The fate of the Great Houses

I'm talking about all of the Great Houses that we've had so far in the books: Stark, Lannister, Tully, Tyrell, Martell, Baratheon, Arryn, Targaryen, Greyjoy, Hightower, Bolton, Frey (they hold Riverrun, so I count them), and Baelish.

Which of these houses will be extinguished and which shall endure to the end of the series?

Baelish, Greyjoy, and Targaryen will be extinguished. The others will survive, even if it's through an illegitimate child like Edric Storm turned legitimate by one of the several monarchs still vying for power.

6 hours ago, James Steller said:

Baelish, Greyjoy, and Targaryen will be extinguished. The others will survive, even if it's through an illegitimate child like Edric Storm turned legitimate by one of the several monarchs still vying for power.

Seems legit. I don't know if Bolton makes it out and I think Greyjoy (through Asha) will stick around. 

10 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I'm talking about all of the Great Houses that we've had so far in the books: Stark, Lannister, Tully, Tyrell, Martell, Baratheon, Arryn, Targaryen, Greyjoy, Hightower, Bolton, Frey (they hold Riverrun, so I count them), and Baelish.

Which of these houses will be extinguished and which shall endure to the end of the series?

Stark will survive, maybe only through the female line (Sansa)

Lannister will go extinct.

Tully will go extinct I fear

Tyrell, I don't know, but probably extinct as well.

Martell will go extinct. Some Sand Snakes (specifically Alleras) will survive, maybe GRRM will spare Trystane, but probably not

Baratheon will survive only through the bastard line (Edric Storm)

Targaryen will go extinct

Greyjoy will survive through the female line (Asha)

Hightower will go extinct

Bolton will go extinct

Frey will survive through Big Walder

Martin has hinted that not all the Great Houses will make it through the series. I suspect either one or two will be extinguished (or at least lose their seats).

Definite survivors: Houses Stark and Lannister. I think it is clear that these Houses will survive, in the case of House Lannister either through Tyrion, or through one of the Lannister cousins inheriting Casterly Rock. I don't see House Lannister losing control of the West.

As for the rest: Anything can happen.

The Starks and Lannisters will end up surviving. Tyrion will survive but he won't have legitimate children, but cousins and second cousins will continue the line. At least some of the Freys will survive. Those are the only three houses that I'm certain will survive. 

10 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Tyrell, I don't know, but probably extinct as well.

There are lots of Tyrell cousins, they will not go extint, even if all the main branch dies.

13 hours ago, Tralalala said:

I hope Boltons and Freys stay alive

There are just two Boltons, and Roose doesn't want more sons.

The Starks will survive; they are the main characters.  It may only be through the female line.  If so, the children will take the Stark name.

Lannister, Tyrell, Frey, and Hightower will survive, although some may only do so through collateral lines.  All the families are so big it is hard to see them entirely dying out by the end of the story.

Bolton will survive through Jeyne Poole's son with Ramsay (I think she's pregnant).

Baratheon will survive through Edric Storm.

Baelish consists only of Littlefinger, so it's gone

Others I'm not sure about.  Martell, Tully, and Arryn are all in serious danger, though.

My guestimations:

Stark - Yeah, they are going to make it. I can see Jon, Rickon and maybe Arya die, but Bran and Sansa are the 2 surest bets for survival among all PoW. Most of our protagonists are Starks and I doubt GRRM aims for a tragedy.

Lannister - Another more or less sure candidate for survival. There are simply too many of them and you also have them on different sides. If not Jaime and Cersei make it (they won´t) then certainly Tyrion has a good shot. And if he somehow ends up dead then Varys might pull something with Tyrek or maybe some siblings (which there are many) inherits. They simply have too many outs.

Tully - Hmm, I could see they surviving this and even getting Riverrun back. The most likely result is their deaths or non-restoration however. Because, who want the Tullys back really? Not Tommen, not Stannis, not Aegon, not Daenerys and maybe not even the Starks. I give them 25% chance of making it and getting Riverrun back, but even in that case they will be stripped of their lord paramountship.

Tyrell - Tricky. On one hand they are in a strong position and have few "mortal enemies" but on one hand they are next up to be attacked. Aegon will most likely kill Mace but there are still many Tyrells left, so unless they get stripped of highgarden (somewhat unlikely), they should survive (there are too many of them to easily kill off). I could see them being replaced as Lord paramount however, depending on their stance towards Daenerys. 75% in favor of them making it.

Martell - They are going to make it. Arianne will unfortunately and tragically die, but I think Trystane will make it and becoming the new ruler.

Baratheon - They are 100% goners (thankfully!). Edric might survive, but there is no way in hell that he will be legitimized and given Storm´s End. All sides in this conflict apart from Stannis and Tommen (neither who will win) has an interest in punishing the Baratheons for their usurpation. Stannis might also survive, but in that case he will end his days as LC of the Night´s watch. Bye bye - I won´t miss you.

Arryn - Sweetrobin is in huge problems, but since Harry the Heir will just take the Arryn name it won´t matter - if he lives that is. They should have been fine if it hadn´t been for Littlefinger and his plots. As it is, I am 50/50 with maybe a slight advantage for survival.

Targaryen - They are most certainly going to make it. Daenerys might die in childbirth, but the Targaryen monarchy will be restored - making that child ruler of the Realm and head of the house. Yes, regardless of gender - Daenerys are going to change that pesky anti-female tradition.

Greyjoy - Hmm, there are many of them, but I can see they getting stripped of Pyke. Then again, someone need to rule those islands. Asha has decent chance, but I can see her die and a new dynasty taking over. 50/50 with a slight favor of them gone...permanently.

