Poke 'em and Go! Continue playing

Fragile Bird

Star Pieces will double your stardust for half an hour. People are recommending to use it in conjunction with incense and lures. And if you can wait, use them when there is a Double Stardust event!

Do not use them when using a Lucky Egg. You will not get double stardust.

I am considering increasing the size of both my pokemon and item bags. I swore to myself I would go through my Pokémon and keep only one of everything other than my fighters, but after doing an initial overhaul, I am again loaded with too many I don't want to get rid off. <sighs> That's how they make money!

I am also hating the change in the look of the mon on the screen, I feel like I'm drunk when I see them. :P 

12 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Again, if you've gotten coins for that day, you won't get any more. You can only get 50 per day regardless. If you have 17 guys come back after being in gyms for 80 days, and you've already gotten coins for that day, you get nothing. 

Which is a horrible flaw of the current coin system...

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Star Pieces will double your stardust for half an hour. People are recommending to use it in conjunction with incense and lures. And if you can wait, use them when there is a Double Stardust event!

I believe if you do this, you get triple stardust, not quadruple. Just as a note.

43 minutes ago, mormont said:

I believe if you do this, you get triple stardust, not quadruple. Just as a note.

Seems a bit odd - if you use a Lucky Egg during a double XP event you get quadruple XP, so why the inconsistency?

12 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Seems a bit odd - if you use a Lucky Egg during a double XP event you get quadruple XP, so why the inconsistency?

Don't know. This comes from observing my gf play, not from my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt: but I think the way Stardust works is that 'double' stardust is actually 'bonus stardust equal to the original amount'.

9 hours ago, mormont said:

Star Pieces only get you 50% more stardust, so if it' being doubked, then it would be a tripled around, not quadruple...

I was fighting in a gym and one of the recommended Pokémon was a Kingdra, which I always viewed as a big seahorse. Man, that sucker moved so fast I couldn’t believe my eyes! I took a closer look at it afterwards and I didn’t realize it’s also a dragon, and that mon I used had the Dragon Breath move! I might just have to power it up now!

I missed the start of the Mew challenges, but I'm determined to find a Mew. Of course, it might take a while since I will need to evolve another Magikarp. I have like 40 candies of 400.  :lol:

Biggest challenge so far was evolve 20 pokemon, which took about 10 minutes and I never made it past the gen 1 pokemon :lol: obviously, I have not been evolving things for points. Points were never my goal, I just want 1 of everything

I have heard there are a bunch of ghosts to catch and maybe 10 raids to do before getting to that final task of evolving Magikap

Is there a special area separate from the regular research into Mew that I'm not seeing...? SCRATCH THAT. Found the list...holy jeebus...glad I have been sitting on over 400 magikarp candy...but finding some of that other stuff...whee!

And got a research task of catching three flying types and since that moment I've not seen a single pidgey, spearow, or tailow, all of which my area is generally lousy with...

23 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Is there a special area separate from the regular research into Mew that I'm not seeing...? SCRATCH THAT. Found the list...holy jeebus...glad I have been sitting on over 400 magikarp candy...but finding some of that other stuff...whee!

And got a research task of catching three flying types and since that moment I've not seen a single pidgey, spearow, or tailow, all of which my area is generally lousy with...

Did you get a Ditto? I was sweating bullets over that, and I went on a raid for Latios (did two of them, in fact) and in both cases the Latio was just a dirty bugger and almost no one caught it. So while everyone else was working on their capture, I morosely cleaned up all the Pokémon around the gym, and lo and behold caught a Ditto. When I announced that there were a lot of eager faces turned to me, let me tell you!

My big problem is going to be throwing 3 curveballs in a row. I have been practicing all week, and have probably gone through 400 pokeballs (I've been a busy little beaver, yes) and I still can't consistently and accurately through the curveball. Sometimes it works beautifully, other times I totally miss, and other times I thought I threw a curveball but it wasn't.

Dittos are found in parking lots. I have caught Zubats and, I think, Pidgeys, that turned into Dittos, and something else too. Today it was a Zigzag thingy!

19 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did you get a Ditto? I was sweating bullets over that, and I went on a raid for Latios (did two of them, in fact) and in both cases the Latio was just a dirty bugger and almost no one caught it. So while everyone else was working on their capture, I morosely cleaned up all the Pokémon around the gym, and lo and behold caught a Ditto. When I announced that there were a lot of eager faces turned to me, let me tell you!

My big problem is going to be throwing 3 curveballs in a row. I have been practicing all week, and have probably gone through 400 pokeballs (I've been a busy little beaver, yes) and I still can't consistently and accurately through the curveball. Sometimes it works beautifully, other times I totally miss, and other times I thought I threw a curveball but it wasn't.

