NFL 2017 - The Afterdraft

Howdyphillip

So Cutler hits the booth as well. Romo I can picture, but Cutler looks like the miserable bastard at the bar that picks a fight with you because he put his quarters down on the pool table first. Can't see any charisma there. I don't see this as a good fit at all. 

10 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

So Cutler hits the booth as well. Romo I can picture, but Cutler looks like the miserable bastard at the bar that picks a fight with you because he put his quarters down on the pool table first. Can't see any charisma there. I don't see this as a good fit at all. 

I don't know, Romo seems so whitebread. I think I might kind of dig a contrarian in the booth.

Play by Play guy: WHAT A GRAB BY ALSHON JEFFERY OVER THE MIDDLE! What do you think, Jay?

Jay: Meh. I've seen better. *Lights a smoke*

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't know, Romo seems so whitebread. I think I might kind of dig a contrarian in the booth.

Play by Play guy: WHAT A GRAB BY ALSHON JEFFERY OVER THE MIDDLE! What do you think, Jay?

Jay: Meh. I've seen better. *Lights a smoke*

Lol yes I could be completely wrong. I hope I am. Early prediction is he'll suck but that's never stopped me from watching an NFL game.

Cutler was the quarterback at Vanderbilt when I was a student there. I remember at a fraternity party during his sophomore year (this was before he was considered an NFL prospect, and instead was the QB on a god awful football team no one cared about) and he was hitting on two girls the whole night. At the end of the night he more or less said, so are y'all coming home with me, to which they said no. He then asked then pulled the "do you know who I am card", to which they responded "yes" and walked off. It was hysterical, although I bet they are kicking themselves now.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:20 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I've seen a bunch of posts from Bears fans claiming that he's hilarious in post-game pressers. I'm not sure if they mean ironically or intentionally, but now I'm curious.

I will watch him under two conditions. he needs to be chain smoke and he has to throw back a glass of scotch every time there's a turnover. 

Scot McCloughin gives an interview about the Redskins that is a lot more positive than I would have expected.

“You know, it’s too bad what happened here, but it was mutual,” he told Paulsen and Rouhier. “And there’s a lot of good people in this organization, from the ownership down throughout he whole building. Players, coaches and Dan [Snyder] was nothing but great to us. It just didn’t work out. And as you guys are well aware, it’s a big business and it just didn’t work out. I hate leaving there because I’ve got so many close friends, not just guys that I drafted but there’s a lot of good people.”

McCloughan said many players and coaches and front office staffers have reached out to him since his firing, and that “it’s not a bad relationship whatsoever.” He said he hated that this was the end result, but that “I treated them fairly, they treated me fairly, and that’s what it’s about.”

McCloughan comes across really well here taking the high road.  But I also think that he's going above and beyond, not just avoiding saying anything negative, but actually saying a lot of positive things about the organization and leadership.  I have trouble believing he would go to such lengths if this were all to try and position himself to get another NFL job in the future.  I don't know if this changes your opinion any @Jaime L, but it gives credence to the "this is a partnership that just didn't work" interpretation as opposed to "The Redskins screwed over their GM in the scummiest way possible."

Hernandez had his conviction overturned today.  

Maybe one of you law types can answer me this.  If the actual trial is insufficient to warrant maintaining his conviction upon his death before mandatory appeals are resolved, why is it sufficient to imprison him while those same appeals are open?  

This is a fun story. The Colts have hired some former military guy to help them screen players, presumably to look for the kind of player who believes unironically in giving 110% on the field. This guy used to help the military screen Green Beret applicants.

Here's the thing: this guy worked for the Browns and supposedly helped them evaluate 2014 draft prospects. Go look up what kind of motivated ass-kickers the Browns drafted that year.

Spoiler

Justin Gilbert

Johnny Manziel

http://deadspin.com/colts-hire-ex-military-guy-to-do-advanced-grit-science-1795056853

52 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Hernandez had his conviction overturned today.  

Maybe one of you law types can answer me this.  If the actual trial is insufficient to warrant maintaining his conviction upon his death before mandatory appeals are resolved, why is it sufficient to imprison him while those same appeals are open?  

Pretty sure it's a state vs. federal law issue. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just heard an interview on the Le Batard show that makes it unmistakably clear that Kaepernick is getting blackballed. He has not received a single call from any team in the league. 

I wonder what it would take to get his name white-listed again... Or did I answer my own question?

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maybe take a conservative religious stance like Tebow? 

The kneeling could be confusing though - is he celebrating god or disrespecting the military?

5 minutes ago, Week said:

The kneeling could be confusing though - is he celebrating god or disrespecting the military?

That begs a more serious question. Who disrespects the military more, Kaep for kneeling to end police brutality and racism in the judicial system or the NFL gouging the military so they can advertise at games? 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That begs a more serious question. Who disrespects the military more, Kaep for kneeling to end police brutality and racism in the judicial system or the NFL gouging the military so they can advertise at games? 

If only it was so clear to all of the idiot NFL fans and talking heads ... Cowherd, etc.

I would be surprised - but then I remember the good christian who was voted in as president. 

6 minutes ago, Week said:

If only it was so clear to all of the idiot NFL fans and talking heads ... Cowherd, etc.

I would be surprised - but then I remember the good christian who was voted in as president. 

Also remember, the herb is bad, now go drink a beer. Oh, and taxing the poor for billion dollar stadiums for billionaires is how capitalism works.

:unsure:

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also remember, the herb is bad, now go drink a beer. Oh, and taxing the poor for billion dollar stadiums for billionaires is how capitalism works.

:unsure:

You know, I can understand giving them certain benefits as long as it truly is a net positive for the city, but it's gotten out of hand.  A University of Houston economics professor did an estimate for one event (particularly large) event alone will bring to the City in direct revenue (fees for the rodeo, and sales taxes on items sold at the rodeo) over the 30 year lease between the event and the city.  Discounted to present value, that was $800M+ of revenue for the city.  

So Houston at least could justify spending a few hundred million and legitimately expect a return without praying for the much harder to quantify benefits that allegedly come from an NFL stadium.  I'm also not aware of anything quite like the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo that any other NFL stadium has (roughly 2.5 million people attend every year, and I'm not sure if that includes the 1M+ concertgoers), so it's also not something you can really apply to other cities.  

If the city gets legitimate use out of the stadium, I actually agree with the argument that they should foot some of the bill.  But it certainly shouldn't exceed the (discounted), clear cut use the stadium is going to get.  Once you start going into the realm of this will cause this much revenue from people staying overnight and eating out, you've gone off the track though.

On a slightly related note, I was actually surprised to learn how little the Packers make ($40 something million profit in 2015 on $400M revenue).  Don't know how indicative they are of a regular NFL team on the financial front, but it's the only one with publicly released data (that I can't find outside 1,000,000 foot view news articles).  

Archived