Star Wars Novels/Graphical Novels 2

TheRevanchist

On 2/28/2020 at 6:26 AM, lady narcissa said:

At this point SWs stories are just choose your own adventure.  Pick the stories and timelines that work for you.  Anything is possible and everything you don't like just happened in an Alternative Universe.

So, exactly the same way we read The Bible.

On 2/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Just ... wow.

When they resurrected Darth Maul I thought it was pretty dumb, but Filoni made it work (eventually) and gave him a more interesting and fulfilling story arc with a better resolution, so it worked out in the end. It's still fairly hard to swallow even by Star Wars standards though.

This makes the return of Darth Maul look like a completely plausible, rational thing to have occurred. Unless it's a massive fake-out, it's pure, unadulterated bullshit.

51 minutes ago, Werthead said:

When they resurrected Darth Maul I thought it was pretty dumb, but Filoni made it work (eventually) and gave him a more interesting and fulfilling story arc with a better resolution, so it worked out in the end. It's still fairly hard to swallow even by Star Wars standards though.

This makes the return of Darth Maul look like a completely plausible, rational thing to have occurred. Unless it's a massive fake-out, it's pure, unadulterated bullshit.

They’ll have to go some to make it dumber than her death . I’m sure they’ll manage it.

Was initially disappointed they brought Maul back, but I liked how the Solo film basically trolled anyone with no knowledge of the animated shows. People either shocked he’s alive, or raging that no further Solo films mean his appearance is not resolved. When Rebels already ties it up.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Indeed. From memory

Spoiler

Doesn’t Revenge feature her open-casket funeral procession?

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Filoni did wonders crafting what felt like a B, if not C plot, and then had it all lead to the magnificent Rebels episode 'Twin Suns'. 

Though I do wish we'd gotten Peter Serafinowicz back as the voice actor for Maul (used in the tone poems produced for the marketing of Episode I), as I liked the sound of his voice.  

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ha, yeah if you read up on his experience filming Episode I...no way in hell will that man do anything even remotely Star Wars related ever again.

...I think you're thinking of actor Ray Park? (Peter did the voice acting - Park did the physical acting.)

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Nope. Ray Park played him again in Solo and goes to every fan convention, loves Star Wars.

Oh I know that. 

But this is the guy who voiced him in Episode I, and in that lovely little tone poem used in the marketing (but which did not, to the best of my knowledge, ever get used in the film itself): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Serafinowicz

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Right. He recorded like over an hour of dialogue for the film, and was uh, not happy with the final cut lets say.

Just did some reading up on him - the guy did the voice work for Darth Maul in Solo as well. 

...And had it replaced with Sam Witwer's voice-over (voiceover? Is that hyphenated?) work instead.

Oh wow.

I get the reasoning, that they wanted to use Solo to get people interested in watching Clone Wars and Rebels (after both had already finished, which was a bit odd but okay), but given that Witwer was doing a Serafinowicz impersonation in the first place it feels kind of redundant to replace him. And also to not tell him until after the premiere, probably only because fans were tweeting asking why they didn't get Serafinowicz to do it, was hugely unprofessional. Yikes.

• 3 months later...

I was throwing some shit out at my mom's last week and came across the boxes containing all the old EU books. I'm delving back into the Rogue Squadron series now. Not sure if there's any others I should read through once more outside of the Thrawn and Darth Bane trilogies though...

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

'm delving back into the Rogue Squadron series now. Not sure if there's any others I should read through once more outside of the Thrawn and Darth Bane trilogies though...

Absolutely any of the Stover books, because they're magnificent. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, BloodyJollyRoger said:

Star Wars is a Space Fantasy. It isn’t Science Fiction.

Basically, yes. I consider them space opera, but more from the science fantasy than the science fiction direction.

Star Wars Expanded Universe  isn’t good.

It certainly has a lot of dreck in it, but that said, I was glad it existed.

Thrawn is overpowered. He is 9 times smarter than a human being.

Given that he loses at the end, he was just powerful enough! He was one of the best things about the Expanded Universe.

Got killed because of some contrived reason.

Disagree here as well. The cynical exploitation of the Noghri which Darth Vader started and which Thrawn perpetuated led to his receiving his just desserts. Rukh had been a constant presence in Zahn's trilogy, Thrawn's shadow, so to have him be the one to turn and kill him was ... well, quite artful, I guess I should say, which is funny, given Thrawn's last words.

32 minutes ago, Ran said:

Basically, yes. I consider them space opera, but more from the science fantasy than the science fiction direction.

It certainly has a lot of dreck in it, but that said, I was glad it existed.

Given that he loses at the end, he was just powerful enough! He was one of the best things about the Expanded Universe.

Disagree here as well. The cynical exploitation of the Noghri which Darth Vader started and which Thrawn perpetuated led to his receiving his just desserts. Rukh had been a constant presence in Zahn's trilogy, Thrawn's shadow, so to have him be the one to turn and kill him was ... well, quite artful, I guess I should say, which is funny, given Thrawn's last words.

Thrawn wins because the plot demands it. Thrawn is basically Batman Of Star Wars EU.

Star Wars EU isn’t known for good writing, but glorified fanfic. It alienated a lot of people into getting into the EU.

Archived