Bakker XLVIII - Selected to LEAD not to READ

lokisnow

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It actually isn't, and that's fascinating. This whole concept of something being in a non-definitive state is what is behind quantum computation. It really isn't just a matter of us not knowing; in a very real sense for particles it is truly unknown and unknowable. 

Except the cat in fact actually is either alive or dead. Cats are big enough to collapse wave functions all by themselves. 

8 hours ago, Hello World said:

Thanks for this, he writes well but....

Im not a physicist, but then again neither is the author who is a philosopher. However i do know that most physicists, like Einstein, immediately went with the Hidden Variable interpretation, you know as per common sense,  and then spent years and years trying to find those variables. And they couldn't! Since then there have been a variety of different experiments that show entanglement and superposition are a real thing and that the quantum world doesnt work in an intuitive fashion.

Also here is the poll he was talking about, you can see that the Copenhagen Interpretation is still by far the most popular one.

[Sil]...taught them how to prosecute war with the remnants of their once-dread Arsenal.

Hmm so it seems like Sil was either a historian or the last remaining engineer ? I feel like a fully fledged engineer should have been able to do so much more with all the technology that still worked on the arc and im getting a kick imagining that Sil, the King of their mighty and dread race, was once their version of a renaissance fair reenactor who just so happened to know how a samurai sword worked.

43 minutes ago, Sheep the Evicted said:

Also here is the poll he was talking about, you can see that the Copenhagen Interpretation is still by far the most popular one.

Only thing that link tells me is that the question is far from settled. Since my opinion is irrelevant, I'm gonna stick to common sense for now.

50 minutes ago, Sheep the Evicted said:

Hmm so it seems like Sil was either a historian or the last remaining engineer ? I feel like a fully fledged engineer should have been able to do so much more with all the technology that still worked on the arc and im getting a kick imagining that Sil, the King of their mighty and dread race, was once their version of a renaissance fair reenactor who just so happened to know how a samurai sword worked.

I thought it meant that Sil was just a real violent M-F who figured out how to use things to hurt people that probably weren't originally designed to do so...

2 hours ago, .H. said:

I thought it meant that Sil was just a real violent M-F who figured out how to use things to hurt people that probably weren't originally designed to do so...

Maybe something like the heron-spear and other beam-weaponry were attached to mining equipment?  Or maybe the Inchoroi had originally used Death-bots instead of carrying their weapons by hand and all the Death-bots somehow ceased to work in the Fall.

5 hours ago, Sheep the Evicted said:

Thanks for this, he writes well but....

Im not a physicist, but then again neither is the author who is a philosopher. However i do know that most physicists, like Einstein, immediately went with the Hidden Variable interpretation, you know as per common sense,  and then spent years and years trying to find those variables. And they couldn't! Since then there have been a variety of different experiments that show entanglement and superposition are a real thing and that the quantum world doesnt work in an intuitive fashion.

Pilot wave interpretation has been making a bit of a resurgence. There's talk that there may be some possible experiments to see if it can be confirmed or ruled out. 

4 hours ago, Hello World said:

Only thing that link tells me is that the question is far from settled. Since my opinion is irrelevant, I'm gonna stick to common sense for now.

Common sense is out under any workable hidden variable theory. They all give up on locality so you still get "spooky action at a distance". 

11 hours ago, unJon said:

Except the cat in fact actually is either alive or dead. Cats are big enough to collapse wave functions all by themselves. 

Sure; as I said the particle is in an unknown state. 

4 hours ago, .H. said:

The way I took it is that the Inchoroi did not arrive on the world expecting to kill all the shit, or at least kill it in the fairly mundane way they ended up doing. Perhaps they expected to park outside in orbit and kill things, but the implication I took was that they didn't want to end up killing everything and were hoping in fact to not - to save their souls AND  the ones there. 

This goes well in line with the idea that the Consult is actually the good guys, and that's the Big Reveal. 

5 hours ago, Sheep the Evicted said:

Telephone sanitation engineer?

Basically the Inchoroi focused on sex so much (Bacchanal? lol) they just started forgetting their technologies. They rooted themselves.

'Inertial Inversion Field ' sound neat. A little close to 'reverse the polarity', but what are you gunna do? :)

I like the comment left by 'machinery' under the excerpt which seems to be part of his/her quest to find a text that is somehow impressive, rather than merely playing the part.

23 hours ago, kuenjato said:

Great review, Wert. Sounds like enough is resolved to make this whole series 'complete' in and of itself -- something I was a bit worried about, given the somewhat balls-in-the-air conclusions to TGO (which I liked) and the relatively short page count of this one. July can't come soon enough.

This will very much be a YVMV situation.

Another question, @Werthead - I'm still not sure what you found objectionable about TGO to give it 4.5 stars, but given that prior rating and the new information does it make TGO any better?

It explains a few things from TGO a bit better. It also makes a few things from TGO (and TAE as a whole) a bit more puzzling.

I'm looking forwards to the post-book analysis since, as usual, people here will tease out fifty thousand things I've missed.

I may be an outlier here, but I'm really not looking forward to another TTT-style encyclopedia at the end of TUC. I'd prefer if Bakker could weave more of the history and lore of his world into the actual text, using devices like Seswatha's dreams or the nonman helm. Apart from making it more enjoyable reading, it would also probably help readers retain the information.

I don't think that's a good idea. Merging exposition and narrative flow I think is a major problem for several fantasy series (certainly latter ASoIaF). Tolkien and Bakker I think chose the better course in removing vast tracts of exposition to the glossaries. Tolkien, for example, originally had most of the history of Gondor and Rohan from the LotR appendix in the text, with Faramir going off on long digressions about stuff that happened six centuries earlier for no really relevant reason. On a re-read Tolkien realised that was slowing down the narrative and pulled it to the appendix.

'Inertial Inversion Field ' sound neat. A little close to 'reverse the polarity', but what are you gunna do? :)

That's from TGO:

In the bit about Viri, Bakker mentions that the Ark fired some kind of massive beam which created a depression for the Ark to fall into and also helped the Ark slow down. Something went wrong and they didn't slow down enough in time, resulting in the cataclysm, although I think the real devastation came from the IIF rather than the actual crash (which, although titanic, shouldn't have caused that level of destruction).

What a fucking awesome line.

"You and I are not common. Our anger is a hammer that can shatter gods."

My hope is that this is the inversion that Mimara triggers. That she takes the role of Jesse Custer and is the decided that the gods are to end, the damnation is to end, and she is the hammer. 

11 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

I'm grateful for your work and everything you've done to get the word out about TUC, but could you put stuff like this in spoiler tags next time please? I'm trying to retain my Bakker finale virginity as much as possible. 

Sorry about that. Didn't think anyone would consider this a spoiler. . .

Wert took care of it, though. :)

Archived