (and I think Sony has always done a good job with their Spidey casting). Iron Man, Captain America, Thor (although it took until Team Thor/Ragnarok for him to really click and now he's A-list) and the Guardians (although expectations around the Gaurdians were virtually non-existent but the actors have defined those roles really well). They don't always get it right - I'm still not totally convinced with Banner and Dr Strange (not that they are bad) and while I don't know who would make Strange work I feel the Strange Franchise could be a lot better with a pairing that was along the lines of spidey, stark, thor or cap.

The Fox films did good with both versions of Magneto and Xavier too.

Yep, most of the ones you mention as good fits are actors who I generally like. I do like Banner, Strange not so sure on. I am not a hardcore comic fan and had barely heard of Dr. Strange before this so my baseline was zero.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Yep, most of the ones you mention as good fits are actors who I generally like. I do like Banner, Strange not so sure on. I am not a hardcore comic fan and had barely heard of Dr. Strange before this so my baseline was zero.

In all fairness I've never been much a fan of the comic character either. I think the films could have benefitted from getting an actor to make the part their own which is what they did with Iron Man as the comic version was never that sarcastic/cocky (at least for the 10 years I read the character). On paper Cumberbatch was a great idea as he does aspergers-like genuis/sociapath quite well. But I guess he was trying not to be sherlock again and we were left with a Stark-like character whose balance was shifted onto the arrogant side with less cocky charm to balance him out. He came off as a bit cold in his own film. Oddly though he worked really well within the Avengers dynamic suggesting that Strange may work better in a supporting role which is sort of the case with the comics too.

As for deadpool 2, I have high hopes for Brolin as Cable and hope he isn't just played for laughs. Domino still feels a bit of a blank slate as a comic character so hopefully they do something fun with her. I suspect the rest of X-force will come off as extras in the way a lot of x-men characters do eg horsemen, Gambit, fweapon x deadpool, etc. But at least Deadpool will make fun of this. The more ridiculous/lame they make Shatterstar the bettter IMO.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:04 AM, Myrddin said:

On point. :lol:

That is magnificent! I forgot all about that scene in Wolverine and didn't even realize they were parodying it in the DP2 trailer. I just thought it was a funny gag on its own. So looking forward to seeing X-Force in action on Thursday!

Thank you for that.

It's coming out tomorrow, seeing it Wednesday morning. I'm stupidly excited.

Brolin and Reynolds were on Graham Norton the other day and seemed in good form. I didn't get the chance to watch all of it, but the woman (she's from the Crown?) next to Josh Brolin was touching him way too much.

On 5/11/2018 at 3:12 AM, red snow said:

I can't remember any jokes in suicide squad either. Harley Quinn realising she was a comic book character might have helped but it wouldn't have saved a film being devoid of plot and structure. I still recall them randomly stopping for a beer after spending 20 minutes walking down a street.

That scene where they stopped for beer also highlighted one of the major problems with the film.  In that scene, the bad guys basically decided to be heroes, which goes against who most of them are at a very fundamental level.  These aren't people who want to be heroes, and they shouldn't have had the Suicide Squad doing a "save the whole world" type of mission to begin with.

They should have just adapted that Batman animated movie (Assault on Arkham) that tells a much better, more fitting Suicide Squad story where the squad has to break into Arkham and, from there, the shit naturally hits the fan as Batman and Joker show up and cause mayhem.  They could have basically adapted that shot for shot and added enough content to make it a feature length movie and it likely would have been actually enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

That scene where they stopped for beer also highlighted one of the major problems with the film.  In that scene, the bad guys basically decided to be heroes, which goes against who most of them are at a very fundamental level.  These aren't people who want to be heroes, and they shouldn't have had the Suicide Squad doing a "save the whole world" type of mission to begin with. 

This is exacerbated: when Boomerang (the only one who feels like a real crook) sees the bomb remote destroyed, he runs off. It makes sense to him, and it's actually kind of funny. And then he immediately comes back, for no reason. It just rams home how weird the motivations in this film are.

We're definitely going to need a spoiler thread for this one. Just came back to see it and I have to say that I liked it, but I didn't like it as much as the first installment.

51 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

We're definitely going to need a spoiler thread for this one. Just came back to see it and I have to say that I liked it, but I didn't like it as much as the first installment.

Was it the plot you had problems with, or was it not as funny?

I won't be seeing it until Monday.

Edit: NM. I just saw you posted in the watching thread, and I got the answer from there.

Archived