Bolton's Burnt Book: Mysterious Reading

hiemal

The book is about the long night.  The white walkers and the Starks made a pact.  Whoever holds Winterfell will be spared by the white walkers.  The Starks were good servants and sacrificed people to earn their exemption from the white walkers.  They bought their safety like Craster did.  Knowing this increased his motivation to kill the Starks and take Winterfell for himself.  

On 7/11/2018 at 8:02 AM, zionius said:

Just came across explanation of GRRM:

Thank you.

Reading this has given me a new idea about Bolton's burnt book. It is still, from it's tome-like appearance, yellowing pages and so on, a copy of Malleon or at least, a genealogy book. He is burning it because it contains genealogical information (from three generations back) about the Freys, that is unhelpful to Roose's plan. 

Roose intends his son to become Lord of the Crossing by the simple expedient of killing everyone between him and Lord Walder in the line of succession. Although he started with Stevron, he isn't doing them in the order of succession. Still, he has a lot more to get through - everyone between Lord Walder and Lady Bolton, and they have to die before Lord Walder if he is to succeed. Lady Stoneheart's efforts play into his hand, in this scenario.

I'm not sure if this ties in with Big Walder's ambition to be Lord of the Twins or not. It still seems suspicious to me that Big Walder's cape and gloves were splattered with blood when his cousin's corpse was frozen and covered in hoarfrost, and his blaming the White Harbor men seems a straight up lie. Anyway, because of Big Walder's ambitions, I've done what I think is the order of succession of the Freys, down to Big Walder. It is working a lot on what Big Walder claims ie. that it is first the sons then the sons of the sons, then the daughters in the line of succession (which I have taken to mean, that the daughters share the inheritance between them, when the sons of a particular line are exhausted.)

1.    {Ser Stevron} Died after battle at Oxcross
2.    {Ser Ryman} hanged at Fairmarket by Lady Stoneheart

3.    Edwyn
4.    Edwyn’s Walda*
5.    Black Walder (refuses to marry, rumoured to have relations with wives of 3,6 *=suspect paternity due to this)
6.    {Petyr Pimple} hanged at Oldstones by Lady Stoneheart
7.    Perra*
8.    {Aegon Jinglebell} murdered at Red Wedding Catelyn Stark
9.    Walton
10.    Steffon the Sweet
11.    Bryan
12.    Fair Walda
13.    {Maegelle} died in childbirth
14.    Ser Emmon
15.    {Ser Cleos} killed by outlaws
16.    Tywin
17.    Willem
18.    Ser Lyonel
19.    {Tion} murdered by Rickard Karstark at Riverrun
20.    Red Walder
21.    {Ser Aenys} fell into a pit trap at Winterfell
22.    Aegon Bloodborne (outlaw)
23.    Rhaegar (envoy to White Harbor)

24.    Robert, son of Rhaegar
25.    Jonos
26.    White Walda
27.    Ser Jared (envoy to White Harbor)
28.    {Ser Tytos} slain Red Wedding, Sandor Clegane
29.    Zachery (sworn to the faith, at Oldtown)

30.    Zia
31.    Septon Luceon (in service at the Great Sept of Baelor)
32.    Kyra Goodbrook
33.    Ser Hosteen
34.    Ser Arwood
35.    Androw
36.    Alyn
37.    Ryella, Hostella
38.    Symond (envoy to White Harbor)
39.    Alesander
40.    Bradamer
41.    Alyx
42.    Ser Danwell
43.    {Merrett} hanged at Oldstones by Lady Stoneheart
44.    {Little Walder} found dead at Winterfell

45.    Amerei, Lady Bolton, Marissa
46.    {Ser Geremy Frey} drowned
47.    Ser Raymund Frey
48.    Robert son of Raymund, training at citadel
49.    Malwyn son of Raymund, apprentice at Lys
50.    Jaime Frey
51.    Tywin Frey son of Raymund
52.    Serra, Sarra, Cersei Frey daughters of Raymund
53.    Lame Lothar
54.    Tysane, Walda, Emberlei, Leana
55.    Jammos Frey
56.    Big Walder

So, there are only 28 people to die before Lady Bolton inherits the Twins, along with her two sisters. 46 still to die if Big Walder is to inherit.

1 hour ago, Walda said:

Thank you.

Reading this has given me a new idea about Bolton's burnt book. It is still, from it's tome-like appearance, yellowing pages and so on, a copy of Malleon or at least, a genealogy book. He is burning it because it contains genealogical information (from three generations back) about the Freys, that is unhelpful to Roose's plan. 

