Dullest characters

I guess some people aren't understanding what people feel dull. Some of they don't mean their story, some of them don't mean their personallity, some of them mean both and etc. Dullness is the opposite of interesting and engaging. So for example, when Dany stops being a btotal badass to become more political people didn't like it (shown by the amount of people that find her dull), when Jon refuses to change his personallity in the books and stays the naive fucker he is (by refusing Stannis help to become a Stark for honour and at the same time sending men from the wall to rescue Arya) people stop being engaged as they were. Simple as that. I don't know if anyone in their right minds would think Dany and Jon or Sansa don't have a big role to be in part at the end.

1 hour ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Let us address Dany's plot  in aSoIaF.  George took her chapters alone and published them.  Guess what, he won a Hugo Award for Dany's chapter.  She has the strongest chapters in the book and they can stand on their own.  It is a testament to the strength and depth of her plot that she can have a theatre all to herself in Essos.  It is a one-woman show until ASOS and ADWD and yet they were good enough to earn George another award.

Do Dany's story affect the plot in the west?  You bet they do.  Here are some examples of how her story fits into the rest of the novels.

1. Robert's plans to assassinate her caused a rift between him and Ned.
  2. Barristan escapes to Essos to find and serve her.
  3. The birth of her dragons is the current buzz in Oldtowne.
  4. Sam, Aemon, Gilly, and Daeron take a detour and an unpaid Leave of Absence from their duties to find her.
  5. Doran's plot is dependent on what Dany chooses to do.
  6. The whole Ironborn story arc involves Dany..  They want to woo her and control her powers.
  7. Marwyn leaves the citadel to find the dragon queen.
  8. Quentyn, Gerris, and Archibald left Dorne for Meereen.

The plot of the story revolves around three centers:  Dany, Jon, and Tyrion.  It doesn't matter where they are.  The other characters follow them and the plot will likely converge in the last book.  Bran is an important person  too and the story in the north might start revolving around him now that Jon is 10-7.

Thank you.  You said so eloquently that which I had been trying to get across.  Hopefully that puts the argument to bed.

7 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

I'd have never thought that so many people dislike Daenerys in the series, damn.

Those are generally Jon Snow fans who are afraid Dany would steal his limelight. Generally they say they find Dany boring or dull but it seems they are so obsessed with her that they can't stop talking about her. It's quite ironic.

Dany seems to bring passion in both likes and dislikes, creates more debates and the opposite of dull. When you have more threads dedicated to debate her actions as opposed to a character where most of the threads dedicated to him are about how his parentage would make him X it really says.

4 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

Dany seems to bring passion in both likes and dislikes, creates more debates and the opposite of dull. When you have more threads dedicated to debate her actions as opposed to a character where most of the threads dedicated to him are about how his parentage would make him X it really says.

I think a good barometer for "dull" in the sense the OP asked it, is "do you enjoy, and really  want to read that person's chapters", assuming they are a POV character- if not a POV character, then the same question but change the end to "chapters involving that person".

I literally can't stand reading about Dany. And I can only a slight bit more stand reading about Jon. That's the definition of dull. It is work for me to read about Dany. Whereas I enjoy reading about Sansa, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Catelyn, Brienne, Davos, Arya, Bran, and even Theon.

9 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

I think a good barometer for "dull" in the sens e the OP asked it, is "do you enjoy, and really  want to read that person's chapters", assuming they are a POV character- if not a POV character, then the same question but change the end to "chapters involving that person".

I literally can't stand reading about Dany. And I can only a slight bit more stand reading about Jon. That's the definition of dull. It is work for me to read about Dany. Whereas I enjoy reading about Sansa, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Catelyn, Brienne, Davos, Arya, Bran, and even Theonfa

That's personal preference. Yes my choice Jon Snow is personal preference too. I can't remember his arc for 4 books and only the 5th book interested me because he dies there. I am hardly interested in even debating about him and only arguments I have about him is how he deserves death in ADWD. Even his parentage or his future role doesn't spike my interest. In that sense yeah he is the dullest to me. That's why I named him.

But the way to objectively measure the actual dullness of a character is the kind of response they receive. This isn't only about POV characters but every character. It's bad to judge with chapters. Sansa, Dany, Stannis, Cersei even Jon are characters who always evoke strong opinions among fandom which is opposite of dull. Dull characters don't create debates and there will be no passion in liking and disliking them. In that case both Dany and Jon fare well.

So personally Jon for me. Objectively Quentyn and Arianne.

1 hour ago, khal drogon said:

Those are generally Jon Snow fans who are afraid Dany would steal his limelight. Generally they say they find Dany boring or dull but it seems they are so obsessed with her that they can't stop talking about her. It's quite ironic.

People on this thread were making a case about the fall of epicness and badassery that Dany's chapters had in the past. At meereen he just sits around planning stuff and people were used to have her thrive to achieve what she wanted, and doing decisions that would affect her directly, like killing the astapor master of slaves, killing the mage at the HotU, burning Qarth down in search of her rightful treasures etc. Now she just send orders and fucks with Daario, that's why people seem her as boring, not me, but I can understand the reason behind it.