Dittos are found in parking lots. I have caught Zubats and, I think, Pidgeys, that turned into Dittos, and something else too. Today it was a Zigzag thingy!

Over the last year plus, I've caught 41 dittos. One just last week or so  But they're so random and not since the research has started. 

So here is the full list of tasks: (I'm on stage 5...looking for 5 more ghosts and a ditto. It might be a long time before I complete stage 6, but I have gained nearly 100 candies in just 24 hours...only 300 more to go :P  the Kanto bonus plus pineapples get you 12 candies for each one)

A Mythical Discovery: tasks and rewards

Here are the tasks you need to complete in each stage on A Mythical Discovery:

Stage 1

• Spin 5 PokéStops
  • Catch 10 Pokémon
  • Transfer 5 Pokémon

Rewards: 10x Great Balls, 1x incubator, 3x lure modules

Stage 2

• Earn 2 candies walking your buddy
  • Make 10 Great throws
  • Hatch 3 eggs

Rewards: 2000 Stardust, 3x incense, 20x Great balls

Stage 3

• Reach level 15
  • Battle in a gym 2 times
  • Battle in 2 raids

Rewards: 1x Fast Technical Machine, 1x Charged Technical Machine, 2x Star Pieces

Stage 4

• Earn a Silver Kanto medal
  • Evolve 20 Pokémon
  • Earn 5 candies walking your buddy

Rewards: 4000 Stardust, 3x lure modules, 20x Great balls

Stage 5

• Catch Ditto
  • Make 20 Great throws
  • Catch 10 Ghost-type Pokémon

Rewards: 1x Premium raid pass, 1x lucky egg, 15x revives

Stage 6

• Reach level 25
  • Battle 10 raids
  • Evolve a Magikarp (400 candies required)

Rewards: 6000 Stardust, 5x rare candy, 3x incense

Stage 7

• Catch 50 Pokémon using a berry
  • Make 1 Excellent curve throw
  • Earn a Gold Kanto medal

Rewards: 8000 Stardust, 5x Ultra balls

Stage 8

•  Catch Mew

Rewards: 10000 Stardust, 1x Super Incubator, 20x Mew candy

I must say one thing about this Field Research event, I am racking up points. Just over a month since I made it to Level 35, with 1,500,000 points to get to make Level 36, and I'm already at 685,000. It took me all winter to collect the 1.25 M for Level 35, I figure I'll be 36 in a month or so. :)

6 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Does the curveball bonus even still work? Let alone an excellent one...?  I keep throwing, mostly decent, curved throws and no acknowledgment of it.

Yes, it works, but I guess there has to be a particular curve. In the last week as I’ve tried to consistently throw curve balls I’ve been disappointed by some throws that were ‘great’ or ‘nice’ but not curveballs. I don’t think I will ever throw three great curveballs in a row, it will sit there under Field Research forever.

’Excellent’ balls still happen, but seem rarer now.

41 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yes, it works, but I guess there has to be a particular curve. In the last week as I’ve tried to consistently throw curve balls I’ve been disappointed by some throws that were ‘great’ or ‘nice’ but not curveballs. I don’t think I will ever throw three great curveballs in a row, it will sit there under Field Research forever.

’Excellent’ balls still happen, but seem rarer now.

You can delete field research tasks. I deleted the 3 excellent throws in a row (might get 3 in a month, but not in a row, :lol:  I'm going to have to buy balls for the first time in a long time through stage 7 and that 1 excellent on a curve ball.)

I wanted to share a little advice on the 10 raid battles.  You can do them all with just one 1 raid pass. You need to start as soon after the raid starts as possible. Go in with all low CP pokemons, when they get killed, don't rejoin the battle, let time run out. Then go back in, again with low CP, rinse and repeat. You can keep going back in the same raid, so it will only cost you 1 or 2 raid passes to do all 10 raids (the legendary raids are 5 minutes total, so max you can do is 9, but the regular raids that are 3 minutes, can get you all 10 in 1 raid)

1 hour ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

You can delete field research tasks. I deleted the 3 excellent throws in a row (might get 3 in a month, but not in a row, :lol:  I'm going to have to buy balls for the first time in a long time through stage 7 and that 1 excellent on a curve ball.)

I wanted to share a little advice on the 10 raid battles.  You can do them all with just one 1 raid pass. You need to start as soon after the raid starts as possible. Go in with all low CP pokemons, when they get killed, don't rejoin the battle, let time run out. Then go back in, again with low CP, rinse and repeat. You can keep going back in the same raid, so it will only cost you 1 or 2 raid passes to do all 10 raids (the legendary raids are 5 minutes total, so max you can do is 9, but the regular raids that are 3 minutes, can get you all 10 in 1 raid)

Fantastic advice! Thanks, Lany!

Archived