Roose intends his son to become Lord of the Crossing by the simple expedient of killing everyone between him and Lord Walder in the line of succession. Although he started with Stevron, he isn't doing them in the order of succession. Still, he has a lot more to get through - everyone between Lord Walder and Lady Bolton, and they have to die before Lord Walder if he is to succeed. Lady Stoneheart's efforts play into his hand, in this scenario.

I'm not sure if this ties in with Big Walder's ambition to be Lord of the Twins or not. It still seems suspicious to me that Big Walder's cape and gloves were splattered with blood when his cousin's corpse was frozen and covered in hoarfrost, and his blaming the White Harbor men seems a straight up lie. Anyway, because of Big Walder's ambitions, I've done what I think is the order of succession of the Freys, down to Big Walder. It is working a lot on what Big Walder claims ie. that it is first the sons then the sons of the sons, then the daughters in the line of succession (which I have taken to mean, that the daughters share the inheritance between them, when the sons of a particular line are exhausted.)

3.    Edwyn
4.    Edwyn’s Walda*
5.    Black Walder (refuses to marry, rumoured to have relations with wives of 3,6 *=suspect paternity due to this)
7.    Perra*
9.    Walton
10.    Steffon the Sweet
11.    Bryan
12.    Fair Walda
14.    Ser Emmon
16.    Tywin
17.    Willem
18.    Ser Lyonel
20.    Red Walder

25.    Jonos
26.    White Walda

30.    Zia
32.    Kyra Goodbrook
 33.    Ser Hosteen
34.    Ser Arwood
35.    Androw
36.    Alyn
37.    Ryella, Hostella
39.    Alesander
40.    Bradamer
41.    Alyx
42.    Ser Danwell

47.    Ser Raymund Frey
50.    Jaime Frey
53.    Lame Lothar
55.    Jammos Frey
56.    Big Walder

So, there are only 28 people to die before Lady Bolton inherits the Twins, along with her two sisters. 46 still to die if Big Walder is to inherit.

There seems to be some errors in your order, Septon Luceon should be after his niece Kyra. Also you miss sons of the daughters. This one might be more accurate. And here's a complete list (in Chinese, but you can click on each name to visit their entries in the awoiaf wiki) including the dead, septons, etc.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:34 AM, Walda said:

Thank you.

3.    Edwyn
4.    Edwyn’s Walda*
7.    Perra*
9.    Walton
10.    Steffon the Sweet
11.    Bryan
12.    Fair Walda
14.    Ser Emmon
16.    Tywin
17.    Willem
18.    Ser Lyonel
20.    Red Walder

25.    Jonos
26.    White Walda

30.    Zia
32.    Kyra Goodbrook
33.    Ser Hosteen
34.    Ser Arwood
35.    Androw
36.    Alyn
37.    Ryella, Hostella
39.    Alesander
40.    Bradamer
41.    Alyx
42.    Ser Danwell

47.    Ser Raymund Frey
50.    Jaime Frey
53.    Lame Lothar
55.    Jammos Frey
56.    Big Walder

That's compellingly plausible. Love it.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:17 PM, Seams said:

It also interests me that Ned did not have singers come to Winterfell. I'm not sure where Sansa discovered her love of music without visiting singers, either.

This is simply not true:

A Feast for Crows - Sansa I

Once, when she was just a little girl, a wandering singer had stayed with them at Winterfell for half a year. An old man he was, with white hair and windburnt cheeks, but he sang of knights and quests and ladies fair, and Sansa had cried bitter tears when he left them, and begged her father not to let him go. "The man has played us every song he knows thrice over," Lord Eddard told her gently. "I cannot keep him here against his will. You need not weep, though. I promise you, other singers will come."

They hadn't, though, not for a year or more. Sansa had prayed to the Seven in their sept and old gods of the heart tree, asking them to bring the old man back, or better still to send another singer, young and handsome. But the gods never answered, and the halls of Winterfell stayed silent.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:54 PM, Seams said:

And Ned would have been born generations after that singer's visit. 

And again, nope. @Nowy Tends had that right.

On 7/10/2018 at 11:02 PM, zionius said:

Just came across explanation of GRRM:

Yeah, that was pretty much as I read the passage, because Roose was just casually flicking through the book, not reading it intently with a deeply meaningful expression on his face. It was little and less to him, so as much as I've enjoyed everyone's speculations about the book, it remains just that: speculation.

