Poke 'em and Go! Continue playing

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh! Almost forgot my big news! I got my very first invite to an Ex raid yesterday! It pops up on your screen like it’s written on an invitation card and you get a week’s notice of the time and place. Mine is next Monday at 2:00 in the afternoon in a neighborhood to the west of me. I was told by the raiders that there are certain gyms that trigger invites, so you have to ask in your community which locations they are.

In the US, at least, it is gyms in Parks, and ours have always been on weekends. 2 pm on a Monday here, and no one here would should up. Kids are in school, adults at work (or school).

There was a report a while back that said you had to raid at that gym and you had to spend some time in that gym to increase your chances (but neither of these are guarantees, as I had done that the first 2 times and didn't get an invite. I swear I would have quit for good if I hadn't gotten one this last time around).

I think some businesses complained about the hoards showing up the first time, so ever since then, we've only had them in parks or park like areas.

I've only seen them in parks, and people who can't make Mondays give their phones to a trusted friend, I guess.

eta: And I've only been raiding for the last month or so, ever since I ran in to a local group at my park and they added me to the WhatsApp group. :)

1 hour ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I think some businesses complained about the hoards showing up the first time, so ever since then, we've only had them in parks or park like areas.

Nah. Since the very beginning they've been in park-classified gyms or sponsored gyms. 

It's based on the tags that are used in Open Street Map, the free open mapping system. Essentially areas are given certain tags, and if a gym is located in a small region that has that tag, it is eligible. 

One of the best, easiest ways to see this is using this site: https://www.pokemongomap.info. If you choose settings, go to visuals, and pick parks from the parks dropdown, it'll highlight any area that would be considered a 'park'. In theory, any gym that is located in a park can be EX-eligible.

From there, you need to have at least one raid that week which had a LOT of people at it to trigger an EX raid. It used to be at least 40, but it's now likely to be 20. Note that you can get a pass if you raid there at another time - for instance, I've gotten a couple passes based on doing a magikarp raid solo, because some other set of people had triggered a pass earlier in that week with a bunch of people. So a lot of people simply go to EX-eligible gym to gym, doing whatever raids they can, and hope they got triggered earlier. I've been doing that for about a month and a half now and have gotten a pass every single week that way. 

46 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Nah. Since the very beginning they've been in park-classified gyms or sponsored gyms. 

Our first one was at a historic building at the main intersection in our town  (my son had an invite). We gathered in the parking lot across the street.(one of only 2 parking small lots in "downtown".)  The next 2 were at the park.

(yes, our town is so small that we have just 1 main intersection)

30 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Our first one was at a historic building at the main intersection in our town  (my son had an invite). We gathered in the parking lot across the street.(one of only 2 parking small lots in "downtown".)  The next 2 were at the park.

(yes, our town is so small that we have just 1 main intersection)

I bet you that one is one of the tags allowed, like 'historical' or 'monument' or something like that. There are a bunch of things that don't fit the actual park name but end up being allowed. This article has a list of some of them - since this time, others have been discovered.

24 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I bet you that one is one of the tags allowed, like 'historical' or 'monument' or something like that. There are a bunch of things that don't fit the actual park name but end up being allowed. This article has a list of some of them - since this time, others have been discovered.

It's interesting.  I hadn't seen an article about that until after the first ex-raid.  I have to admit, it was a bad location...limited parking during business hours. Good thing our group is as small as the town ;) (would have been worse on a weekday as it is the town hall building parking lot we used).  The park is much better, and now we have another gym at the little pond/park down the road from my house. Hopefully with 3 options (2 at the main park, one at the pond) we won't have any more in the middle of "down town" :lol: 

On 5/7/2018 at 9:25 PM, Kalbear said:

It's based on the tags that are used in Open Street Map, the free open mapping system. Essentially areas are given certain tags, and if a gym is located in a small region that has that tag, it is eligible. 

One of the best, easiest ways to see this is using this site: https://www.pokemongomap.info. If you choose settings, go to visuals, and pick parks from the parks dropdown, it'll highlight any area that would be considered a 'park'. In theory, any gym that is located in a park can be EX-eligible.

From there, you need to have at least one raid that week which had a LOT of people at it to trigger an EX raid. It used to be at least 40, but it's now likely to be 20. Note that you can get a pass if you raid there at another time - for instance, I've gotten a couple passes based on doing a magikarp raid solo, because some other set of people had triggered a pass earlier in that week with a bunch of people. So a lot of people simply go to EX-eligible gym to gym, doing whatever raids they can, and hope they got triggered earlier. I've been doing that for about a month and a half now and have gotten a pass every single week that way. 

Thanks! The only local gym is in a park apparently so who knows, maybe ill get a pass in the summer. Though the most ive ever seen there were seven people at one time, and that was a very rare occurance :D

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Anyone else seeing new gyms sprouting up?  On my ride home yesterday I noticed a new gym next door to one I frequent...but I haven't seen anything else new...

Yeah, there's a bunch of new gyms and stops; they recently imported Ingress data. They removed some stops, too. 

Yep, we had a few added a couple of weeks ago.  One is at the American Legion.  A lady (who happens to be a member of that AL) was in the parking lot, battling the gym, and a person from there asked what she was doing. She told them and they said she can't use their parking lot.  And she's a member! They are also going to ask that the gym be removed. What a bunch of curmudgeons.  So glad I never got around to joining.

(it's on a little side street, so no on street parking--access only by walking since that is the only parking lot around)

Archived