10 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

People on this thread were making a case about the fall of epicness and badassery that Dany's chapters had in the past. At meereen he just sits around planning stuff and people were used to have her thrive to achieve what she wanted, and doing decisions that would affect her directly, like killing the astapor master of slaves, killing the mage at the HotU, burning Qarth down in search of her rightful treasures etc. Now she just send orders and fucks with Daario, that's why people seem her as boring, not me, but I can understand the reason behind it.

For me, it's a lot of things, but mainly.... Because in most of the other parts of all of the books, a character will show up in Sansa's chapter, then Tyion's chapter, then Davos's chapter, etc. But 99% of Dany's interactions have been with people who only show up in Dany chapters (this gets less so in aDwD, I guess). Sure, she impacts the story tangentially. But, Xaro Xoan Daxos (or w/e his name is)? Literally, only Dany's chapters. etc etc etc. That's why I do enjoy Whitebeard.

It's like trying to keep up with TWO copies of War and Peace. One is enough.

5 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

For me, it's a lot of things, but mainly.... Because in most of the other parts of all of the books, a character will show up in Sansa's chapter, then Tyion's chapter, then Davos's chapter, etc. But 99% of Dany's interactions have been with people who only show up in Dany chapters (this gets less so in aDwD, I guess).

Oh, I see. It's understandable. I don't know man this thread is getting long hahahaha I don't know anything anymore. People has the right to express their opinions. So I don't care much hahaha

2 hours ago, khal drogon said:

That's personal preference. Yes my choice Jon Snow is personal preference too. I can't remember his arc for 4 books and only the 5th book interested me because he dies there. I am hardly interested in even debating about him and only arguments I have about him is how he deserves death in ADWD. Even his parentage or his future role doesn't spike my interest. In that sense yeah he is the dullest to me. That's why I named him.

But the way to objectively measure the actual dullness of a character is the kind of response they receive. This isn't only about POV characters but every character. It's bad to judge with chapters. Sansa, Dany, Stannis, Cersei even Jon are characters who always evoke strong opinions among fandom which is opposite of dull. Dull characters don't create debates and there will be no passion in liking and disliking them. In that case both Dany and Jon fare well.

So personally Jon for me. Objectively Quentyn and Arianne.

Personal preference!  Exactly!  We like povs of people we like.  We get bored reading povs of people we don't like.  I find the following list tough to read through even after an expresso.

1. Duncan
  2. Jon
  3. Davos
  4. Brienne
  5. Asha

I find hard to understand how the dunk and egg tales are popular.  Riding on the coat tails of the main books?

7 hours ago, The Hammer of Justice said:

Jon Snow and Sansa

My answer considered only the character, not if I enjoy his POVs or not, Jon Snow is one of the dullest characters, but his story is interesting, so I kinda enjoyed his POVs....as for Sansa, she is dull and her story is uninteresting, so it is one of the main POVs that I enjoyed the least.

I find Dany the exact opposite of Jon Snow, she is a pretty interesting character, but her story became very boring after AGoT, so I usually don't enjoy manyof her POVs

4 hours ago, Princess Daenerys said:

Personal preference!  Exactly!  We like povs of people we like.  We get bored reading povs of people we don't like.  I find the following list tough to read through even after an expresso.

1. Duncan
  2. Jon
  3. Davos
  4. Brienne
  5. Asha

I find hard to understand how the dunk and egg tales are popular.  Riding on the coat tails of the main books?

I agree on the Dunk tales. It's nothing like ASOIAF to read. So I stopped reading after few pages. Maybe I have to give it another try. Maybe it gets better. 

6 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Personally those chapters made me appreciate her character more and more. They had character development that is not found in the chapters that show badassery. And please stop making it as if those entire chapters she did nothing but fucking Daario. That's something what anti- Dany circlejerk would say. There are a lot of things going on in the story than Daario. People always complain that she has not got her ass in Westeros or she was not burning stuff there but I think they are very important chapters for her because she deals with actual ruling there. 

6 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Personally those chapters made me appreciate her character more and more. They had character development that is not found in the chapters that show badassery. And please stop making it as if those entire chapters she did nothing but fucking Daario. That's something what anti- Dany circlejerk would say. There are a lot of things going on in the story than Daario. People always complain that she has not got her ass in Westeros or she was not burning stuff there but I think they are very important chapters for her because she deals with actual ruling there. 

Brienne (and her view of the world) is pretty dull imo. She's a relatively fantastic person and interesting things happen around/to her, but nevertheless she is still dull.

Dany and Jon can get quite dull sometimes, though it's more noticeable with Dany because for a long time nothing interesting happened around her.

Jury's still out on Bran for me.

11 hours ago, khal drogon said:

I was quoting people, it's not my opinion. Lulz

20 hours ago, HaeSuse said:

I think a good barometer for "dull" in the sense the OP asked it, is "do you enjoy, and really  want to read that person's chapters", assuming they are a POV character- if not a POV character, then the same question but change the end to "chapters involving that person".

I literally can't stand reading about Dany. And I can only a slight bit more stand reading about Jon. That's the definition of dull. It is work for me to read about Dany. Whereas I enjoy reading about Sansa, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Catelyn, Brienne, Davos, Arya, Bran, and even Theon.

I cannot understand, Jesus, how anyone can enjoy reading Sansa.  There is something for everyone.  I guess.

Archived