On 7/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, zionius said:

3.    Edwyn
4.    Edwyn’s Walda*
7.    Perra*
9.    Walton
10.    Steffon the Sweet
11.    Bryan
12.    Fair Walda
14.    Ser Emmon
16.    Tywin
17.    Willem
18.    Ser Lyonel
20.    Red Walder

25.    Jonos
26.    White Walda

30.    Zia
32.    Kyra Goodbrook
 33.    Ser Hosteen
34.    Ser Arwood
35.    Androw
36.    Alyn
37.    Ryella, Hostella
39.    Alesander
40.    Bradamer
41.    Alyx
42.    Ser Danwell

47.    Ser Raymund Frey
50.    Jaime Frey
53.    Lame Lothar
55.    Jammos Frey
56.    Big Walder

I disagree with your calculations here - outside Dorne ALL female claims come after ALL male-line claims are extinguished, so all of Old Walder's sons, grandsons and great-grandsons (in unbroken male lines) would have to go before Fat Walda got a look in. Unjust as it may be to our modern 21st century metrosexual thinking, Big Walder is a LONG way ahead of Fat Walda.

It is working a lot on what Big Walder claims ie. that it is first the sons then the sons of the sons, then the daughters in the line of succession (which I have taken to mean, that the daughters share the inheritance between them, when the sons of a particular line are exhausted.)

It gets even more complicated with more wives, because the son of second wife comes before the daughter of first wife, again just cos he's male.... and nothing is ever shared, there's always one who has the prior claim. If it comes down to daughters, it's still the oldest who inherits. You are not going to have a regnant Lady of the Crossing without an absolute bloodbath, as things stand.

3 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

I disagree with your calculations here - outside Dorne ALL female claims come after ALL male-line claims are extinguished, so all of Old Walder's sons, grandsons and great-grandsons (in unbroken male lines) would have to go before Fat Walda got a look in. Unjust as it may be to our modern 21st century metrosexual thinking, Big Walder is a LONG way ahead of Fat Walda.

It gets even more complicated with more wives, because the son of second wife comes before the daughter of first wife, again just cos he's male.... and nothing is ever shared, there's always one who has the prior claim. If it comes down to daughters, it's still the oldest who inherits. You are not going to have a regnant Lady of the Crossing without an absolute bloodbath, as things stand.

That is not how it works.  Remember the Karstark situation where Jon reminds people that a daughter comes before a brother.  In truth the situation depends on who has the most swords backing them, but legally it go's first son and on down the line, then first daughter and on down the line.  That is why Tyryion was being married to Sansa and why Ramsay was being married to Arya, they didn't go looking for some distant male cousins.

6 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

That is not how it works.  Remember the Karstark situation where Jon reminds people that a daughter comes before a brother.  In truth the situation depends on who has the most swords backing them, but legally it go's first son and on down the line, then first daughter and on down the line.  That is why Tyryion was being married to Sansa and why Ramsay was being married to Arya, they didn't go looking for some distant male cousins.

The Karstack pickle is irrelevant in this case because a brother is not a son... (you have to be clear whose brother Jon means). It would have been more accurate for Jon to have told Alys et al that a 'child comes before a sibling', because given that situation the gender was irrelevant.

Alys Karstark has no brothers now - the 'brother' she precedes is her father's brother, ie her uncle (who is therefore not in the direct line of descent of her father). Fat Walda doesn't have an uncle - but shedloads of brothers who ALL precede her, as do all of her brothers' sons.
It doesn't go down any daughter's line unless all the sons are dead (and their male lines) - and I was referring to the case where all claims are the children of the previous incumbent as was the case at the Twins. It would only go sideways to a 'brother' (ie uncle) if the previous incumbent had no surviving children (in which case Fat Walda disappears in a puff of logic anyway!).

Anyway, I absolutely agree with you on the most important point : sword-point is the ultimate decider :fencing:

4 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

The Karstack pickle is irrelevant in this case because a brother is not a son... (you have to be clear whose brother Jon means). It would have been more accurate for Jon to have told Alys et al that a 'child comes before a sibling', because given that situation the gender was irrelevant.

Alys Karstark has no brothers now - the 'brother' she precedes is her father's brother, ie her uncle (who is therefore not in the direct line of descent of her father). Fat Walda doesn't have an uncle - but shedloads of brothers who ALL precede her, as do all of her brothers' sons.
It doesn't go down any daughter's line unless all the sons are dead (and their male lines) - and I was referring to the case where all claims are the children of the previous incumbent as was the case at the Twins. It would only go sideways to a 'brother' (ie uncle) if the previous incumbent had no surviving children (in which case Fat Walda disappears in a puff of logic anyway!).

Anyway, I absolutely agree with you on the most important point : sword-point is the ultimate decider :fencing:

I believe I misunderstood what you were saying a bit originally.

Archived