‘Outlaw King’: Robert The Bruce Scottish Epic

AncalagonTheBlack

I didn't know this was a netflixen -- so maybe I won't drop the subscription just yet (but dayem -- commercials now, they want to do them, on top of their mountains of boring drek - and stop what I want to watch to rec me to watch the drek, that I never watch -- they NEVER rec me or alert me about any of the things I do love and watch such as The Last Kingdom, only stupid so-called stand up comedy, endless emo bs and rebooting of the 80's, which was awful and I hated in the 80's already!). 

The trailer is really vague.  If one doesn't know anything about Scot war of independence, Edward I, Edward II, etc., Bruce and excommunication, etc., it isn't giving clues, that's for sure.  This is something that would have worked better as a series, methinks. But they are putting this in some theaters too?  Wonder what their  thinking on this was, other than muddled.

Just now, Zorral said:

I didn't know this was a netflixen -- so maybe I won't drop the subscription just yet (but dayem -- commercials now, they want to do them, on top of their mountains of boring drek - and stop what I want to watch to rec me to watch the drek, that I never watch -- they NEVER rec me or alert me about any of the things I do love and watch such as The Last Kingdom, only stupid so-called stand up comedy, endless emo bs and rebooting of the 80's, which was awful and I hated in the 80's already!). 

The trailer is really vague.  If one doesn't know anything about Scot war of independence, Edward I, Edward II, etc., Bruce and excommunication, etc., it isn't giving clues, that's for sure.  This is something that would have worked better as a series, methinks. But they are putting this in some theaters too?  Wonder what their  thinking on this was, other than muddled.

Awards

"based on the untold true story". Wow they really went above and beyond getting hold of new accounts/archaeological evidence in order to tell us something no one has yet heard.

Besides that it looks quite good. It looks very different from hell or high water but that film impressed me enough to give this a try.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

"based on the untold true story". Wow they really went above and beyond getting hold of new accounts/archaeological evidence in order to tell us something no one has yet heard.

Besides that it looks quite good. It looks very different from hell or high water but that film impressed me enough to give this a try.

Yes, there were a bunch of lines thrown around designed for a general audience. Another example was Pine saying he has 50 men to fight the strongest army in the world. Okaayyy...

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Came here to post the trailer, beat me to it. 

This looks quite good. Now I'm not Scottish, so I've no idea how good or shitty Pine's accent is, but I liked everything else in this trailer.

It's certainly less jarring than Mel Gibson's attempt.

I agree it looks like a good trailer, maybe nothing spectacular but I think I'll definitely watch it.

From the trailer it does feel a bit like they may be making Bruce into an uncomplicated hero, which would seem like a shame because it simplifies the character a lot, but hopefully there's a bit more depth that isn't shown in the trailer.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Doesn't look particularly interesting to me tbh. Very by the numbers, like the definition of a film made because they think it's a subject people will latch onto rather than because someone really really had an idea to base the film around.

It's a shame as the limited amount I know about Robert the Bruce suggests they could easily make a TV show about him. I thought that's what was happening but must have got it mixed up with this film.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, there were a bunch of lines thrown around designed for a general audience. Another example was Pine saying he has 50 men to fight the strongest army in the world. Okaayyy...

We can only hope it's a trailer trying to grab the braveheart crowd and it isn't as corny throughout. I guess it depends how well travelled Robert was but I imagine even within Europe that would be a bold claim. I guess "strongest army in the British isles" isn't as catchy.

• 2 months later...

Watched this on Netflix last night. Very good indeed. Chris Pine has a penis, and manages a fairly decent Scots accent, sounding more Scottish, strangely, than many of his Scottish cast mates. :blink:

No doubt there'll be some grumbling amongst the historians, but they told a great story, the battle scenes were epic, and Stannis as Longshanks was simply perfect.

3 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Stannis as Longshanks was great. Wasnt happy with the way they portrayed his son. Lot of GoT people in this. I understand why Wallace was all off screen. worth the watch

He wasn't "all" off-screen, unless I really misinterpreted the inciting incident in the market square?

I'd forgotten there was an actual thread for this so will just paste my comments from the "watching" thread.

I enjoyed it (I took bigcatforward's advice and had a couple of beers). It could almost have been a sequel to braveheart in terms of where it picked up from and I got a dark laugh out of the William Wallace "cameo". Pine's accent was fine but I do wonder whether the 20 minutes cut from the final film was possibly more for character development as he didn't get much characterisation.

The final battle was great and I like when a battle is won by using the landscape as a weapon. Far more satisfying than the ridiculous actions in "battle of the bastards" where Jon Snow deserved to lose.

I liked the costumes and the fact the Scots weren't walking around in kilts all the time. That said Taylor Johnson's character seemed to be wearing a brown puffer jacket throughout.

I'm pleased they didn't shy away from Roberts murder of a rival on holy ground but they did seem to gloss over it as if it was a necessity. That aspect of his life always left me thinking there was a mob-like culture going on. Although medieval/feudal times essentially were gangsters where to be in power probably meant you were the most ruthless.

Initially disappointed when I realized the movie wasn't going to depict the battle of Bannockburn, but the more I think about it, the more I'm ok with that. It would be another 7 years until that happened from where the movie ended, and it wouldn't fit so well with the movie title. I do hope for a sequel to show that, but I don't know if Pine would be willing to reprise this role.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I liked the costumes and the fact the Scots weren't walking around in kilts all the time. That said Taylor Johnson's character seemed to be wearing a brown puffer jacket throughout.

They shouldn't be walking around with kilts at all in this time period, and I didn't notice any, so all good. I took Taylor Johnson's jacket as a gambeson/doublet outfit, and was ok with it.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm pleased they didn't shy away from Roberts murder of a rival on holy ground but they did seem to gloss over it as if it was a necessity. That aspect of his life always left me thinking there was a mob-like culture going on. Although medieval/feudal times essentially were gangsters where to be in power probably meant you were the most ruthless.

Robert was excommunicated by the pope for that. I don't know how accurate it was that the bishops of Scotland forgave him for it, but considering he was indeed crowned after the murder, I guess some of them must have been.

36 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Initially disappointed when I realized the movie wasn't going to depict the battle of Bannockburn, but the more I think about it, the more I'm ok with that. It would be another 7 years until that happened from where the movie ended, and it wouldn't fit so well with the movie title. I do hope for a sequel to show that, but I don't know if Pine would be willing to reprise this role.

They shouldn't be walking around with kilts at all in this time period, and I didn't notice any, so all good. I took Taylor Johnson's jacket as a gambeson/doublet outfit, and was ok with it.

Robert was excommunicated by the pope for that. I don't know how accurate it was that the bishops of Scotland forgave him for it, but considering he was indeed crowned after the murder, I guess some of them must have been.

The ones who didn't want to die, at least

What was the problem with the depiction of the feckless, hapless Prince Edward / Edward II?

My other comments are in the Watching thread too.

And, this:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/nov/10/netflix-scotland-outlaw-king-tourism

“The uplift places such as this get from television shows like Outlander is amazing, and we’re expecting the same from Outlaw King,” said Murray yesterday. “Sometimes, though, we get tourists from overseas who ask to see specific rooms where some of the scenes were shot, and we have to explain that they don’t actually exist. But this is such a beautiful and interesting building that they soon get wrapped up in it.”

Archived