Which is your favourite Westerosi House and why?

crowcrow

Wow, I'm surprised how many people like Daynes so much. I guess I'm not alone in this after all. But  as much as i like the Daynes, the Starks will forever be my #1. something about their honour and good nature just warms me up to them so idk...

Targaryen.  I am a Targ loyalists all the way.  I love their history.  Many of the people that I like are either Targaryens or Targaryen allies.  I like Daenerys and Aegon I.  Their supporters like Bloodraven, Barristan, Greyworm, Jorah, I love them all.  The Targaryens put the fantasy, the magic, the glamour, and the wonderful in the story.  They are the Kennedy family of the song of ice and fire.  

*I do not consider Jon a Targaryen

If you don't count the major ones, I love house Manderly. I want to see more if them. Especially Wyman's granddaughters. Wylla is amazing and I want to know more about Wynafred. And Wyman himself is just great as well. His speech in ADWD is one of the best.

The other northern houses are great as well. Especially House Mormont, those ladies are awesome.

I love House Blackwood as well. Their sigil is really cool. Same goes for the Mallisters.

I actually like all the major houses, and a lot of the minor ones as well. But my favourite is probably still House Stark, followed by the Martells.

From the major houses, Martells are my favourites.

On Invalid Date at 4:26 PM, Wintersfae said:

I love house Manderly. I want to see more if them. Especially Wyman's granddaughters. Wylla is amazing and I want to know more about Wynafred. And Wyman himself is just great as well. His speech in ADWD is one of the best.

Agree.

I also love Velaryons (good seat and sigil, great people like Corlys Velaryon, and Aurane Waters is also cool)

And I like Santagars just because of their sigil.

Above them all, my own family, House Blackwood of Raventree Hall. 

On 2017-05-09 at 4:33 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

Targaryen.  I am a Targ loyalists all the way.  I love their history.  Many of the people that I like are either Targaryens or Targaryen allies.  I like Daenerys and Aegon I.  Their supporters like Bloodraven, Barristan, Greyworm, Jorah, I love them all.  The Targaryens put the fantasy, the magic, the glamour, and the wonderful in the story.  They are the Kennedy family of the song of ice and fire.  

*I do not consider Jon a Targaryen

+1

• 7 months later...

my list

1. targaryens - while i don't like dany herself too much, i think the targs have the richest, most interesting, most badass words, colors, history, and traditions. they were just minor people in valyria though. if there was some other powerful well known valyrian family i would have them on the list too. highlights include aegon VI, aegon the conqueror, visenya, rhaenys, rhaegar and the dragonknight. even villains like the mad king. how can anyone deny their influence, their conquering history, their dragons. the definition of cool 

2. blackfyres - black dragons. golden company is super cool, aegon VI could be one of them, plus daemon blackfyre was a badass and a great general. they pretty much are targaryens already so thats my rationale for that. 

3. arryns - they have a cool sigil, colors and proud knightly tradition. plus they helped out the starks in BotB. their whole army is still fresh and untouched so whoever can gain their allegiance

4. greyjoys - badass, gruff, hard men. basically the vikings of fantasy, with a strong seabased tradition of raiding and plundering anyone who gets in their way. 

5. boltons - i appreciate their struggle to be free of the starks and to be the powerful red kings of old. it really could have been them ruling the northerners for thousands of years. evil as hell, creepy, and sneaky. plus roose is a badass. 

6. freys - conniving, smart and sneaky. theyre meant to be hated but i guess i just have a good opinion of underdog villains and rivermen in general. plus they are the most powerful tully bannermen. 

7. lannisters - again like the targaryens, they have a host of interesting people in their past and present. mostly the present generation under tywin. cersei as a villain is very interesting and entertaining. 

8. hoare - ironborn, so that alone is pretty much my rationale here. bunch of viking badasses, and the greatest conquerors that the ironborn had ever seen. 

9. harlaws - another villain house. more ironborn. cool sigil, rodrik's a badass.

10. drumms - for same reasoning as harlaws.

On 4/30/2017 at 10:52 AM, Reva said:

Is it the Starks, Lannisters, Targaryens and etc? Just really curious :)

I love House Targayen because it is the house of Daenerys.  They're beautiful, fascinating, smart, and have noble lineage dating back to the Freehold of Valyria.  And they ride dragons.

Starks. Warging into direwolves is so cool. Not that warging is their right exclusively, but reading about this connection does the magic trick in the story for me, especially in Bran's chapters. His dreams and visions are awesome. 

Notable mentions:

Velaryons- Valyrian heritage and cool sigil, sworn to Dragonstone, Greyjoys-insane and creepy but mystical as they come, that cracken is badass to the bone. Their all members' POV's are a great read.

I'm on team Stannis, but in terms of overall favorite house I've got to go with Lannister.  Plenty of interesting characters both good and bad, and the house is a realistic size with all the cadet branches for a dynastic family... it still blows my mind how the Starks, Targs, Baratheons, and a few others were on the precipice of being eliminated, and sort of annoyed me with how unrealistic that is.

On 4/30/2017 at 4:39 PM, Sigella said:

Targaryen and Dayne. We like them purple eyes.

:)

On 4/30/2017 at 10:52 AM, Reva said:

Is it the Starks, Lannisters, Targaryens and etc? Just really curious :)

It is an easy choice for me.  The Targaryens.  I can't say that I like every member of the family.  I don't like Rhaegar.  I do love Dany and I think she would make a fine ruling Queen of Westeros. 

I also like houses Dayne, Martell, Darry, Thorne, and Tyrell - because I believe they will support the restoration of the Targaryens. 

Manderly.  They have an interesting backstory (refugees taken in far from home), and are one of the few concrete examples we have of a noble House using it's wealth, institutional knowledge, and prestige in order to actively improve their holding.  By which I mean, they start as a riverrine House on the Mander, get booted, and then use their knowledge of trade and such to actually found a successful port city.  In the present day, they're one of the few Houses with the desire and ability to raise a navy, or start a mint, speaking to a technical level of competence in governance that many/most other Houses don't exhibit.

Also, they're loyal, and institutionally so.  The entire family seems to have been imbued with the idea that they owe the Starks fealty for an act of kindness done in the unimaginable past, but which is still real to them, and I appreciate that.  Sure, they jockey for power and influence like any other noble House, but when push comes to shove they are loyal and grateful.

I mean... those are great reasons to like a House.  Instead of, say, the Daynes, the only information on which we get is that they have a cool magic sword and most members of the House we've met are hypocritical assholes (all but Ashara Dayne).  That is a pretty immature reason.

House Blackwood; they have a cool sigil, they're the only known Old Gods worshipper's in the South, Tytos Blackwood is awesome and they're among the few houses that don't immediately bend the knee after the RW. Since I'm big on loyalty, that's a massive bonus. They've also got some cool historical members as well; Bloody Ben, Black Aly and Red Robb Rivers.

I'm also rather fond of the Manderly's and Dondarion's.

House Targaryen. They have the best story. Heritage from valyria, the last dragonriders, dragon dreams, prophets, warriors, kings. They have extraordinary appearance and managed to unite the Westerosi kingdoms under their rule for the first time. I don't consider Jon a Targeryan.

I also like House Tyrell. The better ,kinder , nicer Lannisters.

Archived