Star Wars Novels/Graphical Novels 2

TheRevanchist

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh God, the animated movie...

The score that Karl Preusser wrote (which I quite enjoy) seems to be the only upside to this animated film, from what I've been told (having not seen it).

31 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah you probably got that from me. I have the CD.

It is a most boss soundtrack. From what I've read, it's regularly stated as being the only redeemable thing about the movie. (Although that said, the voice acting talents on display here are impressive! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance:_Dragons_of_Autumn_Twilight)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 10:05 AM, Werthead said:

This was the original plan, but apparently J.J. Abrams made a stipulation of the point that he wanted to write and do anything he wanted without censure, so the Story Group's function changed from keeping things consistent to cleaning up the mess caused by writers unfamiliar with the setting. So rather than the Story Group supplying the name for a Sith planet or suggesting ideas arising from previous material, Abrams would just come up with some asspull and the Story Group had to make it consistent retroactively.

They did the same thing with Lucas, but Lucas at least allowed a bit more give-and-take and did use Story Group material and suggestions. Abrams and the new team really do not give a shit.

It's why they can scream about the new books, comics and video games being canon and counting as much as they want. They do not. At all.

@Wertheaddo you have a source for that? Not t hat I don;t believe you, but I want to use it to fling at other people in an argument on another site. :P

There's a big major super wtf even going on in the Darth Vader comic right now that Marvel/Lucasfilm is insisting is canon SO HARD I feel kind of bad for them.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

@Wertheaddo you have a source for that? Not t hat I don;t believe you, but I want to use it to fling at other people in an argument on another site. :P

There's a big major super wtf even going on in the Darth Vader comic right now that Marvel/Lucasfilm is insisting is canon SO HARD I feel kind of bad for them.

Out of curiosity whets happening in the comic?

The only written SW works I bother with now are the new Thrawn books, which Zahn wrote in a way that they fit into the old and new EU

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

A good example is here. And obviously watching the films, and noting that Abrams pulled a new Sith planet out of his arse (Exegol) when they could have used any one of several previously established planets in lore (Korriban/Pesegam being a key example) and about twenty thousand other things.

38 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

At this point SWs stories are just choose your own adventure.  Pick the stories and timelines that work for you.  Anything is possible and everything you don't like just happened in an Alternative Universe.

So...head canon, basically?

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

So...head canon, basically?

Initially I was thinking less of reading between the lines and more of just choosing among the stories that were at one point put out officially by those with the license to do so which may or may not be "official" anymore.  So between all the movies and books and comics and tv shows that have been put out under first Lucas and then Disney - chose whichever stories work best for you.  To the extent there are contradictions and variations between them, it does venture into headcanon territory since you are choosing between them. But I wasn't thinking of making up new things myself or writing fanfiction. I mean I got tired of being so bummed over the stories we got in movies 8 and 9 when there were other stories out there about some of these same characters I enjoyed more so I decided to stop being bummed and go with what made me feel joy for SWs again.

19 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I mean I got tired of being so bummed over the stories we got in movies 8 and 9 when there were other stories out there about some of these same characters I enjoyed more so I decided to stop being bummed and go with what made me feel joy for SWs again.

You made me think of a great line that I - or others - could use: "canon may come and go, but we'll always have Kyle Katarn".

Archived