Californian Woes

Sivin

My folks moved to San Francisco last week and my mom keeps complaining that the damn hippies are 'too nice' and have 'too many festivals'. 

I'm having fun listening to her griping, considering most suthurn folk accuse liberals of being uppity and rude.

16 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

My folks moved to San Francisco last week and my mom keeps complaining that the damn hippies are 'too nice' and have 'too many festivals'. 

I'm having fun listening to her griping, considering most suthurn folk accuse liberals of being uppity and rude.

They move to the City proper, or the Burbs? If it's the former, they must be doing quite well financially. Housing prices in the City are absolutely insane.

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

She is upset that people are "too nice"?  Would she rather they be rude?

She doesn't like how 'they just get a kick out of my funny shirt' and aren't interested in complaining about everything in life apparently.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

They move to the City proper, or the Burbs? If it's the former, they must be doing quite well financially. Housing prices in the City are absolutely insane.

They're staying in the outskirts I think. Dad is in charge of some expansion inside the Tesla factory for the next year.

He's making that paper, but I don't know if he's making that 2 bed 1 bath downtown San Fran paper.

6 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

She doesn't like how 'they just get a kick out of my funny shirt' and aren't interested in complaining about everything in life apparently.

They're staying in the outskirts I think. Dad is in charge of some expansion inside the Tesla factory for the next year.

He's making that paper, but I don't know if he's making that 2 bed 1 bath downtown San Fran paper.

Oh nice. Yeah, if he's working for Tesla I imagine he's doing just fine.

Tell your mom to give it time. She will find plenty of folks who are willing to bitch and moan if she lends an ear.

19 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Has she complained about having to pay for shopping bags yet? When my mother and I visited for my brothers graduation, that annoyed the crap out of her. 

That's a great in for Winter Fox's mom! Just get someone started on that, provided they are not packing a hemp shoulder bag or something.

35 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's a great in for Winter Fox's mom! Just get someone started on that, provided they are not packing a hemp shoulder bag or something.

Actually she liked that!

10 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Actually she liked that!

Hmmm. Damn. I guess it's a know your audience sort of thing. If she wants to get a hippie going she could start talking about how much she admires Trump, or how she's going to Black Angus for dinner or something.

(NSFW)

On 5/5/2017 at 2:39 PM, WinterFox said:

How can hippies afford to live in San Francisco.  The cost of living is outrageous.  Wait, maybe it's better that I don't know

She should meet my sister (who is in the East Bay, right across the bridge). She's pretty liberal, but likes to complain. And act superior. My sister is great with the superior attitude. ;)

I feel like I'm dealing with the opposite of this as I've moved from John Lewis' district to the heart of trumpland.  Everyone is just so nice although there aren't nearly enough festivals.

The spell ends up shattering fairly quick, though.  Neighbor comes to introduce themselves and welcome me and even brings me a gift.  Then the next day I see them driving in a car decked out in confederate flags and stickers.  I'll be talking to the cashier in the check out line and she's just the nicest ever and gives me recommendations for places to see and shops to go to and I see her the next time and so so nice but then BAM out of nowhere comes an insanely homophobic comment. 

12 hours ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

How can hippies afford to live in San Francisco.  The cost of living is outrageous.  Wait, maybe it's better that I don't know

I doubt if Winter Fox's mother's definition of "hippy" has much to do with income. I imagine clothing and hair style, and perhaps a few expressed positive opinions on legalized marijuana or saving rainforests, would be enough to earn someone the "hippy" label no matter what their financial status was.

If your dad's job is at Tesla, most likely they're in Fremont or nearby. It's a little under 30 miles from San Francisco and a whole different world from the city. Also, it's a looong commute on BART to get there; the bf of a friend of mine had a temp job on their assembly line and it took him so long to get to work, he ended up rooming with co workers nearby on days he worked.

ETA: Rents have exploded in the last 5 years or so, but not surprisingly, it's even worse in San Jose and Sillycon Valley. Also, if WinterFox's parents still have a car, chances are they're living outside the city. San Francisco has really good public transit, at least by US standards and parking here is NYC levels of awful.

I don't live in SF but just a short Bart and freeway drive away and while I'm not a hippie and one could argue about wherever or not I'm nice, I could certainly complain to her about the commuting, cost of rents, weather and the best festival of all is not found in California. 

But I doubt I'll ever run into her, so there is that.

Archived