Hightower - They will make it. Indeed, their machinations has only recently started and I think its clear that GRRM wanted them boosted, by the focus they have gotten in more recent books. I could see them becoming new lord paramounts and I very much doubt that their tower and their city will fall to the Ironborn. And no one really seems to hate them either. That they have been laying low is to their advantage.

Bolton - Almost certainly dead as a doornail. Roose and Ramsay is certainly not going to make it and even if Fat Waldas child survives (small chance), I cant see any reason the the victorious Targaryen-Stark alliance will give that child Dreadfort.

Frey - They have hell in front of them and have made many, many enemies. Their crime is so great that even neutral characters like Daenerys simply can´t let what they have done stand. The question is if they will be stripped of the Twins or just many, many executions. But I think the chance of their death and removal as a house is at least 90%.

Baelish - 100% destruction. Time to Petyr to pay up for all the deaths and suffering. He is a high-risk gambler that GRRM has been kind to so far. But his luck won´t hold and he has really pushed it to the limit. Like Jons luck, it simply won´t go on. I certainly won´t miss him.

Some house hatred in here. 2 cents incoming.

Stark - Something will survive here. I can't help but think of the original title for the final book. A Time for Wolves, or whatever it was. Jon legitimized. Or Sansa with her husband taking the Stark name (who wouldn't happily do that?). I still hold out hope for Rickon returning. Whatever. A stark will be in Winterfell at the end. 100%

Lannister - I dunno. There are a lot of them, like others have said. But... Why can't they go the way of the Tarbecks and Reynes? I'd certainly cheer for it. As much as I love Tyrion, I've no desire to see him sitting in Casterly Rock. Still, 90%

Tully - Coin toss. Why keep Edmure alive so long, and on the periphery? Don't really care either way. 50%

Tyrell - Too many of them. No chance of total annihilation. 100%

Martell - Risky bet on this one. But with their penchant for bastards, women inheriting, etc. I think they make it. 75%

Baratheon - Not bloody likely. Maybe Edric marries Arya/Sansa, and takes the Stark name, thus keeping the LINE alive, but not the house. But I think the family is done. Shame. 25%

Arryn - Tough call. Jon Arryn's line will be done. No doubt. But, will someone step in and claim it, like Harry? 50%

Targaryen - God I hope they're done. Doubt it, though. 50%

Greyjoy - Who cares.... 50%

Hightower - Who are they, again? 25%

Bolton - Ugh. 10%

Frey - Too many of em. No way to kill em all. 100%

Baelish - Well..... He hasn't put a kid on anyone yet... Is a widower... Has no real allies.... 0%

Given the Lannister (Andal), Targaryen (Valyrian, immigrated Essosi) and Stark (First Men) seems to be the main Houses and provide a representation of the mix of the population of the Seven Kingdoms, I would think that these three will either survive or go out in a blaze of glory. Given that I've heard that Cersei may regain power I would think that House Lannister will go out in a blaze of grand madness while the Starks and Targaryens may got out in a blaze to save the world. 

The rest of them may live or die. But given the presence of karma in Westeors I would think that the Tyrells' coat turning will come to bite them in the ass, just like the Freys and Boltons. The Tully may or may not get everything back as fitting a fairy tale ending but the Baratheons and Greyjoys are probably done for unless a holder of the Iron Throne would bring them back into power, given Euron's madness and Stannis less than favorable position.

And in regards to the Martell I have always thought that "Dorne" rhymes with "mourn" and so I would expect them to actually destroy themselves and bring even more misery on their own House in their quest for vengeance (although I can't claim to have come up with the Dorne=mourn rhyme myself but I've forgotten who made that connection in the first place). Vengeance being a bad thing does seem to be a trend in this series so I think that their storyline will go with that, and probably be tied up with JonCon's storyline with is also driven by the vengeance theme.

I think it is quite obvious that house Arryn won't survive.......which means they are gonna survive for sure (LOL)

If I had to guess which great house will go extinct, I'd vote for house Baratheon, because the only surviving members are Stannis and Shireen, which are not likely to stay alive until the end of the series

"A Song of Ice and Fire" is about the Targaryen family and their dynasty.  They are the family most likely to survive.  Fire, light, ice, and dark are natural forces that exists and will continue to exists otherwise it's a static world.  Martin created a feudal world with magic, dragons, and prophecies.  I do not picture him destroying that world.  It would not be ASOIAF without those elements.  The Starks will survive too in the form of Rickon and Bran surviving.  Bran can't reproduce so it's up to Rickon to spread his seed around.  Fire and ice will continue to exist.  Dany and Aegon will procreate even if they don't love one another for the sake of the dynasty.  Dany will find more dragon eggs and they will guarantee future generations of dragons. 

The Boltons, Arryns, Baratheons will die off.  They are few and they're in the middle of war.  That's bad odds.  The Greyjoys will die off and another family will rule the iron isles.  Too many Freys for them all to perish.  The same goes for the Lannisters though the main Lannister line will die off with the deaths of Jaime, Cersei, Lancel, and Tyrion.  The majority of northern houses will go extinct because they are on the path of the WW.  That's a no-brainer.  They will die off.  Most of the casualties will be in the north. 

On 5/4/2017 at 9:45 PM, Intel XEON said:

Most of the casualties will be in the north. 

I doubt that. The south is about to explode. Euron from the west, the Dornish from the south, Aegon and Mace in the Stormlands, the Vale in the east, and the Riverlands caught in the middle as always.

All of Westeros is going to burn before the end.

Lannister and Stark will be the only ones who survive. Targaryen will die out since Dany can't have children and Aegon is surely going to die (and he's clearly a Blackfyre). Every other Great House will die out one way or another. New houses will take over, singing songs about the second long night which nearly saw the victory of the Others.

Archived