Football - #WengerOut

Consigliere

1 minute ago, Notone said:

Yes, but like I said, Ajax are down to 10 men, after Veltman got sent off. So that should really give them an edge now.

Anyway, Schalke and United on course.

You were saying?

We got through but that has to be one of the most frustrating United games I've watched this season. Right up there with our home games against Burnley and Bournemouth. We battered Anderlecht in both legs and the fact that the aggregate score was only 2-1 is a scathing indictment on the quality of our finishing. I'm a little more pissed off than happy, tbh.

Just now, Consigliere said:

We got through but that has to be one of the most frustrating United games I've watched this season. Right up there with our home games against Burnley and Bournemouth. We battered Anderlecht in both legs and the fact that the aggregate score was only 2-1 is a scathing indictment on the quality of our finishing. I'm a little more pissed off than happy, tbh.

Rashford was really good. Zlatan was poor, apart from a couple of moments of holdup play, Pogba's finishing was, again, shit, Martial when he came on was shite.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Rashford was really good. Zlatan was poor, apart from a couple of moments of holdup play, Pogba's finishing was, again, shit, Martial when he came on was shite.

Shaw was good going forward as well. Happy for him and hope he can kick on. Really don't want him to be considered surplus. We should have just gone with the 3-5-2 again. Put Herrera on Tielemans and have Rashford and one of Lingard, Mkhitaryan or Zlatan alongside him with Valencia and Shaw as wing-backs. This game would have been over long before full time.

It does look like Shaw has responded well to Mourinho's cringeworthy motivational methods, unlike Martial, who clearly wants to be somewhere else (can't blame him. While there are some notable successes to Mourinho's methods of publically humiliating his players to get them to work harder, there are at least as many huge misfires, and even sometimes when it's initially worked it's caused issues down the line, like with Hazard last season).

But it is good to see Shaw back making those runs and using his pace. I think he has lost a little since his leg break but he's still fast enough to scare the shit out of defences when he makes those timed overlaps.

Sad news: Ugo Ehiogu has died. Only 44 years old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39664839

Former England and Aston Villa defender Ugo Ehiogu has died at the age of 44 after suffering a cardiac arrest at Tottenham's training centre on Thursday.
A Spurs statement said Ehiogu died in hospital in the early hours of Friday.
Ehiogu, who was Spurs' Under-23s coach, was capped four times by England.

I'm just glad there won't be another Madrid derby final, as they are too heartbreaking for me to watch, knowing Ronaldo will inevitably win another medal. I really want Simeone to win the Champs league, he really deserves it for the semi miracle he's pulled off at Atletico. 

Also, its still amazing that United have taken europe so seriously this year, I can really see them winning it, despite never really managing to click as a team.

United have had to take the EL seriously given our league position and our upcoming league fixtures makes it very difficult for us to finish in the top 4. Besides, with the EL offering a route to the CL for the winners, more English clubs should start treating the competition with the proper respect. Celta Vigo have already beaten Barca this season as well as knocked Real out of the Copa Del Rey. They are not a side to be taken lightly despite their league position plus Spanish sides have dominated the EL for a long time. If our poor form in front of goal continues, Celta will make us pay.

Having come so close twice in recent years, it would be great if Atleti can go all the way. Tough draw for Monaco. Think they would have preferred facing Real as Juve are so well organised defensively. It's going to be much tougher for Monaco to find a way through them than either City or Dortmund. Monaco will need to be on top of their game defensively to stand a chance.

22 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Something I've always wondered in the 4-5 years I've been watching English soccer... why do they announce the team of the year with a month still to go in the season? 

I agree this makes very little sense, and I also find it infuriating when they announce Man of the Match with 5 minutes to go. We've seen hat tricks scored in that amount of time (or close to it), and even if that is an unlikely scenario, giving the MotM to a player in a 0-0 draw at 85 mins is surely ludicrous if someone then pops up to net a late winner?

Watching the Europa League highlights, Besiktas' loanee Talisca looks like a star in the making. 23 years and 191 cm tall, he scored a belter with his right foot and then later a clinical header. Does anyone follow Turkish football and know whether he's the real deal or if he just had a one-off?

Sisto also looked like a tricky customer in Celta's victory over Genk.

Juve have drawn Monaco in their CL semi. That must be seen as a favourable draw. Maybe this is their year. Dybala has been scintillating at times this season, and the old guard in defense seem to be holding up.

I'm hoping Monaco win the CL but I don't think they have a serious chance of beating either Juve or Atleti, so the odds are stacked against them. They just don't defend well enough, too vulnerable on the break to a solid defensive team.

Anyway, we've found out the probable motive for the bomb attack on Dortmund's bus. It was a stock market speculator trying to drive their share prices down. Not joking.

I was about to give that update on Dortmund, and it not being a terrorist thing, but merely motivated by greed, because of some stock option scheme.

Anyway, as far as the CL and EL ties go. I kinda liked them. I was a bit afraid of another Real - Atletico final. No, offense to the Spanish clubs, but I find finals with clubs from different nations simply more interesting. My guess is Juve - Real in the final.

In the EL, I think United and Lyon will make it. But it should be interesting nonetheless.

Zlatan out for the season, and possibly for half of next season too. Rashford's hitting form at just the right time so hopefully it won't derail this season too much, though if he gets hurt or drops form again we're fucked, but we're definitely spending outrageous amounts of money on Griezmann in the summer then...

Archived